By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What could the Switch2 'Gimmick' be?

Pemalite said:

What I would like to see:

1) Ditch the dock. - It's 100% unnecessary in a wireless world.
I have been able to "project" my phone and tablet to my TV wirelessly for a decade now.
- The handheld could then be used as a controller for asymmetrical gameplay.

2) Multiple form factors for multiple demographics, same software and hardware.
- Pure Handheld with a Base, XL and Lite model.
- Pure Home console.

I'd like to see something similar personally. I like where you're going with the wireless feature instead of the basic dock.

If there was a basic hybrid model without a dock, that streamed directly to the TV, then I'd also like to see an expansion boost dock option.

The home console could basically just be a small case with the hybrid and boost dock guts inside. Might make it cheaper that way.

Lite (Pure Handheld)

Hybrid (Wireless to TV, No Dock)

Home Console (Contains Hybrid and Boost Dock guts)

Hybrid (Plus optional Expansion Boost Dock)

Around the Network

Virtual reality. It will be something like the 3ds I believe.

BiON!@ 

The more I think of it, the more I'd be surprised if Switch 2 doesn't have some VR option - with 20+ millions Quest 2 sets sold, there is an obvious market for VR, with the added bonus that there are hundreds of Quest games already made that can be easily ported to Switch 2 for instant VR library.

HoloDust said:

The more I think of it, the more I'd be surprised if Switch 2 doesn't have some VR option - with 20+ millions Quest 2 sets sold, there is an obvious market for VR, with the added bonus that there are hundreds of Quest games already made that can be easily ported to Switch 2 for instant VR library.

In saying that... Playstation VR2 has stopped production because Sony isn't selling enough of them.

Quest 2 is different as that is PC and that is more than just gaming... And has had much longer legs.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
HoloDust said:

In saying that... Playstation VR2 has stopped production because Sony isn't selling enough of them.

Quest 2 is different as that is PC and that is more than just gaming... And has had much longer legs.

Quest is different for being both a full VR standalone console, with the addition of being PCVR (especially being able to be wireless PCVR out of the box).

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
-snip

The_Yoda said:

The dock lets me hardwire my Ethernet though ... if you don't mind some extra lag in your competitive games I suppose it is 100% unnecessary

The Ethernet is USB though which adds latency.
USB works by polling instead of generating interrupts remember.

The difference between the two on a latency perspective is negligible.

If Ethernet is built into the next dock would that then eliminate more latency?  Also in a dockless configuration you are shackled to the playtime your battery allows.  Want to play Zelda for three hours  ... nope battery only lasts 2.5 hours.  Hook it up to power to bypass the battery and you may as well be placing it on a dock again.

After seeing the rumored ps5 pro specs I still think a pro dock makes the most sense, especially for 3rd party ports.

It would be could if they expand the Augmented Reality concept. They had a few games on 3DS and the Mario Kart Toys revolve around that. I'm not sure if the Switch has any games with it, but I think it would be nice to see them going agressive on this matter.

By the way, it should stay for the casual games and new franchises built for that, the main traditional titles should only have it as optional.

The_Yoda said:

If Ethernet is built into the next dock would that then eliminate more latency?  Also in a dockless configuration you are shackled to the playtime your battery allows.  Want to play Zelda for three hours  ... nope battery only lasts 2.5 hours.  Hook it up to power to bypass the battery and you may as well be placing it on a dock again.

If the next Switch uses PCI-Express as it's interconnect between the console and the dock, then that would eliminate that issue entirely unless Nintendo decides to stick with it's current USB ethernet dongle idea, thus necessitating a Ethernet to USB bridge chip somewhere.

A PCI-E connection would also open up the possibility of a dock adding more power to the handheld for TV output... Not sure how Nintendo/nVidia would manage the handshaking for that though, USB is far more convenient and established for that use-case.

But otherwise, nothing will change regardless if it's integrated into the dock or not, you may remove an extra step at the dongle section though which will reduce the latency... But you will still need to deal with USB's interrupt limitations.

I also have an external battery pack that clips onto my Switch OLED and boosts gaming time to around 8 hours... Adds a chunk of weight and bulk. But worth it for long trips.

If I had the choice to enable a "turbo" mode which enables the docked clockspeeds, I probably would, but I don't want to mod my console.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Ethernet is already built into the Oled model dock, are you saying it still uses usb?