By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How will Nintendo probably handle Switch1-games on Switch 2? (first party titles)

How will Nintendo probably handle Switch1-games on Switch 2?

no BC, few $30-$70 SW2-ve... 0 0%

no BC, many $30-$70 SW2-v... 0 0%

full BC without improveme... 19 46.34%

BC, SW2 undocked = SW1 do... 3 7.32%

BC, free upgrades, minor ... 13 31.71%

BC, upgrades $1-$10, mino... 3 7.32%

BC, upgrades $11+, minor ... 0 0%

BC, free upgrades, major ... 0 0%

BC, upgrades $1-$10, majo... 2 4.88%

BC, upgrades $11+, major ... 1 2.44%

Total:41
mZuzek said:

What I think they'll do is, have more or less 100% backwards compatibility, but with no improvements for any games, and then they'll probably try to sell upgraded versions of a few games, like the Zeldas or Smash Ultimates and such.

Yep, this is exactly what I expect but I don’t think it will just be visual upgrades, more like Wii U to Switch ports where each game had added content (some minor like Funky Kong in Tropical Freeze, some substantial like Bowser’s Fury in 3D World).

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I'm hoping the Switch 2 supports backwards compatibility with free upgrades that have minor improvements. I'd be happy with more stable framerates and improved resolution. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

No improvements. Some games get substantial full priced upgrades instead.

It’s not right, but it’s ok.

Last edited by BonfiresDown - on 16 February 2024

I voted major improvement BC with $1-$10 upgrades.
Nintendo giving free upgrades universally or even as the standard is even more unlikely than boosted performance. Nintendo charges $60 for enhanced Wii U ports for crying out loud.
I don't think the boost will be universal like turning on boost mode on PS5. Nintendo software and third-party game upticks in performance for BC games will almost entirely be at the mercy of the devs in a free update. Unpatched games will probably have marginally better load times and a trifle better resolution and frame rate just from the better hardware without an active boost or update.
The Zelda games and Xenoblade Chronicles series will get updates for sure from Nintendo.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Vodacixi said:
haxxiy said:

You're likely to see additional cores being locked out and an underclock to match Switch's frequency and ensure maximum compatibility. A lot of games would be broken otherwise at an engine level so if they do that, it'll vary on a case-to-case basis.

Case in point... the Wii U and the Wii's backwards compatibility. The former being actually worse than running games in OG hardware due to a poor upscaling solution.

But it should run at least equal to docked specs in portable mode, at least.

I think the backwards compatibility solution will be different than the Wii U one. Instead of running the games inside a "Switch 1 OS" and in a literal 1:1 state, the Switch 2 will most likely follow the PS5 approach: run Switch 1 games with the enhanced hardware of Switch 2

I think with Nintendo, it's not just what the hardware can accomplish with BC, but an organizational philosophy. I think Nintendo's approach is, "Why give away upgrades for free when we can make a little extra cash for it?"

The Switch ports of Wii U games were their own thing due to and complete and total incompatibility plus the Wii U having practically no marketshare so its games were new in most customer's eyes. But remember that Nintendo wanted you to pay for upgrades of your Virtual Console games from Wii to Wii U, and pay full price again for those same games on 3DS VC even when it could easily see that you've already bought said games on two other consoles.

Outside of aforementioned marginal improvements like more stable framerates and consistently higher resolutions, if Nintendo has to go out of the way to make a game available on a new platform, it wants you to pay for its troubles.

Around the Network

Uh, I'd like it to just be normal BC where it's the same game that it was on Switch. And if they do decide to do upgrades, those should be free (which I don't expect Nintendo to do). 

I would expect at least "Switch 1 docked" settings in the undocked mode of the Switch 2. Combined with automatic improvements (more stable fps, less slowdowns, dynamic res in the upper range) that would be a huge improvement for handheld gamers with zero effort / extra costs for Nintendo.

Like flipping a switch.

This one seems pretty obvious. Games with dynamic resolution and unstable framerates will see improvements in those areas due to stronger hardware. Faster load times too, if the speed of the storage medium permits it. Any improvements beyond that will require patches. Whether those patches will require extra payment (or if they even happen in the first place) will be up to the publisher. Some games might get a dedicated "Switch 2" version. Getting that version for free if you own the Switch 1 version is rather unlikely. There is no reason for any publisher to be that generous, especially in the current era of monetization and rising dev costs.

haxxiy said:
Vodacixi said:

I think the backwards compatibility solution will be different than the Wii U one. Instead of running the games inside a "Switch 1 OS" and in a literal 1:1 state, the Switch 2 will most likely follow the PS5 approach: run Switch 1 games with the enhanced hardware of Switch 2

The majority of these are just the PS4 Pro version running on the PS5 (worse in some cases, better in others). The rest was either designed with a PS5 mode in mind (2019-2020 titles) or that received updates from their developers later on.

Not true. 

https://youtu.be/bKQ6NeTjccA?si=NDv-tVQni_qRGGB

Sure, PS4 games use the "PS4 Pro" profile on PS5, but they still run much better in both framerates and dynamic resolutions. 

Vodacixi said:

Not true. 

https://youtu.be/bKQ6NeTjccA?si=NDv-tVQni_qRGGB

Sure, PS4 games use the "PS4 Pro" profile on PS5, but they still run much better in both framerates and dynamic resolutions. 

Well, that's what I said, wasn't it? Some games run better, others however are broken and run better in a PS4 Pro instead.

There's a thread in Era compiling all the resolution/framerates of PS4/PS5 games that you can check out for yourself.