By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What Microsoft should do to stay competitive.

Tagged games:

IcaroRibeiro said:
Qwark said:

From the top of my head, Minecraft, Flight Simulator, Age of Empires, Forza, Hellblade 2, Ori and Tokyo Ghostwire (kinda). Also where Microsoft might have too many shooters, doesn't Sony have to many third person action-adventure games.   

Thanks

I've played Minecraft, Age of Empire, Ori (both games) and Hellblade already. My PC can't run Flight Simulator but it looks amazing 

I don't like racing so no Forza for me 

I'll take a look in Tokyo Ghostwire

I would add Grounded, Pentiment, Psychonauts, Sea of Thieves, HiFi-Rush. I personally really like Grounded, that is the right game for me. I am also excited for Avowed.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
Jumpin said:

Microsoft is too much of a soulless corporation—they’re about ROI and lack a culture of creativity beyond imitation and assimilation: “let’s buy them out so we can own their successful product” and “let’s copy that successful thing they do.”

I mean, looking at Microsoft's successes: MS Office. There are cheaper and free products out there that work better than MS Office, so why can MS get away with charging a ridiculous subscription of 70 USD year for MS Office and still win? Because the cheaper and free products are imitators of Office. But Microsoft can’t even learn from their own successes. They are blind to the fact that the Xbox (in this case) is the imitation brand. If they still had a creative soul, they could create hardware as fresh and original as the NES, a Gameboy, a PSX, a PS2 a DS, an iPhone, a Wii, or a Switch - but all they do is imitate or assimilate.

Otherwise, I’d say Microsoft needs to stop imitating Sony or Nintendo and make an original videogaming platform. But they’re effectively the Borg of the video game industry. Like the Borg, ROIs and lacking creativity. And even with overwhelming power and resources, Microsoft's Xbox tends to get bested by much smaller entities who have cultures of creativity.

MS set the standard a lot of features consoles use today.  Broadband connection, built in hdd, could output a 1080p HD signal, Xbox live set an industry standard for online gaming, party chat, achievements, cloud saves. So if you want to keep projecting ignorance along with everyone that agreed with you, then go for it. 

Azzanation said:
Pemalite said:

It is a lie.

How can you straight-faced lie and claim that the market is unable to support 3 competitors when in the 7th gen we had:

1) Wii @ 101.63 million consoles sold.
2) Xbox 360 @ 84 million consoles sold.
3) Playstation 3 @ 87.4 million consoles sold.

Combine that with the:
1) DS @ 154.02 million consoles sold.
2) PSP @ 80/82 million consoles sold.

They are all healthy numbers.

How can you straight-faced lie and claim that the market is unable to support all 3 competitors when they have all been competing since 2001 when the Original Xbox entered the market?

That's literally almost a quarter of a century worth of competition.

8th console generation:
1) Nintendo Switch @ 137.4 million consoles sold.
2) Playstation 4 @ 117.4 million consoles sold.
3) Xbox One @ 58 million consoles sold.

All three platforms were profitable and successful.

So again... How can you blatantly lie that it's unsustainable? Microsoft with the worst selling console still made a profit.

Either way, Microsoft has committed to continue to compete against Sony and Nintendo for at-least another decade and a half... So obviously they see their business as sustainable, which contradicts your position empirically.

Because its a very simple concept to understand. 1 has to hurt out of the 3. Hurt also doesnt mean losing money. It also means growth. You know, pleasing the shareholders.  

Atari hurt when Sega entered. 

Sega hurt when Sony entered.

Nintendo hurt when Xbox entered.

Sony hurt when Xbox competed.

7th Gen, 360 and PS3 lost billions, almost killing them buisness wise.

The next two generations, 8th and 9th Gen, Xbox struggles with growth. if they turn it around and become the market leader, that would hurt Sony.

Do you see the point yet? Instead of flagging lies, how about do some research on the buisness front of these systems. 

All three brands cannot be super successful without one falling. Weather thats sales wise or buisness wise.

There’s a lot wrong with this post, but I see Big Worm I mean Big Perm (hope he gets the reference) already corrected you. Reading your posts on this matter it seems like you’re kind of stuck in the past and putting too much of an emphasis on hardware sales. They’re important, but they aren’t the end all be all. And no, there’s nothing wrong with three console companies being successful and making money. Just because you’re not in the lead doesn’t mean you’re failing. 

Imagine if the NHL, NBA, and MLB decided to close shop because the NFL dominates sports revenue and viewership. 

LudicrousSpeed said:

There’s a lot wrong with this post, but I see Big Worm I mean Big Perm (hope he gets the reference) already corrected you. Reading your posts on this matter it seems like you’re kind of stuck in the past and putting too much of an emphasis on hardware sales. They’re important, but they aren’t the end all be all. And no, there’s nothing wrong with three console companies being successful and making money. Just because you’re not in the lead doesn’t mean you’re failing. 

Imagine if the NHL, NBA, and MLB decided to close shop because the NFL dominates sports revenue and viewership. 

I want Xbox to stay around, they make the best hardware. I am only stating that the industry isn't big enough for all 3 to be healthy and heavily successful. In other words, we can't have 3 Nintendo level of success consoles all at one time. 7th gen lost Xbox and Sony billions to the point why they changed dramatically in the 8th gen. e.g.: Cheaper and weaker hardware, the push to PC and digital etc.

Over the history, we have seen stable brands leave the industry when new players enter. That is the actual proof of what I am saying. It's not a black and white scenario either, some will last longer than others. 

What we are seeing is Xbox and Sony trying to stay above water by moving to PC. The console industry is limited to 300m console buyers and majority dont buy all 3 consoles, which means 1 gets left out. Recently its Xbox. This is why Xbox is focusing on the eco-system and not hardware, even though they are keeping it around. Eventually both Sony and Xbox will move to a full digital platform, MS are just getting ahead of the herd. We saw this with Steam, no one wanted it, now it's the standard. Console buyers are more digital than physical now. 

Make COD exclusive. that would shift a lot of casual gamers to Xbox.
Also releasing a system seller would help, a game that was received well on the levels such as god of war and zelda. Can't remember the last time Xbox made a game like that, Halo 3?

Around the Network
smroadkill15 said:
Jumpin said:

Microsoft is too much of a soulless corporation—they’re about ROI and lack a culture of creativity beyond imitation and assimilation: “let’s buy them out so we can own their successful product” and “let’s copy that successful thing they do.”

I mean, looking at Microsoft's successes: MS Office. There are cheaper and free products out there that work better than MS Office, so why can MS get away with charging a ridiculous subscription of 70 USD year for MS Office and still win? Because the cheaper and free products are imitators of Office. But Microsoft can’t even learn from their own successes. They are blind to the fact that the Xbox (in this case) is the imitation brand. If they still had a creative soul, they could create hardware as fresh and original as the NES, a Gameboy, a PSX, a PS2 a DS, an iPhone, a Wii, or a Switch - but all they do is imitate or assimilate.

Otherwise, I’d say Microsoft needs to stop imitating Sony or Nintendo and make an original videogaming platform. But they’re effectively the Borg of the video game industry. Like the Borg, ROIs and lacking creativity. And even with overwhelming power and resources, Microsoft's Xbox tends to get bested by much smaller entities who have cultures of creativity.

MS set the standard a lot of features consoles use today.  Broadband connection, built in hdd, could output a 1080p HD signal, Xbox live set an industry standard for online gaming, party chat, achievements, cloud saves. So if you want to keep projecting ignorance along with everyone that agreed with you, then go for it. 

What are your sources for these claims?  Any source I find says Dreamcast did internet first. And Xbox/PS3 Did 1080p with in a few weeks.  PS3 came out a year later but started with it, where as Xbox only got a patch for it a couple weeks before.

I found an article about PS3 cloud saves coming out in March where as I can only find an article about Xbox 360 in June. Both 2011.

They were interesting to research though.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

Bandorr said:
smroadkill15 said:

What are your sources for these claims?  Any source I find says Dreamcast did internet first. And Xbox/PS3 Did 1080p with in a few weeks.  PS3 came out a year later but started with it, where as Xbox only got a patch for it a couple weeks before.

I found an article about PS3 cloud saves coming out in March where as I can only find an article about Xbox 360 in June. Both 2011.

Xbox popularized online gaming and set the foundation consoles use today. I didn't say it was the first to do it. The original Xbox could output 1080i, not 1080p my mistake. You are right about cloud saves. Was Xbox 360 the first console to have a removeable harddrive, popularize indie games on consoles, and popularize entertainment apps? I remember when Netflix came to the Xbox 360 for the first time before it blew up on everything. Indie games blew up with xbox arcade games. Point still stands, MS popularized many features console take advantage of today and didn't copycat everything like Jumpin claims. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 18 February 2024

smroadkill15 said:
Bandorr said:

Xbox popularized online gaming and set the foundation consoles use today. I didn't say it was the first to do it. The original Xbox could output 1080i, not 1080p my mistake. You are right about cloud saves. Was Xbox 360 the first console to have a removeable harddrive and popularize entertainment apps? I remember when Netflix came to the Xbox 360 for the first time before it blew up on everything. Point still stands, MS popularized many features console take advantage of today and didn't copycat everything like Jumpin claims. 

PS2 actually had a removal hard drive before the Xbox. Although the Xbox did have the first built in hard drive.  I only know that because I actually had that expansion lol.

I didn't know about the 1080i until I researched it. It was fascinating to read about.  They simply just released a patch to update. That's neat.

Xbox live is definitely different than just dreamcast having internet, or the PS2 having a network expansion. So you are absolutely right on that.

You are bound to love Earthbound.

smroadkill15 said:
Bandorr said:

Xbox popularized online gaming and set the foundation consoles use today. I didn't say it was the first to do it. The original Xbox could output 1080i, not 1080p my mistake. You are right about cloud saves. Was Xbox 360 the first console to have a removeable harddrive, popularize indie games on consoles, and popularize entertainment apps? I remember when Netflix came to the Xbox 360 for the first time before it blew up on everything. Indie games blew up with xbox arcade games. Point still stands, MS popularized many features console take advantage of today and didn't copycat everything like Jumpin claims. 

PS2 had 1080i output, I played GT4 in 1080i on a HD ready TV.
PS2 also had DTS sound output, for example in SSX 3.
PS2 started with image processing with Eye Toy, which led to Kinect and paved the way for PSVR.

PS3 is still regarded as one of the best most versatile media players.

Indie games blew up with Steam, but sure XBLA did its part on consoles.

One thing MS did popularize for sure is paying for online features :/
Another thing that luckily hasn't caught on yet is the amount of ads on the dashboard, now even on startup.

It all doesn't matter though. MS should focus on delivering games first instead of monetization of everything to stay competitive.

SvennoJ said:
smroadkill15 said:

PS2 had 1080i output, I played GT4 in 1080i on a HD ready TV.
PS2 also had DTS sound output, for example in SSX 3.
PS2 started with image processing with Eye Toy, which led to Kinect and paved the way for PSVR.

PS3 is still regarded as one of the best most versatile media players.

Indie games blew up with Steam, but sure XBLA did its part on consoles.

One thing MS did popularize for sure is paying for online features :/
Another thing that luckily hasn't caught on yet is the amount of ads on the dashboard, now even on startup.

It all doesn't matter though. MS should focus on delivering games first instead of monetization of everything to stay competitive.

Maybe you should read my original response because you clearly didn't get it. It was in response to the claim MS is a copycat in the world of gaming, and didn't add anything to make gaming better, which is obviously not true. Sony has been innovative in varies ways, but that wasn't the point of the response or in fact had anything to do with Sony. 

Last edited by smroadkill15 - on 18 February 2024