Super Mario Bros. 3 4 3.92%

Final Fantasy VII 17 16.67%

Ocarina of Time 19 18.63%

Resident Evil 4 13 12.75%

Super Mario Galaxy 8 7.84%

The Last of Us 6 5.88%

Breath of the Wild 23 22.55%

Total:102

The Game of All Time is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
The runner up is The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.
The master thread for all of these contests can be found here.

We've voted for the Game of the Decade for 5 different decades.  Now there is just one more game to select.  What is the Game of All Time?  Each decade has both a winner and runner up.  Please vote for what you'd consider to be the Game of All Time from among the games below and tell us why.  As always you can use whatever criteria you believe is most relevant.

Pong (1972)
Space Invaders (1978)
The Legend of Zelda (1986)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988)
Final Fantasy VII (1997)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998)
Resident Evil 4 (2005)
Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
The Last of Us (2013)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2017)

You can find the Master Thread for all of these contests here.
Official voting for the Game of All Time will end Monday, Jan 1 at 11:59 PM, EST.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 02 January 2024

Around the Network

For me personally, it's Resident Evil 4.

It's just a pitch perfect construction of mechanics, presentation, atmosphere, and sheer fun. Every aspect of it is fine tuned to not only be as enjoyable as possible, but to mesh perfectly with every other aspect to form a whole that is even greater than the sum of its superb parts.

A masterpiece.

These are all masterpieces in their own right, but Ill have to go with Resident Evil 4. Just such an incredible game I have bought on several consoles over the years.

Only one right answer here.

Of the games on the list, I've really managed to play The Last of Us, and I find it very overrated, so definitely not that. My main issues with the game are that its decent (not great) gameplay gets old by the time the game ends, and that the number of human beings you need to kill in the game is simply immersion-breaking - in a game often said to be immersive. Final Fantasy VII is another one I've at least tried, but sadly I haven't felt the urge to continue playing beyond the beginning. If Final Fantasy VI and VIII are anything to go by though, Final Fantasy VII definitely doesn't deserve by vote either.

The games listed here that are older than The Super Mario Bros. 3 are probably too simplistic by modern standards to deserve my vote. I don't like platforming enough (although I do like platforming!), and judging by my brief experiences with Mario, I'm not a huge fan of the controls in Mario games. Thus SMB3 probably doesn't deserve my vote either. The same goes for Super Mario Galaxy.

That leaves Resident Evil 4 and two less ancient/more modern Zelda games. Well, I don't generally like horror games, so Resident Evil 4 is easily eliminated. That leaves Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. Since I don't have experience with Ocarina of Time and it's so old, I have a hard time believing I would find it anything more than 'just' good. That leaves Breath of the Wild, which I expect I would actually enjoy quite a bit, so it gets my vote. It's a terrible vote because I haven't played the game or much of the competition, but as you can see, it's a fairly reasonable pick, and one I expect I could stand behind had I played all of the candidates.

That said, there are several games I would probably rather vote for instead of BotW, were I free to choose, even if I had experience with BotW. Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X are some of the strongest contenders, and while not a masterpiece per se, Cities: Skylines has taken so much of my time that it's definitely worth considering - it just that much fun in my opinion. Off the top of my head, that's the contenders, but there could be others as well.

Last edited by Zkuq - on 29 December 2023

Around the Network

Super Mario Bros. 3 is my pick. It's my favorite game of all time. It took everything that made the original SMB great and improved on it, including better graphics, better level design, and more power-ups (Mario can fly now!). It also held the distinction of being the best-selling console game that wasn't originally bundled with the system it was on, a record it would hold until it was finally beaten by GTA: San Andreas. The hype for that game was unreal at the time.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

I’m going with BotW, but I won’t be sad should Ocarina or FFVII win either.

My actual favorite game is Soma or XCOM 2.

Resident Evil 4.
The best gaming experience I had was when I first played this game on PS2 beating it several times.
Played it later on the Wii and that was my second best experience ever besting it several times.
Enjoyed the gamecube version and PS3 versions as well. The switch version not as much for some reason.

Played the remake this year. First time in about a decade I really felt that I played a great game. Probably my third best experience ever. Sometimes one wish that one could forger a game to be able to experience it for the first time again. That is how it felt playing the remake. Like I played my favorite game for the very first time.

Replayed it multiple times on multiple consoles. Each time I play it, I think about the next time that I will play it. (Something I also do when playing Diablo and Fire Emblem)

The game has perfect pace and perfect atmosphere. The challange is just right and the music is without fault.
That is the things I know is great with Resident Evil 4. Then there is all the aspects harder to pin point that just make it so darn fun to play.

Intensly enjoyable.
The best game ever. My favorite game ever.
Best of the year, Best of the decade and Best game of all time.

Just want to say Liquid, great work on all of these topics!

Breath of the Wild