By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

PS5 sales down 26% YOY in the month that it got its biggest exclusive to date isn't great.
Granted, some of that will be people holding back for the slim, but I think this effect will be slightly diminished by the price increasing for the all-digital version of the slim, and the disc version not coming with a price cut as revisions often do. I'm not sure a size reduction alone is as big a draw as it is in, say, Japan.

Around the Network

Switch did good, but I was expecting a bit more due to SMB Wonder. Guess there's not much room to boost any further.

So... Are we still tracking the PS4? Because it's getting really low numbers at this point.

Link to VGChartz article here.

Here we see data representing the sales through to consumers and change in sales performance of the three current platforms (PlayStation 5, Xbox Series X|S, and Nintendo Switch) and two legacy platforms (PlayStation 4 and Xbox One) over comparable periods for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023. Also shown is the market share for each of the consoles over the same periods.

Year to Date Sales Comparison (Same Periods Covered)

Market Share (Same Periods Covered)

2020 – (January 2020 to October 2020)

2021 – (January 2021 to October 2021)

2022 – (January 2022 to October 2022)

2023 – (January 2023 to October 2023)

"Year to date" sales for 2020, 2021, 2022, and 2023 sales are shown in series at the top of the table and then just below a comparison of 2023 versus 2022 and 2023 versus 2021 is displayed.  This provides an easy-to-view summary of all the data.

Total Sales and Market Share for Each Year

Microsoft

• Xbox Series X|S
    • 2.62 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 781,071 units (-23.0%)

Nintendo

• Nintendo Switch
    • 3.56 million units sold year-to-date
    • Down year-on-year 496,062 units (-12.2%)

Sony

• PlayStation 5
    • 4.82 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 1,211,847 units (33.6%)
  • PlayStation 4
    • 0.07 million units sold year-to-date
    • Up year-on-year 20,753 (38.7%)

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

So... Are we still tracking the PS4? Because it's getting really low numbers at this point.

I'm genuinely curious as to whether PS4 has actually been discontinued yet; they stopped reporting sales more than a year ago, and it's now three years since it was replaced. These sales are low enough that they could just be leftover stock trickling out.

curl-6 said:
Alex_The_Hedgehog said:

I'm genuinely curious as to whether PS4 has actually been discontinued yet; they stopped reporting sales more than a year ago, and it's now three years since it was replaced. These sales are low enough that they could just be leftover stock trickling out.

I am fairly certain the PS4 was discontinued and at this point it is just whatever stock is left. I've seen a couple of local retailers (New York) have a few in stock. Plus we know it is still selling in Japan. If you add up all the quarterly sales for the PS4 on Sony's website you get 117.2M lifetime shipped. We are a little over 50K away from hitting that with our estimates. 

VGChartz Sales Analyst and Writer - William D'Angelo - I stream on Twitch and have my own YouTubeFollow me on Twitter @TrunksWD.

Writer of the Sales Comparison | Weekly Hardware Breakdown Top 10 | Weekly Sales Analysis | Marketshare Features, as well as daily news on the Video Game Industry.

Around the Network
trunkswd said:

I am fairly certain the PS4 was discontinued and at this point it is just whatever stock is left. I've seen a couple of local retailers (New York) have a few in stock. Plus we know it is still selling in Japan. If you add up all the quarterly sales for the PS4 on Sony's website you get 117.2M lifetime shipped. We are a little over 50K away from hitting that with our estimates. 

Then why we didn't get official announce from sony for both 117.1 and 117.2M figure ?

The last report they provided was 117M. shipped.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
trunkswd said:

Then why we didn't get official announce from sony for both 117.1 and 117.2M figure ?

On here ( https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/ ) it does say "More than 117 million (As of June 30, 2022)" for PS4. But if you add up the FY totals you get 117.1M and if you add the quarterly totals you get 117.2M.

Last edited by trunkswd - on 17 November 2023

trunkswd said:
XtremeBG said:

On here ( https://sonyinteractive.com/en/our-company/business-data-sales/ ) it does say "More than 117 million (As of June 30, 2022)" for PS4. But if you add up the FY totals you get 117.1M and if you add the quarterly totals you get 117.2M.

And due to the shortage of PS5 production in 2022, Sony announced they were continuing production of PS4 until the end of 2022.

On this site ( https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-01-12/sony-tackles-playstation-5-shortage-by-making-more-ps4-consoles#xj4y7vzkg ) it states that 1 million PS4s will be produced but that number is subject to change.

In 2023 they stated that production of PS4 is officially over to make room for PS5. (Best website source I could find https://discontinuednews.com/ps4-discontinued/ ).

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 160 million (was 120 million, then 140 million, then 150 million)

PS5: 130 million (was 124 million)

Xbox Series X/S: 54 million (was 60 million, then 57 million)

"The way to accomplish great things, is to be indefatigable and never rest till the thing is accomplished." - Joseph Smith Jr.

trunkswd said:

Interesting .. So now it only leaves PS2 shipments to be updated on this page.. ooh and PSP as well (since there was confirmation for 82.5M).

Last edited by XtremeBG - on 17 November 2023

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

XtremeBG said:
trunkswd said:

Interesting .. So now it only leaves PS2 shipments to be updated on this page.. ooh and PSP as well (since there was confirmation for 82.5M).

I would love if Sony gave exact figures. At least to the nearest 10,000 like Nintendo gives us (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/finance/hard_soft/index.html ).