By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What could the Switch2 'Gimmick' be?

It wouldn't surprise me if the asymmetrical gameplay idea happens; the ability to interact with Switch in many ways would be great. I would prefer if the unit was just a solid body design this time though with nice sticks/buttons and better ergonomics, able to sync existing joycons to it for table-top play or whatever.

But as far as guessing new additions I'll go with clickable scroll wheels added to the controls.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

A gimmick generally refers to the name and character of a rapper or wrestler. But I think you're talking about interface features.

I think it'll be the same as the Switch, mainly. Joy Cons - which are really an advancement of the Wii Remotes with interface options closer to the older consoles. I do think that they could add some additional interface features related to health products - we were hearing a lot about their QOL platform. In fact, it's a little curious that they didn't do that with the Switch, especially given that Nintendo saw a massive influx of people looking for interactive fitness products, and it ended up being a very underserved market this generation despite having a large audience that's willing to spend a lot of money on, and Nintendo is losing to companies like Apple and Peloton growing their respective interactive fitness platforms from a few hundred million in 2017, to billions of dollars today. Big missed opportunity for Nintendo in my opinion - especially considering Ring Fit and Switch Sports alone now exceed 27.5 million sales.

Hard to compete with Apple given they have a device (iPhone) that people carry with them all the time and even Apple Watch is quite popular and common these days too ... the best fitness device is one you have with you all the time (to track steps walked, etc.). It would be a pain in the ass to carry a Switch around to track all that. 

Peloton is struggling massively right now, their stock went from like $159/share during the pandemic to now being only $4.35 (yikes!). Total pandemic boom product. 

Fitness is a lucrative market, but it's very much a boom/bust market too, even Nintendo found out the hard way that all those Wii fitness buffs did not come back for Wii Sports Club and Wii Fit U. 

Last edited by Soundwave - on 20 February 2024

Soundwave said:

I'd like to see them expand the VR aspect from Labo VR, it felt like Nintendo genuinely had a ton of ideas in that game that it was almost overflowing with content.

Which it won't match a really good VR headset, if Switch 2 has a 1080p screen it should be able to do something a fair bit better than the Switch 1 did with Labo VR. Should be enough to have optional VR play modes for Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 4, etc. etc.

As far as I know, Nintendo sold a few million LABO packs in total, so I could see them continuing this in some shape or form. Good idea!

Last edited by Tober - on 20 February 2024

archbrix said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the asymmetrical gameplay idea happens; the ability to interact with Switch in many ways would be great. I would prefer if the unit was just a solid body design this time though with nice sticks/buttons and better ergonomics, able to sync existing joycons to it for table-top play or whatever.

But as far as guessing new additions I'll go with clickable scroll wheels added to the controls.

Clickable scroll wheels I can see. What kind of game applications could you imagine? I'm thinking perhaps a rhythm game where you can use the scroll wheels to match the pitch.

They could do the exact same gimmick the Switch 1 has, just with better hardware to support more multiplat games, and they'd be golden.

Around the Network

Functional joycons.

But seriously, no gimmicks are necessary. Just a stronger switch is enough.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Tober said:
Soundwave said:

I'd like to see them expand the VR aspect from Labo VR, it felt like Nintendo genuinely had a ton of ideas in that game that it was almost overflowing with content.

Which it won't match a really good VR headset, if Switch 2 has a 1080p screen it should be able to do something a fair bit better than the Switch 1 did with Labo VR. Should be enough to have optional VR play modes for Mario Kart, Metroid Prime 4, etc. etc.

As far as I know, Nintendo sold a few million LABO packs in total, so I could see them continuing this in some shape or form. Good idea!

Nintendo reuses ideas like this all the time, they experimented with 3D before the 3DS and were trying a 3D screen on the GameCube too which never got released. 

So Labo VR morphing into something bigger later on would be very much in line with how they traditionally do work. 

Super FX chip on the SNES no doubt was a testing ground to ease Nintendo into 3D development for the N64 also. 

They filed a patent that would suggest the type of thing you are talking about could be possible with a future machine. I think that's something that may very well be a feature, but not like the main selling point. Sort of like Street Pass or HD Rumble or something.

I think the Switch 2 will have some kind of gimmick. My best guess is VR as a third/fourth mode of play. We saw with Labo that you can get functional VR with a few cents worth of cardboard. Packing in a cheap plastic headset would give you pretty functional VR, and you already have detachable motion capable controllers, so it kind of makes a lot of sense to me.

VR is too limited. Only a handful of games support it and the cost of entry isn't cheap. I get a nice gpu is expensive but it supports thousands of games. Only 2 to 4 VR games even peak my interest.

Tober said:
archbrix said:

Clickable scroll wheels I can see. What kind of game applications could you imagine? I'm thinking perhaps a rhythm game where you can use the scroll wheels to match the pitch.

Inventory button, scroll to what you want and click to use / equip