By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it Ok to announce a game that is still many years away from release?

Zippy6 said:

It's annoying. Wolverine was announced too early, and pretty much the entire Xbox lineup was announced too early.

Over 3 years from announce to release is too much. The Xbox Series event in July 2020 is probably the prime example of terrible.

Fable - Still not out
State of Decay 3 - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out
Hellblade 2 - Still not out
Forza - released now, but over 3 years later.

In hindsight that event was awful because they've completely failed to deliver in a reasonable time.

Deja Vu. Check out their 2014 E3 how much they announced. Look how much of that lineup was either heavily delayed for years or outright canceled. I forgot about Everwild. Is it vaporware?

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I like when they announce the game is at development

Development now is taking 4 to 6 years, so sometimes if they only announce the game a couple of months before release it could mean as far as 10 years for the fandom without any clue about the future of the IP

I prefer to be confirmed there will be another game. I don't mind waiting many years. Many movies are announced 5 years in advance and only get their first trailer 6 months before release

What I hate is prolonged pre orders. Only open pre orders when you know when the game is getting release please

Zippy6 said:

It's annoying. Wolverine was announced too early, and pretty much the entire Xbox lineup was announced too early.

Over 3 years from announce to release is too much. The Xbox Series event in July 2020 is probably the prime example of terrible.

Fable - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out

In hindsight that event was awful because they've completely failed to deliver in a reasonable time.

Here's a rundown of the 1st party game announcements Dec 2019 - September 2021. I think I got most of them. Out of the 11 games announced to this day MS has only released 4 of them. Sony announced 11 games, 10 of which are released and just 1 that will release a long time after being announced.

Wow, so many Xbox first party games are still not out

Zippy6 said:

Fable - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out

Here's a rundown of the 1st party game announcements Dec 2019 - September 2021. I think I got most of them. Out of the 11 games announced to this day MS has only released 4 of them. Sony announced 11 games, 10 of which are released and just 1 that will release a long time after being announced.

This really doesnt bode well for Playstation btw, it means that the next really big game (Spiderman/Horizon/GOW) level of game is not releasing anytime soon. The only stuff that Sony announces early are way smaller games. The outlook from PS studios for 2024/2025 is bleak meanwhile Xbox is firing on all cilinders. Oh well at least Playstation has hatted enough to cover these years. I do wonder what the studios are doing, because some should definitely have had something ready before 2026. Especially Bend and Suckerpunch studios, which have big games in development that Sony tends to announce more than a year in advance are taking a really long time.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Why should I care when they announce? If someone chooses to get hyped for said game then that's their choice.

Around the Network
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:
Zippy6 said:

Fable - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out

Wow, so many Xbox first party games are still not out

True, but I think they will all be out before 31-12-2025, which means Xbox has a bright 2 years ahead. Playstation since has announced Marathon, Concorde and Fairground though, which are TBA/2024, so at beast 1 year and for Marathon it will be (a lot) more. It would be nice if Playstation does a few long term announcements.

Nintendo still has committed the worst offenses though this gen so far with Metroid 4, which seems to be skipping the platform entirely or like BOTW will be cross-gen. The only problem is, it was announced rather quickly after the console was released. I think 5 years is a bit much, same for Bayonetta 3, which was announced before Astral Chain, but released much later.

Last edited by Qwark - on 27 December 2023

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Leynos said:
Zippy6 said:

Fable - Still not out
Everwild - Still not out
Avowed - Still not out

Deja Vu. Check out their 2014 E3 how much they announced. Look how much of that lineup was either heavily delayed for years or outright canceled. I forgot about Everwild. Is it vaporware?

As it stands according to various "insiders," the guts of Everwild's game design have been rebooted but still in development.  We're looking at a 2025 release date (or later) at this point.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooo.

Pemalite said:

I came from the Nintendo 64 with the venerable Perfect Dark...

Microsoft teased Perfect Dark for Xbox, which was one of the reasons why I bought the OG Xbox over the Gamecube or PS2. (That and Halo+Fable.)

Eventually the game dropped for the 360, but the tactic actually worked. With me anyway.

I don't think any developer/publisher intentionally announces a game years and years before release... Sometimes things happen, games may not review internally very well, sometimes technology and scope changes.. So it's sometimes better to restart development than cop a public shit-show and rubbish the company name.

Gonna disagree here. I think some developers/publishers intentionally announce games years and years before release. The Elder Scrolls VI being announced in 2018 is proof of this. Todd Howard said himself he believes the game will release fifteen to seventeen years after Skyrim. Skyrim released in 2011, so that's 2025-2028. Essentially, Todd Howard announced a game they knew was at least seven to ten years away. 

No and i am glad sony stopped that shit , its better some assholes saying sony has no games than sony hyping shit for fans to wait 4 or 5 years and its a turd of a game like many these days do