By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will Nintendo probably handle Switch1-games on Switch 2? (first party titles)

How will Nintendo probably handle Switch1-games on Switch 2?

no BC, few $30-$70 SW2-ve... 0 0%

no BC, many $30-$70 SW2-v... 0 0%

full BC without improveme... 19 46.34%

BC, SW2 undocked = SW1 do... 3 7.32%

BC, free upgrades, minor ... 13 31.71%

BC, upgrades $1-$10, mino... 3 7.32%

BC, upgrades $11+, minor ... 0 0%

BC, free upgrades, major ... 0 0%

BC, upgrades $1-$10, majo... 2 4.88%

BC, upgrades $11+, major ... 1 2.44%

Total:41
Mar1217 said:

Pokemon Scarlett/Violet about to be in a playable state once it comes out with BC.

Jk aside, I am expecting the next Switch to have the full BC capabilities whilst enhancements for previous games with dynamic resolutions, uncapped framerates, longer loading times will receive improvments..

I also expect to see some of the more recent releases to receive patches that take advantage of the system for further enhancements, mainly first party titles.

Stuff like main Mario games, Zelda BOTW/TOTK, Xenoblade Chronicles games, Fire Emblem, Princess Peach Showtime etc ... Will have these patches available ...

But I haven't determined yet if it's gonna be free or not in some cases. Maybe they'll release upgraded versions of them or new Deluxe versions with new content in them as well. But I'm not sure on any of that.

I kinda' don't want "patches" for older titles like Breath of the Wild... That game would be pulling a GTA5 and spanning 3 console generations then...

I would rather just have system-level enhancements so stuff isn't done on a case-by-case basis. Everything gets improved, nothing takes away development resources from new games.
At-least system level enhancements would mean it should be free and applies to everything. I.E. Better texture filtering, anti-aliasing, framerates and resolution, load times...
It's the approach Microsoft has taken with the Xbox Series X... Where all backwards compatible Xbox One titles received enhanced 16x anisotropic filtering at the hardware level... Which means any multiplatform last-generation game, looks vastly better on Series X verses Playstation 5.

It would also apply to forgotten and/or obscure games that have essentially been abandoned.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 17 February 2024

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:

I kinda' don't want "patches" for older titles like Breath of the Wild... That game would be pulling a GTA5 and spanning 3 console generations then...

I would rather just have system-level enhancements so stuff isn't done on a case-by-case basis. Everything gets improved, nothing takes away development resources from new games.
At-least system level enhancements would mean it should be free and applies to everything. I.E. Better texture filtering, anti-aliasing, framerates and resolution, load times...
It's the approach Microsoft has taken with the Xbox Series X... Where all backwards compatible Xbox One titles received enhanced 16x anisotropic filtering at the hardware level... Which means any multiplatform last-generation game, looks vastly better on Series X verses Playstation 5.

It would also apply to forgotten and/or obscure games that have essentially been abandoned.

I don't think Nintendo is capable of something like that tbh. They've always seemed a little backwards when it comes to technology that has nothing to do with video games. Yeah I guess they were the first to introduce gyro and stuff but they also still had fax machines and a super complicated way to do voice chat in games on the Switch.

The world belongs to you-Pan America

Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

Pokemon Scarlett/Violet about to be in a playable state once it comes out with BC.

Jk aside, I am expecting the next Switch to have the full BC capabilities whilst enhancements for previous games with dynamic resolutions, uncapped framerates, longer loading times will receive improvments..

I also expect to see some of the more recent releases to receive patches that take advantage of the system for further enhancements, mainly first party titles.

Stuff like main Mario games, Zelda BOTW/TOTK, Xenoblade Chronicles games, Fire Emblem, Princess Peach Showtime etc ... Will have these patches available ...

But I haven't determined yet if it's gonna be free or not in some cases. Maybe they'll release upgraded versions of them or new Deluxe versions with new content in them as well. But I'm not sure on any of that.

Wow that pretty cool.  Never knew that.  That is pretty slick and probably makes a good improvement.  Anisotropic, at least to my eyes, can make substantial improvements to games.  It is usually one of the first settings I crank. 

I think minor improvement in some games, like Zelda running closer/more estable to 30fps.

Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

This certainly sounds wonderful but I don't know if Nintendo would be committed to work this much on the hardware level to do such an upgrade across. Excuse my neophytism but I lack the knowledge to understand if what you're proposing is even possible for the power gap the Switch successor will be going for ?

Btb, is there inherently a problem with Nintendo spending time to update one of their most popular game on the Switch to the standard of it's successor ? To be frank, yes the game was released on the WiiU, but ultimately it was so inconsequential due to sharing the launch with the Switch version that I don't mind if they were to do this for both Zelda games anyway.

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Around the Network
Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

This certainly sounds wonderful but I don't know if Nintendo would be committed to work this much on the hardware level to do such an upgrade across. Excuse my neophytism but I lack the knowledge to understand if what you're proposing is even possible for the power gap the Switch successor will be going for ?

Btb, is there inherently a problem with Nintendo spending time to update one of their most popular game on the Switch to the standard of it's successor ? To be frank, yes the game was released on the WiiU, but ultimately it was so inconsequential due to sharing the launch with the Switch version that I don't mind if they were to do this for both Zelda games anyway.

It's not a lot of work on Nintendo's behalf.

It's literally just flicking a switch in the nVidia drivers to override the softwares default filtering setting.
Remember, Switch still uses nVidia's graphics drivers, just a very lean variant due to only supporting a single piece of hardware.

And yes it is very possible, 16x anistropic filtering is very cheap on modern hardware.

Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

It's literally just flicking a switch in the nVidia drivers to override the softwares default filtering setting.
Remember, Switch still uses nVidia's graphics drivers, just a very lean variant due to only supporting a single piece of hardware.

And yes it is very possible, 16x anistropic filtering is very cheap on modern hardware.

Nice, I guess.

What will it mean for most games across the bord ? Are we talking about a substantial FPS and resolution upgrade for those games ?

Let's say one of those was frame capped to 30fps on the previous console, does this mean that using the 16x filtering setting will result in a game that will approach the 60fps or it'll simply mean a more stable 30fps with higher resolutions and texture filtering by default ?

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

Nice, I guess.

What will it mean for most games across the bord ? Are we talking about a substantial FPS and resolution upgrade for those games ?

Let's say one of those was frame capped to 30fps on the previous console, does this mean that using the 16x filtering setting will result in a game that will approach the 60fps or it'll simply mean a more stable 30fps with higher resolutions and texture filtering by default ?

For most games, it will clean up the low-res, muddy textures that have plagued the Switch from the very start... Even titles like Breath of the Wild.
It will not adjust framerates at all... That's a separate issue.

For comparison sake... CEMU is running Breath of the Wild at 16x Anisotropic filtering and you can see on the ground more brick detail for the path and more definition at a longer distance with the boost to filtering... That detail was always there, it was just blurred by the WiiU and Switch's lack of texture filtering.

In regards to resolution, that's a little more difficult to pull off... It's typically not a driver switch override like AA or AF, but done at a game level as games don't tend to run everything at the same output resolution. I.E. Shadows are often half or quarter of the output resolution.

But there are a few options.
You can implement generative A.I. to do a temporal upscale (This will require work).
You could also do an integer upscale of the rendered image.

Microsoft uses the Heutchy Method to boost the resolution of old games, it's a ton of work... And likely only possible due to being a vertically integrated company with some of the best software engineers in the industry.
They needed to recompile executables, emulate, abstract and engineer new software for things like thread scheduling, they were lucky enough to have some native hardware support in successor hardware for things like texture and audio formats to reduce overhead.
This will not happen with the Switch 2.

Games that use a dynamic resolution scaler will simply run at a higher resolution naturally.. That will mean resolution improvements to titles like: Witcher 3, Doom, Mortal Kombat 11, Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, Hogwarts legacy and more.

Games that are capped at 30fps, will still be capped at 30fps, I don't see that being overridden as that can introduce game breaking bugs in many console games as some systems use framerate as a tick counter, so a higher framerate would mean things like animations may run faster.
Games that ran at 30fps, but weren't capped, will run at a higher framerate.

Pemalite said:
Mar1217 said:

Nice, I guess.

For most games, it will clean up the low-res, muddy textures that have plagued the Switch from the very start... Even titles like Breath of the Wild.

For comparison sake... CEMU is running Breath of the Wild at 16x Anisotropic filtering and you can see on the ground more brick detail for the path and more definition at a longer distance with the boost to filtering... That detail was always there, it was just blurred by the WiiU and Switch's lack of texture filtering.

In regards to resolution, that's a little more difficult to pull off... It's typically not a driver switch override like AA or AF, but done at a game level as games don't tend to run everything at the same output resolution. I.E. Shadows are often half or quarter of the output resolution.

You can implement generative A.I. to do a temporal upscale (This will require work).

Microsoft uses the Heutchy Method to boost the resolution of old games, it's a ton of work... And likely only possible due to being a vertically integrated company with some of the best software engineers in the industry.
They needed to recompile executables, emulate, abstract and engineer new software for things like thread scheduling, they were lucky enough to have some native hardware support in successor hardware for things like texture and audio formats to reduce overhead.

Games that use a dynamic resolution scaler will simply run at a higher resolution naturally.. That will mean resolution improvements to titles like: Witcher 3, Doom, Mortal Kombat 11, Xenoblade, Breath of the Wild, Hogwarts legacy and more.

Games that are capped at 30fps, will still be capped at 30fps, I don't see that being overridden as that can introduce game breaking bugs in many console games as some systems use framerate as a tick counter, so a higher framerate would mean things like animations may run faster.

That certainly clears it up ! Thanks 👍

Though I was watching through my phone so the image comparison between the 3 versions of BOTW weren't so clear to me since there were so small. But I can distinguish the higher res brick texture. 

The Fusion hand rune in TOTK will definitely love the stable framerate it'll be running on haha

Mar1217 said:
Pemalite said:

That certainly clears it up ! Thanks 👍

Though I was watching through my phone so the image comparison between the 3 versions of BOTW weren't so clear to me since there were so small. But I can distinguish the higher res brick texture. 

The Fusion hand rune in TOTK will definitely love the stable framerate it'll be running on haha

Motion is where anisotropic works magic.  With low settings when the camera pans there is a clear line in the distance where everything is blurry.  With high settings that line goes away.  I personally think pics are hard to see differences comparative to motion.