By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Ok to announce a game that is still many years away from release?

Idk, I don't like comapnies announcing a game that's 4+ years away. Especially with a generic CGI trailer that doesn't tell you much about the game. That said, I can see WHY comapnies do this (recruiting as an example). With that said, many franchises early announcements aren't even really necessary. A new mainline TES was always going to happen so Bethesda didn't really need to announce TESVI. GTA VI we all know was going to happen, so Rockstar didn't really NEED to announce it coming in 2025. Something like Perfect Dark I think was warranted because nobody knew for sure if we were ever going to get a new game in that franchise so I enjoy knowing that it's being worked on at this moment in time.

Around the Network
TheTitaniumNub said:

Why should I care when they announce? If someone chooses to get hyped for said game then that's their choice.

This, really

Gamers get upset over issues that aren't really issues

Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

I came from the Nintendo 64 with the venerable Perfect Dark...

Microsoft teased Perfect Dark for Xbox, which was one of the reasons why I bought the OG Xbox over the Gamecube or PS2. (That and Halo+Fable.)

Eventually the game dropped for the 360, but the tactic actually worked. With me anyway.

I don't think any developer/publisher intentionally announces a game years and years before release... Sometimes things happen, games may not review internally very well, sometimes technology and scope changes.. So it's sometimes better to restart development than cop a public shit-show and rubbish the company name.

Gonna disagree here. I think some developers/publishers intentionally announce games years and years before release. The Elder Scrolls VI being announced in 2018 is proof of this. Todd Howard said himself he believes the game will release fifteen to seventeen years after Skyrim. Skyrim released in 2011, so that's 2025-2028. Essentially, Todd Howard announced a game they knew was at least seven to ten years away. 

Obviously that does sometimes happen.

But not always and not intentionally.

Everwild and Metroid Prime 4 got internally restarted after their announcements for instance.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Everwild and Metroid Prime 4 got internally restarted after their announcements for instance.

Right, I'm not saying that it always happens. However, you said you don't think ANY developer/publisher does this. I'm saying that I do think that a few do. That's all. 

I mean, it's always ok. Whether it's a good idea is a different question.

Take for instance Mass Effect. It was a series that was beloved, but the ending to the third and Andromeda left a bad taste in people's mouths. So EA needed to kind of respark the series. A big part of that was the Legendary Edition rerelease. But... the fanbase may not be too excited to replay Shepard's adventure knowing it was going to have a crap ending and no future.

So, before that was released, they showed a trailer for a new Mass Effect game that implied that the story would in some sense be continued. They let people know it wasn't a dead story/franchise. And, I wound up buying the LE, which I think I may not have done if I didn't have some hope for Mass Effect 4 eventually coming out and being decent. 

With that being said, I kind of assumed that when they showed the trailer, it would be out by now. The initial excitement I felt had kind of subsided. If they said it would be out within a year of the trailer, I'd probably have preordered right away. At this point, the excitement is died down, so I'm probably going to wait for some reviews and maybe even an eventual price drop before playing it.

So, there's a balance there. I think it's best to be up front and clear. Preferably give a projected release year, or at least make it clear from the beginning that something is not coming out for a long time.

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

Right, I'm not saying that it always happens. However, you said you don't think ANY developer/publisher does this. I'm saying that I do think that a few do. That's all. 

I said "intentionally".

But maybe it's the Australian English... Where Yeah Nah means yes and Nah yeah means no.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Deep Down

No, and it's stupid. It just makes the waiting longer and more painful. You don't see movies being advertised as coming in a few years time. The best thing is to show it off 1 year max,not longer.

KratosLives said:

No, and it's stupid. It just makes the waiting longer and more painful. You don't see movies being advertised as coming in a few years time. The best thing is to show it off 1 year max,not longer.

Movies are often announced half a decade ahead. Sometimes even before the movie starts its pre-production stage. The Jungle Book 2 was announced in 2016 and we still have nothing about it

It's just that nobody really cares. Again, gamers really complain about everything 

I really don't care either way. I get why it studios do it and I can't knock them for it. I would probably do the same thing if I was in their shoes.