By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 74.8% Of Xbox Series Purchases Were the Series S for April 2022

zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

Makes sense to me, if I were to buy an Xbox I would definitely get the $300 S model vs the $500 X model.

I don’t think the average gamer can see any noticeable difference in the visuals or performance of games on Series S, PS5 or Series X. It’s really only the hardcore gaming enthusiasts and tech junkies that can tell the difference.

Some games get  double performance and many games run at a much better frame rate. besides that physical is great and can save you so much money if you know where to buy and sell. I think it's stupid to get the series S cause it like a 5 year investment and if you are worried about money getting physical is much better cause you can buy from ebay used and sell to ebay or gamestop and get the game for very little money. 

elden ring suck on series s

dead space is only 30fps on series s

games are only gonna become more taxing so series s is just a bad decision if that's your main console.  

You’re talking about personal preferences, I’m talking about the general population. You’re one of the hardcore gaming enthusiasts/tech junkies I’m referring to, the vast majority of people are not going to know the resolution or frame rate of a game unless you tell them. That’s great that you enjoy physical but media is moving to digital and people seem to be happy with that.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
zeldaring said:

I played and very much enjoyed Elden Ring on Series S. Why are so many graphic whores so adamant that their preferences are shared by all people? In reality a lot don't care much and don't notice the differences.

I made a mistake on elden ring I assumed it ran worse the X series it apparently runs near the same but thr main point. It's not worth it for me to save 200$ with out physical and down graded performance in something I'm gonna use for 6 years.

zorg1000 said:
zeldaring said:

Some games get  double performance and many games run at a much better frame rate. besides that physical is great and can save you so much money if you know where to buy and sell. I think it's stupid to get the series S cause it like a 5 year investment and if you are worried about money getting physical is much better cause you can buy from ebay used and sell to ebay or gamestop and get the game for very little money. 

dead space is only 30fps on series s

games are only gonna become more taxing so series s is just a bad decision if that's your main console.  

You’re talking about personal preferences, I’m talking about the general population. You’re one of the hardcore gaming enthusiasts/tech junkies I’m referring to, the vast majority of people are not going to know the resolution or frame rate of a game unless you tell them. That’s great that you enjoy physical but media is moving to digital and people seem to be happy with that.

You can't really talk about what the general population cares about when they buy a 1000$ iPhone every year. People like the latest most powerful tech and they read about how it benefits them. I can imagine the samething for consoles. Ps5 is destroying Xbox sales after all.

gtotheunit91 said:
Norion said:

Larian was struggling to get split screen co-op to run well enough on the Series S to the extent that it was gonna delay the Xbox version to 2024 so Microsoft stepped in and is allowing them to release it with the Series X having that feature but not the S.

It's not just gonna be 1440p vs 4k going forward though, it's increasingly gonna be 720-900p with cutback visuals vs 1080p-1440p with better general visual quality. I'm not saying that the average gamer cares about this stuff a lot, just some. Most don't care enough to get a more powerful premium console or a powerful PC but they care enough to want a normal experience instead of a cutback one.

Definitely. Look at Immortals of Aveum. Running natively at 720p on both Series X and PS5 but being upscaled to 1080p and 1440. Consistent 60fps in Performance Mode is going to be pipedream as the generation continues. More 40-45fps consistently at best. 

Yeah and it runs at a base resolution of 436p on Series S so upscaling can only do so much to help with that currently. More games getting a 40fps option would be good for when 60 isn't doable. 

zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

You can't really talk about what the general population cares about when they buy a 1000$ iPhone every year. People like the latest most powerful tech and they read about how it benefits them. I can imagine the samething for consoles. Ps5 is destroying Xbox sales after all.

How many people buy a new phone every year? Definitely only a small minority.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
zeldaring said:

How many people buy a new phone every year? Definitely only a small minority.

Iphone 14 pro and pro  max shipped around 48 million units in 6 months.

zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

People don’t buy a $1000 phone every year, most people pay little to nothing up front and pay an extra $30 or so on their monthly bill for a couple years, psychologically they are getting a “free” phone.

I’m not really sure how people’s phone buying habits are relevant to the discussion though.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
zeldaring said:

People don’t buy a $1000 phone every year, most people pay little to nothing up front and pay an extra $30 or so on their monthly bill for a couple years, psychologically they are getting a “free” phone.

I’m not really sure how people’s phone buying habits are relevant to the discussion though.

Does it really matter if it's a monthly bill or not? They still paying for it. Anyone who thinks 1000$ In 2 year payments for a phone Is a idiot.

Point is, most of these people want the latest tech, and many people that go waste a hours to upgrade the phone is cause they like the feature, more powerful tech, faster devices. Samething with consoles.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 20 September 2023

zeldaring said:
zorg1000 said:

Does it really matter if it's a monthly bill or not? They still paying for it. Anyone who thinks 1000$ In 2 year payments for a phone Is a idiot.

Point is most of these people want the latest tech, and many people that go waste a hours to upgrade the phone is cause they like the features. Samething with ps5 I'm not buying a ps5 unless it offers a big improvement and thinks to 60fps it does.

Umm…….yes? The only reason high end smartphones sell as well as they do is because of the 2-3 year payment plans that most cell providers offer. If everybody had to pay the full cost of their phone upfront (like they do with consoles) then consumer habits would be a lot different.

zorg1000 said:
zeldaring said:

Point is most of these people want the latest tech, and many people that go waste a hours to upgrade the phone is cause they like the features. Samething with ps5 I'm not buying a ps5 unless it offers a big improvement and thinks to 60fps it does.

Umm…….yes? The only reason high end smartphones sell as well as they do is because of the 2-3 year payment plans that most cell providers offer. If everybody had to pay the full cost of their phone upfront (like they do with consoles) then consumer habits would be a lot different.

I'm sure it helps but people are also addicted to latest phones with the hottest tech. I mean who doesn't have a credit card in America for a 300$ switch or 400$ ps5.  They just don't sell cause of plans, they sell cause people are addicted to the latest tech. I would say you have a ton of gamers that care about graphics and tech and alot of gamers that don't but to say the majority doesn't feel a upgrade from ps4 to ps5 is false.