Ocarina of Time 19 18.63%

Resident Evil 4 13 12.75%

Super Mario Galaxy 8 7.84%

The Last of Us 6 5.88%

Breath of the Wild 23 22.55%

Total:102

This is a heated race!!

Around the Network

I figured Breath of the Wild would have cannibalised Ocarina of Time, but it's close. Glad to see there's still plenty of people that choose the better of the two.

Anyway, with Final Fantasy VII as well, it's still anyone's game.

Jaicee said:
SvennoJ said:

Great post, describes exactly how I feel about The last of Us 2 as well. Plus the second entry elevates the first game to new heights. Replaying the first game after the second makes you feel like an even bigger ass during the hospital escape. The first game already sets plenty question marks behind your 'collateral' damage and continuous escalation of conflicts, which the TV show further enhances. The second game puts a bigger spot light on your actions in the first game.

Part 2 is already in my top 10 games of all time after only 3 years. Now sits at #6 after SotC, another game that makes you think about your actions in the game. Looking forward to the upgrade, will play Part 2 again soon :)

Thanks much! I mean I completely get why it's too depressing a game for many people, just like turning on the news is depressing (and only partly because of the hosts). The reason it doesn't become too much for me is because it has a way of lending more power to the game's moments of relief, kindness, and joy, which one notices are generally more common and more elaborate than in the first game (lots of "giraffes" type moments here), as if to compensate for the fact that the over-arching story feels more downbeat. The resultant tonal balance works well for me.

Same for the wars and genocides happening all around us. The resilience people show while enduring atrocities is both incredibly sad and heart warming.

More impactful than just another bombed out building. The last of us 2 shows where revenge leads on an individual level. The real world shows where revenge leads on a national / political level :(

Games. movies and the news have desensitized us to violence for many decades. Sanitizing death, ignoring the fallout, ignoring the ones left behind. Glorifying violence as the answer to all problems. The Last of Us 2 breaks that ludonarrative dissonance and actually matches the gameplay to the story. (Of course you still get to shoot plenty 'props' that conveniently 'fall asleep' after you shoot them)

No metal gear solid is a crime but my vote is ff7

Top five :

FF7 , METAL GEAR SOLID, THE LAST OF US, RESIDENT EVIL4 AND MASS EFFECT 2.

As much as I’d love to vote for Ocarina or Breath of the Wild regarding the games that stand a chance at winning, the original Legend of Zelda is, all things considered, probably my single favorite game of all time. And there’s no way I’m not voting for it here.

There was just nothing like this game when it released. When I first played it I ran around lost like a lot of people before figuring out what to do, but I was still having fun because the game felt so great. Even Link’s attack still felt unique when compared to games that followed; he stabs straight out as opposed to the swipe motion in ALttP. And since there was no grass to cut, the moves and abilities that he’s limited to work flawlessly in this game. The way you used items intelligently to advance was just on such another level and it set so many standards in gaming as well. The maps it came with, the full color booklet with all of the characters, being able to save without a long password, the gold cartridge, even the box... Zelda was truly that moment for me when home console gaming became something I knew was here to stay. It showed a level of creativity and imagination mixed with the tight arcade gameplay that got me playing games in the first place.

Later, A Link to the Past took the formula and basically created 16-bit perfection and for all intents and purposes the two games tie for first place. But the original giving you a full second quest with awesome remixed elements and the fact that it set the bar at the level that it did give it a modicum of an edge if I absolutely had to pick. Maybe. Either way, The Legend of Zelda handily wins for me here and I’m so happy it made it to the final round.

Great job on the threads too, @Liquid_Laser. Very much enjoyed them.

Around the Network
archbrix said:

As much as I’d love to vote for Ocarina or Breath of the Wild regarding the games that stand a chance at winning, the original Legend of Zelda is, all things considered, probably my single favorite game of all time. And there’s no way I’m not voting for it here.

There was just nothing like this game when it released. When I first played it I ran around lost like a lot of people before figuring out what to do, but I was still having fun because the game felt so great. Even Link’s attack still felt unique when compared to games that followed; he stabs straight out as opposed to the swipe motion in ALttP. And since there was no grass to cut, the moves and abilities that he’s limited to work flawlessly in this game. The way you used items intelligently to advance was just on such another level and it set so many standards in gaming as well. The maps it came with, the full color booklet with all of the characters, being able to save without a long password, the gold cartridge, even the box... Zelda was truly that moment for me when home console gaming became something I knew was here to stay. It showed a level of creativity and imagination mixed with the tight arcade gameplay that got me playing games in the first place.

Later, A Link to the Past took the formula and basically created 16-bit perfection and for all intents and purposes the two games tie for first place. But the original giving you a full second quest with awesome remixed elements and the fact that it set the bar at the level that it did give it a modicum of an edge if I absolutely had to pick. Maybe. Either way, The Legend of Zelda handily wins for me here and I’m so happy it made it to the final round.

Thanks.   And that goes for everyone else who has shown appreciation.  I appreciate the kind words.

I also think Zelda 1 is the best game on the list, although the list is full of great games.  Others have stated their rankings, so this is my personal ranking for them:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Space Invaders
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Last of Us
8. Pong
9. Ocarina of Time (haven't played)
9. Resident Evil 4 (haven't played)

The Legend of Dragoon

The_Liquid_Laser said:
archbrix said:

Thanks.   And that goes for everyone else who has shown appreciation.  I appreciate the kind words.

I also think Zelda 1 is the best game on the list, although the list is full of great games.  Others have stated their rankings, so this is my personal ranking for them:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Space Invaders
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Last of Us
8. Pong

Nice list. Mine would be 

1: sikero

2: street fighter 2 hyper fighting  and  super turbo

3: mario 64 just completely blew everything away at the time.

4: last of us 

5: batman arkham city.

6: resident evil 4

7: oot and link to the past

8 gran turismo

9: bloodborne

10: mgs franchise.

My fave ain't here. So, I'll go with BotW. It is a great game. One of my favorites of the last several years. But, I don't actually feel like it is the best of all time.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
archbrix said:

1. The Legend of Zelda
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Super Mario Bros 3
4. Breath of the Wild
5. Space Invaders
6. Super Mario Galaxy
7. The Last of Us
8. Pong

Kind of shocking you haven't played OoT tbh, it's the grandfather of Souls combat and modern 3D action-adventures/RPGs in general, on top of setting the blueprint for an era of excellent Zelda games to follow. I don't think it's nearly perfect, "only" #34 on my list of favorites this year, but definitely one of the most important games ever made (imo the 3DS remake is the best way to experience it these days just for the record).

Last edited by UnderwaterFunktown - on 02 January 2024

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat