By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Ok to announce a game that is still many years away from release?

Pemalite said:

I said "intentionally".

But maybe it's the Australian English... Where Yeah Nah means yes and Nah yeah means no.

Todd Howard absolutely intentionally announced The Elder Scrolls VI years and years before a possible release date. He said multiple times around the time of announcement that it wouldn't come for many years. 

Around the Network
Doctor_MG said:
Pemalite said:

I said "intentionally".

But maybe it's the Australian English... Where Yeah Nah means yes and Nah yeah means no.

Todd Howard absolutely intentionally announced The Elder Scrolls VI years and years before a possible release date. He said multiple times around the time of announcement that it wouldn't come for many years. 

That has already been established in this thread.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Still waiting for MP4

Last edited by Leynos - on 30 December 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Pemalite said:
Doctor_MG said:

Right, I'm not saying that it always happens. However, you said you don't think ANY developer/publisher does this. I'm saying that I do think that a few do. That's all. 

I said "intentionally".

You got that backwards

Yeah nah means NO, and vice versa

Pemalite said:

That has already been established in this thread.

Then why did you highlight the word "intentionally" as if I somehow missed that specific word?

Around the Network

I don't necessarily have a problem with it. The biggest one that bothered me was Metroid Prime 4, and it wasn't really Nintendo's fault since the original version of the game got scrapped and started over by a new developer. I would like to see them at least wait until a solid base of the game is done, where they don't feel like it might get cancelled or have to start it over.

GProgrammer said:
Pemalite said:

I said "intentionally".

You got that backwards

Yeah nah means NO, and vice versa

You just made my point for me. Cheers.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Short answer. Yes.

Long answer. Yes.

[Switch Friend code: 3909-3991-4970]

[Xbox Live: JissuWolfe]

[PSN: Jissu]

Kristof81 said:

Look no further than Cyberpunk 2077. Announced in 2012, disastrous release in 2020, out of beta in 2022, playable as advertised in 2023.
Did it help to build the hype and inflate their share price? Yes. Did it ruin their reputation and our trust (possibly forever)? Also yes.

Long story short, announcing games which are the far away from release, rarely is a good news for end users. In fact, it does nothing for the customer and it's deliberately created to satisfy short to midterm shareholders' goals.

BTW, CDPR shares still haven't recovered and they've been on 2017/2018 level for 3 years now, but if were an investor before 2021, you could make even 400% on the CP2077 hype and I bet this was the place where the push for the release came from.

Indeed, cdp will never be the same, their next game will not sell as much as if they release what they promised, other studios are in the same position and people will now wait instead.of blind pre order.

They are not the only ones, bethesda todd howard bs dont work anymore, BioWare next game can doom the studio , others in same situation is blizzard. People take time but they learn and are sick of BS.

I think it depends.

1. Depends on the publisher and devs behind the project
-Indie devs showing their game to get funds or something is fine

2. Depends if the company has other games or not, especially the Big 3 as they are platform owners.
-Zelda announcing early was fine, because Nintendo had other hype games releasing. Not fine, if they didn't. It's also fine if any of the Big 3 has to announce games early at the beginning of their new gen to hype up the platform and give fans things to expect.

3. Depends whether they are going to have to delay or not
-It's fine if they say they are aiming for a specific year like Zelda or Silksong (kinda), but not if they give us a specific date early and somehow have to delay it like Starfield. Games like Metroid Prime 4 is a special case, I think announcing that they had to restart production is better than no announcement. Metroid Prime 4 was surprisingly charming because it's something we don't see often, companies being honest and sincere. However, if that becomes a frequent thing, then I would not be okay.