Super Mario Bros. 3 4 3.92%

Final Fantasy VII 17 16.67%

Ocarina of Time 19 18.63%

Resident Evil 4 13 12.75%

Super Mario Galaxy 8 7.84%

The Last of Us 6 5.88%

Breath of the Wild 23 22.55%

Total:102

Ocarina will probably win this one and zelda is my favorite franchise. Having said that I find ocarina good but far from great. I always thought it was overrated.

Around the Network

A shame not to include 4 years of great games here, but in any case my choice for greatest of all time is Tales of Symphonia. JRPG masterpiece, my favorite story, characters and music in a game. I won't make a long list here since that's what the Greatest Game Event is for.

Since none of my top 10 games are options I'll go with Breath of the Wild.

Might as well rank these 10 games when I'm here:

1. Breath of the Wild
  2. Final Fantasy VII
  3. Super Mario Galaxy
  4. Ocarina of Time
  5. Resident Evil 4
  6. The Last of Us
  7. Super Mario Bros 3
  8. Pong
  9. Space Invaders
  10. The Legend of Zelda

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Enjoyable series of threads, shame we've run out of decades xD

From the poll options, for me it was close between Resident Evil 4, Super Mario Galaxy, and The Last of Us, and my answer would probably vary from year to year, but this year's remake gave me a renewed appreciation for RE4, so I'll go with that.

Zkuq said:

Of the games on the list, I've really managed to play The Last of Us, and I find it very overrated, so definitely not that. My main issues with the game are that its decent (not great) gameplay gets old by the time the game ends, and that the number of human beings you need to kill in the game is simply immersion-breaking - in a game often said to be immersive. Final Fantasy VII is another one I've at least tried, but sadly I haven't felt the urge to continue playing beyond the beginning. If Final Fantasy VI and VIII are anything to go by though, Final Fantasy VII definitely doesn't deserve by vote either.

The games listed here that are older than The Super Mario Bros. 3 are probably too simplistic by modern standards to deserve my vote. I don't like platforming enough (although I do like platforming!), and judging by my brief experiences with Mario, I'm not a huge fan of the controls in Mario games. Thus SMB3 probably doesn't deserve my vote either. The same goes for Super Mario Galaxy.

That leaves Resident Evil 4 and two less ancient/more modern Zelda games. Well, I don't generally like horror games, so Resident Evil 4 is easily eliminated. That leaves Ocarina of Time and Breath of the Wild. Since I don't have experience with Ocarina of Time and it's so old, I have a hard time believing I would find it anything more than 'just' good. That leaves Breath of the Wild, which I expect I would actually enjoy quite a bit, so it gets my vote. It's a terrible vote because I haven't played the game or much of the competition, but as you can see, it's a fairly reasonable pick, and one I expect I could stand behind had I played all of the candidates.

That said, there are several games I would probably rather vote for instead of BotW, were I free to choose, even if I had experience with BotW. Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X and some of the strongest contenders, and while not a masterpiece per se, Cities: Skylines has taken so much of my time that it's definitely worth considering - it just that much fun in my opinion. Off the top of my head, that's the contenders, but there could be others as well.

Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X both released in 2001, which was one of the strongest years for gaming.  Those games had to compete with Halo, GTA3, and Smash Melee.  I personally wanted to see FFX win that year, but the competition was undeniably strong.

SvennoJ said:

I just completed RE4 on PSVR2 last night, while great, it's not in my top 10. Top 40 maybe after a second play through. Both RE8 and RE7 are better games in VR.

It's a shame Civilization didn't make it in, would have had my vote.
Or Everquest which is my personal nr 1.

I voted for The Last of Us for this decade, yet plenty games go in front for the GoaT.

BotW is in my top 10 yet preceded by Wind Waker which is not in the poll.

I'll cop out and vote for the game that started it all, Pong.

(It's just gonna be a battle between OoT and BotW anyway :p)

A decent case can be made for any game in the poll, that it should be the Game of All Time.  For example, those other games wouldn't even exist without Pong.

Some great games, of these games I voted for that made it all the way here are Super Mario Bros. 3, Zelda Ocarina of Time, Super Mario Galaxy and Zelda Breath of the Wild. Coincidentally I seem to have a bit of Mario and Zelda going on, but I voted for plenty of other things. Anyway, the Mario games are great, but not in my all-time top 10. Breath of the Wild is, an amazing game, but nothing comes close to Ocarina of Time. That game is basically perfection to me, so my vote is, of course, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Around the Network

Thank you @The_Liquid_Laser for this super fun series of threads. They've renewed my enthusiasm for posting in the forum :)

As for the game of all time, I'm one of the lucky folks who counts their own #1 game among this shortlist. It's Breath of the Wild, for me the perfect example of what the video game medium can achieve.

I'm gonna steal @UnderwaterFunktown 's idea and rank the full list, since this is the final event :)

10. Pong
9. Space Invaders
8. The Last of Us
7. The Legend of Zelda
6. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
5. Final Fantasy VII
4. Super Mario Galaxy
3. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Resident Evil 4
1. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I am one of only two that have voted for the original Legend of Zelda. I grew up on the 2600 and not terribly long after release got the NES bundle with R.O.B. and the light zapper.
I still remember talking my mother into buying TLoZ at KB Toys for a wopping $30. It was the first game I had played that was so big it required a battery inside the cart to save your progress. I fondly remember sitting with my mother and some graph paper mapping out the dungeons as I played (maps I still have nearly 40 years later). It was a transformative experience and its success gave rise to more ambitious titles that normally weren't completed in a single sitting. My vote was very much nostalgia driven but that series and Metroid will always hold a very dear place in my gamer heart.

Of the games left, I would probably go with Final Fantasy VII. It's the one game on the list I think about the most, and the one I am likely to go back to replay the most often. It also popularized an entire genre in the west, and it is one of the few games still in the running that I actually voted for in its year of eligibility. That said, none of the games left are in my personal top ten, but that's just how these things go.

None of them. Seriously, what is the average age on this site? Lol, I already knew what the results would be.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

A decent case can be made for any game in the poll, that it should be the Game of All Time.  For example, those other games wouldn't even exist without Pong.

Not only that, Pong is also the longest played game and keeps coming back in different forms. It's basically the most abstract form of (table) Tennis, a genre that has always been present and generated many popular and innovative new ways to play it. Wii Sports and VR included.