By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What could the Switch2 'Gimmick' be?

Soundwave said:
HoloDust said:

I'm expecting VR.

I'm not sure if they are crazy enough to make something like a self-contained Switch Core Unit (containing all the necessary processing hardware inside of it), that you can then plug either into Switch Tablet or Switch VR, but some sort of VR set, like there are many out there for phones, might work, especially if they limit themselves to games like Moss, Astro Bot, and generally 3rd person perspective, instead of first person experiences (which would require for Switch 2 to have quite good Inside-Out tracking).

I really like Quest 2, and it's no wonder it sold 20 millions so far, given that it is a really good standalone headset, and it has quite a few good games, but if anyone will launch mass scale VR revolution, it will be Nintendo.

I wonder how cheap a 1080p or 1440p headset with a simple camera for pass through would be today. But the cheapest way to do it is to obviously just use the Switch 2's screen itself. 

I think Nintendo's point would be to just give people an affordable, friendly way to try it out and to also flex their creativity, VR like 3D polygonal graphics back in the day, is a new frontier.

Oh, devs are already doing some quite impressive things with VR, whether it's PC, PS or Quest - VR is far from its infancy. But Nintendo with its IPs and visual styles, that are more forgiving of lower powered hardware, could be the thing that launches it into the mass market, especially if Switch 2 in some way can serve as VR.

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:

Out of curiosity has anyone played Agards Wrath or RE4 via VR? Those are two games that have peaked my curiosity.

Asgard Wrath 2 is the best Action RPG game you can buy on the Oculus Quest as of now. Epic in scope and it's content is full enough for a long playthrough. Fact they gave it along with the purchase of an Oculus Quest 3 made it even more worth it really.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Switch 2's "gimmick" will be to build on the success of the Switch by a normal generational leap on much the same system.

I mean I bet there will be SOMETHING new and funky they add to next gen, but it'll probably be something small like Switch's HD Rumble or Switch's IR Sensor. Like a VR mode where you put the screen in a cheap headset and get mediocre VR. Or maybe even something like they offer a mobile data option so you can do online stuff where ever you are and they'll have stuff like the Street Pass thing the 3DS had with a goal to connect players in different ways when they are out and about. I don't expect them to introduce anything as major as Wii motion controls or Wii U async gameplay or Switch hybrid play anywhere.

Yeah, the switch thing of attaching the controller and listening to the click, to change the play mode to TV, portable, tabletop is a great gimmick that defined the switch.
I thing the gimmick of a switch 2 (next iteration of the switch) would improve on this concept, towards modular desing.

So, id thing that now it has swappable/detachable screen.
It would have a processing unit without a screen, and have screen units, controllers units.

Standard SKU would come with the basic processing module, attachable screen, attachable controllers and dock (and cables, charger).
But also allow other SKUs. A Lite SKU, with combined controller+screen and the basic processing unit.
A TV only SKU, with basic processing unit, dock and controller.
And other SKU with XL screen.
And maybe attach the basic processing unit to a VR googles.
And you could assemble your switch 2 according to your needs, just purchasing the other units.
Also, the entry point could be more affordable. But also, who want more modes can spend more and get all possible modules.

Also, I think the controller would be completely different. Maybe more like a pro controller that opens in half, and the handle of each part opens in two handles for confortable play when sharing the controller...

jonathanalis said:

Yeah, the switch thing of attaching the controller and listening to the click, to change the play mode to TV, portable, tabletop is a great gimmick that defined the switch.
I thing the gimmick of a switch 2 (next iteration of the switch) would improve on this concept, towards modular desing.

It would have a processing unit without a screen, and have screen units, controllers units.

Standard SKU would come with the basic processing module, attachable screen, attachable controllers and dock (and cables, charger).
But also allow other SKUs. A Lite SKU, with combined controller+screen and the basic processing unit.
And you could assemble your switch 2 according to your needs, just purchasing the other units.
Also, the entry point could be more affordable. But also, who want more modes can spend more and get all possible modules.

Also, I think the controller would be completely different. Maybe more like a pro controller that opens in half, and the handle of each part opens in two handles for confortable play when sharing the controller...

That's pretty much what I thought of, specifically to accommodate for classic/VR gameplay, but honestly, while I think this is more than doable, I think it would be quite cost ineffective in the whole production/sales chain, so chances of Nintendo actually doing this are pretty slim.

Around the Network
jonathanalis said:

That's an interesting idea. So instead of putting the entire Switch unit into the dock, it's only the processing unit freeing up the screen to be used in a dual screen setup of sorts. In this case I could see the battery being part of the 'screen unit', because when docking the processing unit it would run of a main power supply.

I don't think there will be one. I think it'll be like the SNES, which was basically a much more powerful NES with a few more buttons. Could be wrong, though, but that's my guess.

After reading DF on Rebirth I want an optional pro dock more than ever. On a small screen resolution and fps isn't a concern, not the same on a big screen. Apparently Rebirth on the ps5 is barely higher than 1080p in performance mode (fps). Feels like an optional dock with horsepower increases could help with third party quality ports.

A powerful system.

Jk. VR or something, idk.

JackHandy said:

I don't think there will be one. I think it'll be like the SNES, which was basically a much more powerful NES with a few more buttons. Could be wrong, though, but that's my guess.

That would be great, but I'm skeptical. I'm pretty sure the GBA (whether you include the GBC in the transition or not) was the last time a Nintendo platform transitioned to the next without gimmicks. I suppose you could say the N64 and GCN fit the bill, but arguably their build/appearance and game media are quite gimmicky. N64 had cartridges still when they were expensive and tougher to pirate, and GameCube used miniDVDs because they were less practical to pirate than CDs and DVDs. Even on the controls side, N64 had four of its face buttons as a camera control gimmick instead of having 4 normal face buttons and two sticks. N64 stubbornly had a three-pronged controller with a weird button layout its whole life instead of making something similar to the Dual Analog and DualShock. 

The most ideal situation would be as you said iterative with no new gimmicks out of the box. But Nintendo is probably going to add something gimmicky even if it doesn't get in the way of the experience (like Switch had HD Rumble and an IR sensor). 

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima