Super Mario Bros. 3 4 3.92%

Final Fantasy VII 17 16.67%

Ocarina of Time 19 18.63%

Resident Evil 4 13 12.75%

Super Mario Galaxy 8 7.84%

The Last of Us 6 5.88%

Breath of the Wild 23 22.55%

Total:102

insane how mario 64 didn't make the list it was so far ahead of anything. Mario galaxy easily the weakest game on that list.

Around the Network

Ocarina of Time crystallized the dreams and expectations of gamers around the world like no other game in history did. It did that during the toughest and most revolutionary era of gaming (transition from 2D to 3D) while delivering peak experience in pretty much all aspects of gaming (music, graphics, gameplay, story/lore, world building, design, action, exploration, puzzles, etc.). It just seems untouchable simply because there probably will never be a revolution as big and as accessible/mainstream (AI, VR?).

Last edited by exceedingdeath - on 30 December 2023

Hm, I don't think I'd ever consider any of the games on the list as GoaT contenders. From the poll, one that will probably stand the test of time the longest is Space Invaders, so I'll vote for that one.

Personally, although far from my favourite, what I consider GoaT is Tetris. It is one of those extremely rare games that I find to be 10/10 and hard to improve upon in any meaningful way (unlike most of "10/10" games).

The thread should be called "favourite game of all time". This is an opinion after all, there is no such thing as "greatest game of all time". It is just some opinion that someone is trying call a fact.

Random_Matt said:

The thread should be called "favourite game of all time". This is an opinion after all, there is no such thing as "greatest game of all time". It is just some opinion that someone is trying call a fact.

No.  "Game of All Time" need no correction!

Around the Network

Chrono Trigger, nothing else comes close. Of the games listed, I probably lean BOTW.

Jaicee said:

My favorite game of all time is neither an option nor from any of those earlier decades. It's The Last of Us Part II. Speaking of, I just now saw this thread after following the example of others and writing about my favorite games from the 2020s at some length back on the 2010s thread, so you force me to repeat myself! *sighs* Oh well, here comes the copy/paste from the relevant part of my post on that thread.

Anyway, like others, I'll say thanks to The Liquid Laser for these fun reminiscing threads! They've engaged me more than anything else here has in like forever now.

Great post, describes exactly how I feel about The last of Us 2 as well. Plus the second entry elevates the first game to new heights. Replaying the first game after the second makes you feel like an even bigger ass during the hospital escape. The first game already sets plenty question marks behind your 'collateral' damage and continuous escalation of conflicts, which the TV show further enhances. The second game puts a bigger spot light on your actions in the first game.

Part 2 is already in my top 10 games of all time after only 3 years. Now sits at #6 after SotC, another game that makes you think about your actions in the game. Looking forward to the upgrade, will play Part 2 again soon :)

SvennoJ said:

Great post, describes exactly how I feel about The last of Us 2 as well. Plus the second entry elevates the first game to new heights. Replaying the first game after the second makes you feel like an even bigger ass during the hospital escape. The first game already sets plenty question marks behind your 'collateral' damage and continuous escalation of conflicts, which the TV show further enhances. The second game puts a bigger spot light on your actions in the first game.

Part 2 is already in my top 10 games of all time after only 3 years. Now sits at #6 after SotC, another game that makes you think about your actions in the game. Looking forward to the upgrade, will play Part 2 again soon :)

Thanks much! I mean I completely get why it's too depressing a game for many people, just like turning on the news is depressing (and only partly because of the hosts). The reason it doesn't become too much for me is because it has a way of lending more power to the game's moments of relief, kindness, and joy, which one notices are generally more common and more elaborate than in the first game (lots of "giraffes" type moments here), as if to compensate for the fact that the over-arching story feels more downbeat. The resultant tonal balance works well for me.

It's been over a day since I've checked this thread.  When I last looked, I thought one of two Zeldas would take it, but now FF7 is a serious contender as well.  That's actually impressive that a game voted as runner up is easily surpassing Game of the Decade winners like Mario 3 and RE4.  I guess that shows how well loved 90's games are in general.  I think I've also seen people mention games like Chrono Trigger and Mario 64 as their all time favorites.  There is definitely a lot of love for the 90's.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

It's been over a day since I've checked this thread.  When I last looked, I thought one of two Zeldas would take it, but now FF7 is a serious contender as well.  That's actually impressive that a game voted as runner up is easily surpassing Game of the Decade winners like Mario 3 and RE4.  I guess that shows how well loved 90's games are in general.  I think I've also seen people mention games like Chrono Trigger and Mario 64 as their all time favorites.  There is definitely a lot of love for the 90's.

There's also the fact that excluding the two 70s games with very few votes each, there's five Nintendo-exclusive games vs. three exclusively non-Nintendo games + one that's on both Nintendo and non-Nintendo platforms, so the non-Nintendo folks have fewer games to split their votes between. Personally I'm surprised mainly about how poorly The Last of Us is doing, considering all the praise it tends to get. It's especially troublesome for the Nintendo games that there's two very highly acclaimed Zelda games that are basically cannibalizing each other, because neither of them is having an easy time rising above the other. This voting format is a lot of fun, but this is definitely one of the issues with it (that's not negative feedback though - just an observation!).