By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What could the Switch2 'Gimmick' be?

Wman1996 said:
JackHandy said:

I don't think there will be one. I think it'll be like the SNES, which was basically a much more powerful NES with a few more buttons. Could be wrong, though, but that's my guess.

That would be great, but I'm skeptical. I'm pretty sure the GBA (whether you include the GBC in the transition or not) was the last time a Nintendo platform transitioned to the next without gimmicks. I suppose you could say the N64 and GCN fit the bill, but arguably their build/appearance and game media are quite gimmicky. N64 had cartridges still when they were expensive and tougher to pirate, and GameCube used miniDVDs because they were less practical to pirate than CDs and DVDs. Even on the controls side, N64 had four of its face buttons as a camera control gimmick instead of having 4 normal face buttons and two sticks. N64 stubbornly had a three-pronged controller with a weird button layout its whole life instead of making something similar to the Dual Analog and DualShock. 

The most ideal situation would be as you said iterative with no new gimmicks out of the box. But Nintendo is probably going to add something gimmicky even if it doesn't get in the way of the experience (like Switch had HD Rumble and an IR sensor). 

Well, even the SNES had extra buttons, so if they do go that route (basically a more powerful Switch), I expect something newish about it, minor or not. As to how rare that is for the company, remember that they have a brand new man in charge who has yet to release hardware on his watch, so anything is possible. 

No matter what happens, it's going to be very interesting to see how it goes after having so much success. Traditionally, it's been very hard for home consoles to repeat or increase their dominance from one gen to the next. I think only Sony managed to do it, and only once (PS1 to PS2). 

Around the Network

I hope it's mostly just a beefed up Switch. Options for dual screen gameplay would be great though. Play it like a DS in handheld mode and a Wii U in TV mode (but also an option to play just on the TV too). Would make it easier to get DS/3DS remakes as well as DS games on NSO eventually.

My guess would be to use a folding screen. So in handheld mode it might have a 4x6 inch screen but then in tabletop mode you could fold it out to something like 6x8 inches. I'd imagine it'd be too expensive for a switch 2. But still it'd be a cool feature if it could be added.

Maybe ergonomic joycon upgrade with hall sensor joysticks and bigger buttons. Basically not needing 3rd party controllers. And combining the two joycons to make a full pro controller this time maybe without the need for another accessory

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

Chrkeller said:

After reading DF on Rebirth I want an optional pro dock more than ever. On a small screen resolution and fps isn't a concern, not the same on a big screen. Apparently Rebirth on the ps5 is barely higher than 1080p in performance mode (fps). Feels like an optional dock with horsepower increases could help with third party quality ports.

You do know this is what DLSS (probably 3.5) will be used for right ? 

Worse if memory serves right, Rebirth doesn't even use FSR 2 to help with the resolution issue and the softer look due to their poor use AA solutions.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Chrkeller said:

After reading DF on Rebirth I want an optional pro dock more than ever. On a small screen resolution and fps isn't a concern, not the same on a big screen. Apparently Rebirth on the ps5 is barely higher than 1080p in performance mode (fps). Feels like an optional dock with horsepower increases could help with third party quality ports.

You do know this is what DLSS (probably 3.5) will be used for right ? 

Worse if memory serves right, Rebirth doesn't even use FSR 2 to help with the resolution issue and the softer look due to their poor use AA solutions.

I would assume if the ps5 is basically 1080p, at best the S2 would be 640p (probablu 540p), DLSS to 1080p.  Problem is, at least historically, DLSS on low resolutions creates really bad artifacts.  Unless Nividia's AI has gotten a lot better in a short period of time.  

Either way, an optional super dock could be cool.  Especially if it allowed for fps increase.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 26 February 2024

What I would like to see:

1) Ditch the dock. - It's 100% unnecessary in a wireless world.
I have been able to "project" my phone and tablet to my TV wirelessly for a decade now.
- The handheld could then be used as a controller for asymmetrical gameplay.

2) Multiple form factors for multiple demographics, same software and hardware.
- Pure Handheld with a Base, XL and Lite model.
- Pure Home console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

I have been able to "project" my phone and tablet to my TV wirelessly for a decade now.

- Pure Home console.

Will wireless work from a bandwidth perspective?  As in 1080p, 30 fps and full surround sound?  

Pemalite said:

- Pure Home console.

The dock lets me hardwire my Ethernet though ... if you don't mind some extra lag in your competitive games I suppose it is 100% unnecessary

Chrkeller said:
Pemalite said:

- Pure Home console.

Will wireless work from a bandwidth perspective?  As in 1080p, 30 fps and full surround sound?  

Absolutely. I do it in 4k/60fps without any dramas.
4K/60fps needs about 25Mbps of Wifi bandwidth, which every wifi modem since around 2005 should be capable of.

The_Yoda said:

The dock lets me hardwire my Ethernet though ... if you don't mind some extra lag in your competitive games I suppose it is 100% unnecessary

The Ethernet is USB though which adds latency.
USB works by polling instead of generating interrupts remember.

The difference between the two on a latency perspective is negligible.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--