By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Second Runoff Round 2009, Game of the Year

Runoff 2.0, Game of the Year 2009

Batman: Arkham Asylum 23 47.92%

Uncharted 2 25 52.08%

Total:48

Batman: Arkham Asylum was fantastic and showed how good a superhero game could be. I still replay the game around Halloween every year!

Around the Network

This year has many amazing games:

Demon's Souls

Wii Sports Resort

Rabbids Go Home (best Rabbid game)

Little King's Story

Muramasa: Demon Blade

Borderlands

Monster Hunter Tri (which I sunk hundreds of hours into)

But there can only one winner: Another Code: R – A Journey into Lost Memories. This gets a remake on Switch in January, also will for the first time release in the US (we in europe had it back then). IMHO one of the best looking Wii games.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Batman : Arkham Asylum

1doesnotsimply

RE5 for me. Pure zombie mashing fun. Too bad there still isn’t a mod to fix the partner AI.

1. Resident Evil 5
  2. Left 4 Dead 2
  3. GTA Chinatown Wars
  4. Red Faction Guerilla
  5. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  6. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
  7. Machinarium
  8. Shadow Complex
  9. Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
  10. 999

Somehow I’ve still haven’t played some of the biggest games of that year though. Uncharted 2, Arkham Asylum, Bayonetta, Assassin’s Creed 2, Call of Pripyat are all games I want to play.

Last edited by BonfiresDown - on 16 November 2023

Uncharted 2, no contest. One of those sequels that bests the original by so much on so many levels, that the minimal advancements made from then on in the following games never provide that same jump again. The level of polish in Uncharted 2 is great and, after that lame sneaking level at the beginning, the game is fun the whole way through. My second favorite game on the PS3 after Bioshock and one of my favorites of the entire 7th generation.

And while NSMB Wii, Arkham Asylum, Bayonetta and Assassin’s Creed 2 are all great candidates for runner up, I’d vote for Punch Out on the Wii for second place because it’s damn fun and I frickin love those games.

Around the Network

Voted for Assassin's Creed 2 because it's still one of the best games in the franchise and Ezio Auditore is still the best main character in the series. That being said, I enjoyed Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 5, Borderlands and Forza Motorsports 3 just as much and could have voted for either of those games instead.

Other - Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors

Actually an amazing year for the DS with this underrated masterpiece as well as HeartGold and SoulSilver, arguably the best Pokémon games. My top 5 for the year:

1. Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors
  2. Pokémon HeartGold and Soulsilver
  3. Tales of Graces
  4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
  5. Borderlands

I'm guessing Uncharted 2 and Arkham Asylum will do best on the poll but they're both just outside the top 5 for me.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

I have to go with other again this year.

Demon's Souls might deserve it, however like most I didn't get into the series until Dark Souls and as of yet have still not played the first one. (I have the remake sitting in my backlog). So I can't say whether it deserves it as I find the vertical interconnectedness of Dark Souls map its biggest strength.

Games I enjoyed most in 2009:

Uncharted 2! It improved on everything from the first game and the tech advancements were incredible as well. Great puzzles, great set design, great replayability, still my favorite of the series. The tech behind train level is awesome as well as fighting inside a collapsing building.

Prince of Persia meets Tombraider with tons of charm.

Dragon Age: Origins I played through 4 times to get all the different interactions between the characters and different paths through the game. The banter between the characters was awesome. I had hoped BG3 would replicate that but so far DA: Origins stands far above BG3 for me.

Great game, deserves a remake. The sequel wasn't as good.

Yet my goty for 2009 is my favorite Ratchet and Clank game, A Crack in Time

The first time I felt I was actually playing a PIXAR movie, stunning looking game with all the great mechanics of previous R&C games plus time mechanic with extra Braid style time puzzles to unlock at the end. I wish there were more.

Crack in time also borrowed from Super Mario Galaxy with the smaller planets to explore.

It was/is a favorite in our house, all 4 of us have completed the game, my wife and I multiple times. Great end boss as well!

Only downside is, it's on the ps3 and my ps3 controllers are all effed up. DS4 works with ps3 but only wired, need an extension cable to play this again.

As great as Uncharted 2 is, I would narrowly give it to NSMB Wii. It was the first home console 2D Mario game in a while and multiplayer is quite fun.
Shout-out to Scribblenauts for laying a foundation that would be improved in its follow-ups.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

As much as I enjoyed Batman Arkham Asylum (and will probably end up voting for it if there's a run-off) my vote has to go to Other - Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story . It's simply one of the most fun RPGs I've ever played with plenty of action, story twists, and ridiculous humor.