By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Ok to announce a game that is still many years away from release?

Pemalite said:
GProgrammer said:

You got that backwards

Yeah nah means NO, and vice versa

You just made my point for me. Cheers.

Huh? How did I make your point? Sorry I don't understand.

I assume you are not from Australia or NZ, so you may of misunderstood what Yeah nah there means, as you had it backwards. I was just pointing it out as a native :)

Around the Network

A game that has just been greenlit or at the very start of development should remain unannounced. It could take 5-10 years for all the devs know if they announce it then.
Some examples of games that shouldn't have:
Duke Nukem Forever: Announced in 1997, launched in 2011.
Metroid Prime 4: Announced in 2017, development restarted around early 2019, still no footage, concept art or anything.
The Elder Scrolls VI: A stupid CGI vista in 2018, and the game right now is roughly speculated to launch around 2026-2028.

But I'm picky a lot of the time, a lot of games are announced too early, or they leave us hanging for too long and I'm frustrated they weren't announced earlier before launch.
I know Smash Ultimate only took 4 years after Smash 4, but there was no need to wait until March 2018 to announce it. They could've announced it around September-November 2017. Super Mario Odyssey got a weird few clips in October 2016 in the Switch reveal but wasn't unveiled until January 2017. Nintendo could've unveiled the game with the Switch announcement. Super Mario Bros. Wonder was announced almost 4 months to the day of its release. It should've been shown around the theatrical release of The Super Mario Bros. Movie or even as early as late 2022.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

This seems to be the tradition one the less.

BiON!@