By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - October 2023 VGChartz Estimates Thread - Worldwide Estimates Out Now

XtremeBG said:
curl-6 said:

No, I wasn't talking about yearly sales. Why would you assume I meant yearly, in a monthly sales thread? And my point was never that it's "outselling" Xbox, but managing more than double. It's a significant difference in magntitude.

PS4 barely managed to double the Xbox One lifetime, so there were many points in its life when it wasn't hitting that threshold, and that's two systems the same age.

You don't have to find Switch's performance admirable, but I do.

You were refering to " the years since 2012, " see your previous comment. Also what difference does it make how you outsell something ? barely ? seriously ? You either outsell it (in that case double) or not. PS4 did managed to do that. And Even with PS4 it was even harder, because xbox was direct competitor to it. Xbox is not direct competitor to Switch. Also With Switch and xbox they are both in different times in their lifes because they launched with half gen of a difference. And XBOX now is obviously in weaker position than in was in 2013 and even in the peak xbox one years. Of course it is way easier to outsell it double. But PS4 did manage to do that in a harder period for that to happen than now and then with a half gen difference and non direct competitor console. But even you want monthly PS4 did outsell it double and even triple some months. PS5 is now even selling quadruple in some regions .. As I already said, Outselling XBOX and even putting it in a conversation about sales, and saying something is admirable or achievement because of how it is sells compare to xbox is just not relevant for anything.

Barely ... Okay Switch outsold XB1 what ? with 10M more than the barely ? Is this how you calculate a success?

And I haven't said Switch performance isn't admirable. Just you are not comparing it to the right console. Every successful console has outsold xbox one and series and some of them have done it double. There is no such thing as barely. You either do it or not. 117M or 130M are both very good numbers and admirable and achievement. And 130M is not so much more than 117M to put barely on the PS4 and to boost Switch like it's passed 200M.

The conversation can go so quickly to the remarkable PS2 legs and it's sales at the same point in time the Switch is now, and trust me PS2 will burn Switch in the ground by long life sales, performance in late years, YOY sales if you want (from 16 to 16 year to year, and then 8 to 8 one year to the next). Don't get ahead of yourself or ahead of Switch's current sales at least. What about PS2 outselling xbox double in 2006 ? Last gen console to outsell double it's competitor next gen console.

Anyway this is another topic. The point is XBOX is not a factor for any console that want to be named successful. It is maybe only factor for a new console to check if it will become successful, or not, and I am refering to the 360, not XB1 or Series (for now).

And once again, yes PS4 did outsold it twice. Barely or not, it did. Which it means it is again admirable and achievement. And yes there was a months and weeks where it outsold it even triple.

Switch also has years and months were it hasn't outsold xbox twice. for example the first three years of it's life or if you want you can check month by month. If for the year the sales are not double than chances are there are many months that are not double as well. Of course you have to launch align them. It is obvious that Switch outsold XB1 in it's dying years even more than 2:1.

As in, since 2012, not on a basis of yearly sales.

You are getting waaay too worked up over this. I stated a simple opinion and you wrote a whole essay. Relax.