By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

Tober said:
Chrkeller said:

Does that mean citra core in retroarch will be removed? That would suck.

I didn't even know they were made by the same people. But looks like they need to end it all.

I should make a backup or two.  I get going after emulation for things that are readily available, but not sure how going after citra is beneficial to Nintendo.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
Tober said:

I didn't even know they were made by the same people. But looks like they need to end it all.

I should make a backup or two.  I get going after emulation for things that are readily available, but not sure how going after citra is beneficial to Nintendo.

I'm speculating here, but I think Citra just got in the crosshairs because it's the same company as Yuzu, not because Citra was targeted specifically.

So they were emulating current Switch games and then charging for access to their emulator.

Aren’t those literally the two things you DO NOT do w/ emulation?

PAOerfulone said:

So they were emulating current Switch games and then charging for access to their emulator.

There is a company behind Yuzu, Tropical Haze LLC, not just fans doing home brewing in their spare time.

I don't know how they funded it or what this company does otherwise. But apparently they have enough money to pay Nintendo $2.4 Million.

There was mention of a Patreon account for Yuzu specifically that people donated money to.

Oh forgot Citra (3DS emulator) was worked by these guys too. They locked down their discord and the GitHub page is now down

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network

That was fast; seems they knew their goose was cooked and decided it wasn't worth the fight.
Others should take note and not repeat their mistakes. Emulation is not inherently bad or illegal, but you gotta be damn careful not to step across that blurred line.

Only fear now is that this will embolden efforts to get rid of emulation in general. As far as I can see yuzu didn't do anything different than Bleem which had the legal battle that set the precedent we stand on today.

lansingone said:

Only fear now is that this will embolden efforts to get rid of emulation in general. As far as I can see yuzu didn't do anything different than Bleem which had the legal battle that set the precedent we stand on today.

They violated copyright laws which bleem didn't.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Tober said:
PAOerfulone said:

There is a company behind Yuzu, Tropical Haze LLC, not just fans doing home brewing in their spare time.

I don't know how they funded it or what this company does otherwise. But apparently they have enough money to pay Nintendo $2.4 Million.

There was mention of a Patreon account for Yuzu specifically that people donated money to.

That was to pay the salary of programmers, that work for yuzu.
Which was why yuzu is in a better state, than other switch emulators, and quicker to find solutions to issues with new games ect.
I wouldn't really call that profiting, if most of that is just kept for paychecks.