By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What could the Switch2 'Gimmick' be?

Out of curiosity has anyone played Agards Wrath or RE4 via VR? Those are two games that have peaked my curiosity.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Out of curiosity has anyone played Agards Wrath or RE4 via VR? Those are two games that have peaked my curiosity.

I only started Asgard's Wrath 2, and it's been sitting there for a while, though honestly can't wait to get back to it, but currently I just don't have time to get into, given that it is quite lengthy game (the way I play such games, I know I'd be in the upper part of its scale, which is 120+ hours).

HoloDust said:
Chrkeller said:

I only started Asgard's Wrath 2, and it's been sitting there for a while, though honestly can't wait to get back to it, but currently I just don't have time to get into, given that it is quite lengthy game (the way I play such games, I know I'd be in the upper part of its scale, which is 120+ hours).

The size of the game might make VR worth thr investment.  I think it is tied to Google and not on steam, but that isn't a deal breaker.  

Chrkeller said:

An optional dock pro that substantially increases processing.

Yes.

As some have said, Nin could just leave Switch as it is, but upgrade the performance so it's as next gen as possible, for a reasonable price, and it'll sell.

Knowing Nin, and how creative they like to be, I can't see them simply upgrading Switch, but having an optional GPU boost dock wouldn't mess with the handheld portion at all and would offer a new gimmick, without it really being a gimmick this time.

If you want Switch 2 level performance on a big TV screen through the stock dock, then you've got it out of the box. If you want far better visuals on a big TV screen, then purchase the 'expansion' dock.

This could also be something where 3rd parties who didn't want to port games down to Switch performance levels, and feel the same about Switch 2, could potentially port to Switch 2 expansion dock levels if Nin would let them. Just like how some games for the N64 needed the expansion cartridge. For Switch 2, some games could require the expansion dock. All Nin has to do is explain those types of games wouldn't come to the platform if the dock didn't exist. If you want those games on Switch 2, you purchase the expansion dock and play them on the big screen TV.

Soundwave said:
Jumpin said:

A gimmick generally refers to the name and character of a rapper or wrestler. But I think you're talking about interface features.

I think it'll be the same as the Switch, mainly. Joy Cons - which are really an advancement of the Wii Remotes with interface options closer to the older consoles. I do think that they could add some additional interface features related to health products - we were hearing a lot about their QOL platform. In fact, it's a little curious that they didn't do that with the Switch, especially given that Nintendo saw a massive influx of people looking for interactive fitness products, and it ended up being a very underserved market this generation despite having a large audience that's willing to spend a lot of money on, and Nintendo is losing to companies like Apple and Peloton growing their respective interactive fitness platforms from a few hundred million in 2017, to billions of dollars today. Big missed opportunity for Nintendo in my opinion - especially considering Ring Fit and Switch Sports alone now exceed 27.5 million sales.

Hard to compete with Apple given they have a device (iPhone) that people carry with them all the time and even Apple Watch is quite popular and common these days too ... the best fitness device is one you have with you all the time (to track steps walked, etc.). It would be a pain in the ass to carry a Switch around to track all that. 

Peloton is struggling massively right now, their stock went from like $159/share during the pandemic to now being only $4.35 (yikes!). Total pandemic boom product. 

Fitness is a lucrative market, but it's very much a boom/bust market too, even Nintendo found out the hard way that all those Wii fitness buffs did not come back for Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U. 

Kinda why I think it was a missed opportunity, although, COVID was kinda hard to predict in 2017. But Peloton is still way bigger than it was. The stock value is down but revenue is still higher than pre-COVID, although much declined from its 2021peak (from 4 billion USD down to 2.7-2.8 billion projected for 2024 (flat from the 2.73B of 2023), but still up from the 1.23 billion in 2019. And I agree, Apple’s popularity is because of the (forgive the buzz-term) ubiquitous nature of Apple devices their platform is implemented in.

While a missed opportunity with the Switch, I think Nintendo’s legacy still has some gate open for the future with the QOL platform - as @Tober mentioned, the Vitality sensor was a thing in development.

I also don’t think it will be the only thing. There could be something like a mic for voice commands, or a camera for AR (similar to 3DS).

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
Chrkeller said:

An optional dock pro that substantially increases processing.

Yes.

As some have said, Nin could just leave Switch as it is, but upgrade the performance so it's as next gen as possible, for a reasonable price, and it'll sell.

Knowing Nin, and how creative they like to be, I can't see them simply upgrading Switch, but having an optional GPU boost dock wouldn't mess with the handheld portion at all and would offer a new gimmick, without it really being a gimmick this time.

If you want Switch 2 level performance on a big TV screen through the stock dock, then you've got it out of the box. If you want far better visuals on a big TV screen, then purchase the 'expansion' dock.

This could also be something where 3rd parties who didn't want to port games down to Switch performance levels, and feel the same about Switch 2, could potentially port to Switch 2 expansion dock levels if Nin would let them. Just like how some games for the N64 needed the expansion cartridge. For Switch 2, some games could require the expansion dock. All Nin has to do is explain those types of games wouldn't come to the platform if the dock didn't exist. If you want those games on Switch 2, you purchase the expansion dock and play them on the big screen TV.

I doubt Nintendo would do it, but a dock pro could have upgradeable M2 (22×88).  It really could be ps5 like for games on the big screen.  

DroidKnight said:

I hope it doesn't have another gimmick. Just improvements to the original Switch would be good enough for me.

This.

HoloDust said:
Chrkeller said:

AW2 is Quest 2/Pro/3 exclusive, not sure for original, I know it was made for Rift, not sure if it can be played on other headsets (didn't play that one)

Soundwave said:
Tober said:

This would be interesting. Especially since the expensive Apple VR set is getting headlines. A more approachable device could get people interested if some fun software is there to try it out.

Yeah, there isn't really a cost efficient way other than those dumb mall rides to demo VR to a lot of people. PS4 or PS5 VR you have to pay hundreds of extra dollars on top of the console and the headset is tethered to the console so you can't freely move around. PS4 VR in particular was an enormous mess of cables, a total turn off. 

Meta Quest is more consumer friendly, but still it's strictly a VR only device for $200-$400+, how are you supposed to invest several hundred bucks if you don't even know you like VR in the first place. Meta Quest feels like the Wii successor console in a lot of ways that never was (sorry Wii U). 

Apple Vision Pro is gaining a lot of media attention and Tiktok/Instagram attention is from all reports a pretty mind blowing product, but it's a high, high end luxury product at this point at $3500 to just start and probably needing several hundred dollars more in accessories (carrying case, prescription lenses if you wear glasses, probably need Apple Care for a device that expensive, etc. etc.). When it's gen 2/3 and Apple can get the price down then they'll probably be a ton of interest but for now there's definitely an open window. 

A Switch 2 VR could really help get the tech out at least so people can try it for 15-30 minute bites of time and really there are a ton of Nintendo IP that could wow people in VR. Even like Switch Sports ... you think Wii tennis and bowling was something, there are simple tennis and bowling games on Meta Quest that blow the shit out of Wii Sports/Switch Sports. Nintendo could make something that really feels like you are on a tennis court with a real tennis racket in your hand or in a real bowling ally.

And it could in theory be done in a much more cheap way. The cheapest way is to just use a plastic headset and let the Switch 2 be the VR screen (at 1080p it'll be OK, same resolution as the PS4 VR). And it's a plus, it can add some extra dimension (literally) to games like Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 4, but it doesn't have to be the whole cake, it can be a nice new feature and then you still have a Switch 2 that you can use as a home/portable/VR console. That's a better value proposition to a lot of people than like say Meta Quest where well it's basically only a VR headset, you can't use it for anything else. 

I wonder how much weight it would add if the headset housed an additional battery and headphones.  That would allow decent battery life if the switch was running docked performance levels while in VR mode.

They could launch with a Mario 640 that is a re-imagining of Mario 64's world and levels with modern graphics. I would be down to play a few levels that had Mario 64 graphics.  Maybe you jump into paintings that take you into a world with 64 style graphics that act as hub worlds containing paintings that take you to new levels with modern graphics.

DLC could be throw back to other Mario titles.  I wouldn't mind trying to control The Flash Liquidizer Ultra Dousing Device in VR for instance.

HoloDust said:

I'm expecting VR.

I'm not sure if they are crazy enough to make something like a self-contained Switch Core Unit (containing all the necessary processing hardware inside of it), that you can then plug either into Switch Tablet or Switch VR, but some sort of VR set, like there are many out there for phones, might work, especially if they limit themselves to games like Moss, Astro Bot, and generally 3rd person perspective, instead of first person experiences (which would require for Switch 2 to have quite good Inside-Out tracking).

I really like Quest 2, and it's no wonder it sold 20 millions so far, given that it is a really good standalone headset, and it has quite a few good games, but if anyone will launch mass scale VR revolution, it will be Nintendo.

I wonder how cheap a 1080p or 1440p headset with a simple camera for pass through would be today. But the cheapest way to do it is to obviously just use the Switch 2's screen itself. 

I think Nintendo's point would be to just give people an affordable, friendly way to try it out and to also flex their creativity, VR like 3D polygonal graphics back in the day, is a new frontier.