By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo is suing the creators of popular Switch emulator Yuzu

JRPGfan said:

Still I dont get why this makes them out to be like badguys....
They aimed to make a great emulator and did.
Are they responsible for how others use it?

They did way more then just develop an emulator, they also disturbed roms, developed tools to circumvent Nintendos copyright and instructed people on how to do so. They broke a lot of laws and had as kich chance of winning this case as I do of winning the lotto.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Around the Network

I have nothing against people who buy Switch games and use their Switch to dump the bios(or whatever) and play the game on an emulator. Thats fine. But I dont know what percentage of people are doing that and how many are pirating games. Thats the difficult situation for me.

Cant the makers of emulators just wait until the console makers have discontinued their current console before they make it public? I understand that by doing that several digital only games will be unlisted from the online store and not able to be preserved, but most games will still be on the online store years after a consoles end.

Good lord........Yuzu devs were worse than we thought!

First rule of breaking the law, fly under the radar, not above it.

G2ThaUNiT said:

This was a civil case. It does not rule out a criminal case will be a follow up.

Remember that in the civil case settlement, the Judge ordered no evidence be destroyed.

Around the Network

This won't affect emulation or emulators at all as Nintendo doesn't care about emulators. Do we really believe Nintendo has no idea Ryujinx exists?

This is all about illegal distribution of intellectual properties. You can't be turning a profit off of someone else's copyright material without the copyright owner's legal consent. When I first heard about them filing the lawsuit I said they can't be going after emulators because emulators are perfectly legal. They're going to be taking a different angle with this and that's what happened. Yuzu was banking off illegal distribution and Nintendo pinched them for it.

SAguy said:
JRPGfan said:

They did way more then just develop an emulator, they also disturbed roms, developed tools to circumvent Nintendos copyright and instructed people on how to do so. They broke a lot of laws and had as kich chance of winning this case as I do of winning the lotto.

G2ThaUNiT said:

Okay I never knew any of this.... Yeah that looks pretty bad.

JRPGfan said:
SAguy said:

G2ThaUNiT said:

Okay I never knew any of this.... Yeah that looks pretty bad.

Yeah indeed Yuzu devs fucked up here. But it doesnt effect emulation and im also sure others will take over Yuzu project since the code is out there.

BUT damnit im upset about CItra. But im sure others will take up that project too.

KLXVER said:

I have nothing against people who buy Switch games and use their Switch to dump the bios(or whatever) and play the game on an emulator. Thats fine. But I dont know what percentage of people are doing that and how many are pirating games. Thats the difficult situation for me.

Cant the makers of emulators just wait until the console makers have discontinued their current console before they make it public? I understand that by doing that several digital only games will be unlisted from the online store and not able to be preserved, but most games will still be on the online store years after a consoles end.

This. Just wait until the console is relegated by its successor and it's no longer the manufacturer's first money maker. They would have saved a world of trouble.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

All devs working on an emulator for a modern console act just like Yuzu devs. We just don't have proof of it. If it's being developed for a console that isn't discontinued the purpose is piracy. Always will be. Always has been.

For older consoles piracy has the purpose of increasing access to games no longer being offered. Without piracy and emulation or older consoles only collectors with og hardware would be able to play older games. And in a world where gen Alpha is hooked on Fortnite instead of Pokemon Red/Blue we do not want to limit access to games! Imagine if the og star wars trilogy were only available on original VHS!

As far as emulation being preservation goes, not a single older console is completely dead. Find me a console where zero working units can be found. Until then emulation is accessibility not preservation.