By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

First Yuzu devs pirated TotK before it was out. Next they worked specifically on improving compatibility with said game. Finally they took money for doing so.

Anybody that still thinks Yuzu devs had the best of intentions and just wanted to "preserve games" is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless a console is long discontinued emulators are about piracy. Always will be. Always have been.

Edit: So whether or not they stole the SDK can't be confirmed. The actual stash of stolen games has been confirmed though. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 05 March 2024

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
PortisheadBiscuit said:

1 million TOTK downloads before release is wild and truly shows the magnitude of potential lost revenue. I'm with Nintendo on this one, especially in the current climate where thousands in the gaming industry are losing their jobs daily. Piracy isn't just stealing from Nintendo, its stealing from people who spent countless hours creating these games.

First off, no one has any obligation to prop Nintendo's or other game developers' business.

Not to mention piracy obviously isn't stealing. Can't believe it's 2024 and some people are still reheating this strawman.

Ah, the memories...

Fun fact: They used the music without permission, or in other words, they pirated the song for an anti-piracy ad.

https://twitter.com/cerebralbore101/status/1764976956146118866?t=RBnm8_C7dePNLW_ZZmDXcA&s=19

Cerebralbore101 said:

You have a right to make backup copies of your games, but do you have a right to make backup copies of decryption keys?

Doesn't the law state that helping people bypass copyright protection is illegal?

Even when copyright law permits your use of a work, it may be illegal to circumvent an access-control technology to make that use. From the university of Michigan...

17 U.S.C. § 1201 prohibits the circumvention of any technological measure that “effectively controls access” to a work that is protected under U.S. copyright law. For instance, it is generally illegal under this provision to circumvent the Content Scramble System that restricts access to in-copyright works on some DVDs. This is known as the anti-circumvention provision of section 1201. Section 1201 also prohibits trafficking in tools that circumvent effective access controls or circumvent controls that protect “a right of the copyright holder under this title.” That is known as the anti-trafficking provision.

Did Bleem allow people to play digital copies of games? Perhaps Bleem won their legal battle because people were simply using it to play games they already owned? Or perhaps Bleem allowed people to download and pirate games off the Internet too. Anybody know the history of Bleem well enough to answer this?

As far as I'm concerned Yuzu and MigSwitch devs are leeches that skirt around the grey areas of the law with no regard to the damage they cause.

https://youtu.be/UGHul1PrXCE?si=Ujz9DuyJj2mzeCEm

So I answered my own question. Bleem and Connectix let you use burned discs but provided no instructions on how to do so. They also did not rely on a copyrighted bios like Yuzu does. This is why Bleem and Connectix won their cases. They did not facilitate piracy unlike Yuzu. 

Last edited by Cerebralbore101 - on 05 March 2024

Cerebralbore101 said:

First Yuzu devs pirated TotK before it was out. Next they worked specifically on improving compatibility with said game. Finally they took money for doing so.

Anybody that still thinks Yuzu devs had the best of intentions and just wanted to "preserve games" is sticking their head in the sand.

Unless a console is long discontinued emulators are about piracy. Always will be. Always have been.

Edit: So whether or not they stole the SDK can't be confirmed. The actual stash of stolen games has been confirmed though. 

The Yuzu devs, used a leaked nintendo rom of Tears of the Kingdom. I think another question should be why nintendo leaked a rom?

Yes, this is not a good look, but they did that in the hopes of getting their emulator working well with tears of the kingdom early on.
Thats like their entire goal with Yuzu being not just a fan-made love project/ hobby like thing, but a group of guys hired programmers with paetron. Its what sets it apart from other switch emulators, that dont run games as well, or are as quick to get new games running perfectly.

Yes, the fact that they got it to work almost instantly, and well before Tears of the kingdom was even released on the switch.... is crazy.
Yes, they did infact like double their paetron donations, for a few months, likely off of people wanting to play tears of the kingdom early.

This is why they settled for $2,4m. Which is likely more money than they ever made from Yuzu.

Still I dont get why this makes them out to be like badguys....
They aimed to make a great emulator and did.
Are they responsible for how others use it?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 05 March 2024

Around the Network
G2ThaUNiT said:

Ryujinx devs better not make the same mistakes Yuzu devs did lol.

AFAIK, Ryujinx is now the only, at least notable, Switch emulator.

This is the only hope left.... its not as great as yuzu, from what I heard.
They better not be doing anything fool hardy.

JRPGfan said:
G2ThaUNiT said:

Ryujinx devs better not make the same mistakes Yuzu devs did lol.

AFAIK, Ryujinx is now the only, at least notable, Switch emulator.

This is the only hope left.... its not as great as yuzu, from what I heard.
They better not be doing anything fool hardy.

IIRC, Ryijunx is actually more accurate and compatible with more titles than Yuzu.

JRPGfan said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

The Yuzu devs, used a leaked nintendo rom of Tears of the Kingdom. I think another question should be why nintendo leaked a rom?

Yes, this is not a good look, but they did that in the hopes of getting their emulator working well with tears of the kingdom early on.
Thats like their entire goal with Yuzu being not just a fan-made love project/ hobby like thing, but a group of guys hired programmers with paetron. Its what sets it apart from other switch emulators, that dont run games as well, or are as quick to get new games running perfectly.

Yes, the fact that they got it to work almost instantly, and well before Tears of the kingdom was even released on the switch.... is crazy.
Yes, they did infact like double their paetron donations, for a few months, likely off of people wanting to play tears of the kingdom early.

This is why they settled for $2,4m. Which is likely more money than they ever made from Yuzu.

Still I dont get why this makes them out to be like badguys....
They aimed to make a great emulator and did.
Are they responsible for how others use it?

Pretty sure if a bartender overserves alcohol they are legally liable. If I give your alarm panel key code to a junkie, I would also be liable for any theft imo. 

I'd argue the closure of Citra is inherently a worse consequence of this whole affair than the closure of Yuzu itself.

There are other 3DS emulators, but they're far of where Citra was at.
Glad that I have my New 2DS to still play my games nonetheless !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Mar1217 said:

I'd argue the closure of Citra is inherently a worse consequence of this whole affair than the closure of Yuzu itself.

There are other 3DS emulators, but they're far of where Citra was at.
Glad that I have my New 2DS to still play my games nonetheless !

Agreed.  I would happily buy 3ds games on the Switch but personally I don't like gaming on a small screen.  There are some quality 3ds games worth playing.  Citra is excellent.  

Edit

I have mixed feelings on emulators.  On one hand I appreciate ownership by Sega, Nintendo, etc.  On the other hand access to legacy titles is god awful.  I always wished companies would embrace emulation and sell old roms for cheap.