By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The Discussion Thread - The 14th Annual Greatest Games Event

Mnementh said:
Darashiva said:

I guess I could quickly go over the games that fell off my list this year. There are four new games on it this year, so the following games unfortunately fell out as a result:

• Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (PS3) My Rating: 8.9/10
    • I debated for a long time whether the last game I dropped was this, or the one that ended up at #50, but ultimately I decided to finally leave Enslaved off the list. It's been there for a very long time, and the thing that finally decided it in favour of the other game is the fact that Odyssey to the West ends in an unresolved cliffhanger. Otherwise I still love the game, but sadly we're never going to see this story finished.

Ah, the Journey to the West game. The one I always recognize the parts from the novel in, but never have played the game. Actually, now that I have for the first time an Xbox, I saw it in the store on X360 compatibility and wishlisted it, as I remembered from previous guesses from you.

Yeah, it remains one of my favourite games from that generation of consoles, and while you could probably argue that some aspects of the gameplay have aged somewhat since then, it's still a title I go back and replay every once in a while.

Around the Network

Already time to get started huh? Alright then, I'll make my hints a bit easier this year since I don't mind if some of them gets guessed on the first hint, which was very rare last time.

50) The game that made its consoles controller last for 4 generations

49) The title suggests it tells you how to start

48) Despite the title the emotion most people felt at this unexpected revival was excitement

47) Armageddon, but indefinite

46) The second title in a series with a very fitting abbreviation

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Already time to get started huh? Alright then, I'll make my hints a bit easier this year since I don't mind if some of them gets guessed on the first hint, which was very rare last time.

48) Despite the title the emotion most people felt at this unexpected revival was excitement

#48: The people didn't feel dread about Metroid Dread?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

UnderwaterFunktown said:

Doom Eternal?

Mnementh said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

#48: The people didn't feel dread about Metroid Dread?

Machina said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Doom Eternal?

Both correct!

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Dulfite said:

How will Balder'a Gate 3 be handled? Came out on PS5/PC before 10/30 or whatever the cutoff is. Will obviously come out on Xbox after. I hope to play it this year before the year is up, but when I do ifnit cracks my top 50 can I add that one or not?

Sorry if this had already been asked.

Independent of if it already released or not, I usually leave out games I haven't played yet, even if I start in November/December, there is always next year for the list. But besides that: do you really think you can beat a meaty game like BG3 once it comes out on Xbox this year?

Probably not, that's a good point. I still haven't beaten Wonder yet, and I have SMRPG R next.

Might as well get started with the first set of hints too.

• Rodents everywhere

• You're an agent of the church, summoned to a place called Phantasma

• Winter foretells the end of the world

• Marco Polo

• The only game from this year on my list

Darashiva said:

• Rodents everywhere

• Marco Polo

#50: A Plague Tale: Innocence

#48: Was this I am Setsuna?

#47: Was there ever a Marco Polo video game? I don't know, just wanna say Marco Polo would be a great setting for a video game.

#46: So many great games this year, difficult choice. I think you lean Playstation in platform choice, so I go with Spider-Man 2.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Darashiva said:

• Rodents everywhere

• Marco Polo

Is #47 Uncharted 2?

So I did the thing. And have a list. I checked it twice. Okay. So I entered a little under 300 games in the ranking tool thing spoken about earlier in the Sign-up thread, and I have a Top 50 now. I do have to dampen everyone's expectations, it is still quite familiar, if you are familiar with my lists over the years. Anyway, I'll do this 5 games at a time, so here's the hints for the first 5 games;

#50: You think there's only one, but then it turns out there's another. How many of these cruise ships are there anyway? Guessed by Mnementh - Resident Evil: Revelations
#49: Funnily enough this game's setting is also a cruise ship, even though it's unrelated and I personally don't have anything with cruise ships.
#48: No cruise ships in this one, but there is a train to a puzzling town.
#47: The vehicle theme seems to continue coincidentally, but this time it's just car. Pick people up, drop them off and take the shortest route possible. Guessed by Mnementh - Crazy Taxi
#46: Cheerleaders during half-time aren't actually a thing in this sport, at least not on my continent.

Last edited by S.Peelman - on 12 November 2023