By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 74.8% Of Xbox Series Purchases Were the Series S for April 2022

Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure, it will probably get more noticeable as time goes on but for the average consumer will it be a big enough leap to pay an extra $200? I feel like the price gap needs to be narrower for the premium model to seem like the better value.

Take Switch for example, the OLED model has become the dominant model because $50 more for a bigger, higher quality screen seems like a good trade off.

Keep in mind the price of the digital PS5, the value proposition of the Series S is quite weak when the price gap is that small. Throw in negative PR from the Baldur's Gate 3 debacle and I expect that 2022 will end up being when the appeal of the Series S peaked with it notably boosting Xbox Series sales that year due to the stock issues. It'll keep selling but the average gamer won't wanna play the worst version of games like GTA 6 so most will get them on either the Series X, PS5 or a good PC.

I’ve never heard about the Baldur’s Gate debacle so can’t really comment on that but weren’t the Xbox One S & PS4 Slim more popular than the X & Pro? I think you’re overestimating how much the average consumer cares about or can even tell the difference between 1440p & 4K or 30fps vs 60fps.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

For what it's worth, I bought a Series S because it's what I was able to find. I later bought a Series X as well. Had they both been readily available at the beginning of the generation, I definitely would have purchased the X first.  But, it is likely that I still would have ended up with both eventually. 

Also, for what it's worth, when I bought a PS5, I chose the model with a disk drive.

IGN is actually very wrong here, this data is April 2022 only, one month, Lol.

Don't know what you want to do with that, a title change, but it changes the thread significantly.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 September 2023

To be honest, people complain about the naming scheme of Wii and WiiU... what about the Xbox? I'm not surprised that people assumed that XBoxS and XBoxX were the same thing and just went for the cheaper one. I can't even remember all of the Xbox names without Googling them (XBox360, Xbox One, Xbox One S, Xbox One X, XBoxS, XBoxS)

I think you should change the tittle of this thread. It is obviously outdated information.

Even in japan, the ratio last year was almost 2:1 and this year is almost 1:1.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:

elden ring suck on series s

I played and very much enjoyed Elden Ring on Series S. Why are so many graphic whores so adamant that their preferences are shared by all people? In reality a lot don't care much and don't notice the differences.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Updated the title but honestly basically changes the entire premise of the thread, Lol.

Anyway here is the document.

This document is for 2022.

• April 2022 Forecast was 64.9%
  • April 2022 Actual was 74.8%

This data is for one month only.

Last edited by Ryuu96 - on 20 September 2023

zorg1000 said:
Norion said:

Keep in mind the price of the digital PS5, the value proposition of the Series S is quite weak when the price gap is that small. Throw in negative PR from the Baldur's Gate 3 debacle and I expect that 2022 will end up being when the appeal of the Series S peaked with it notably boosting Xbox Series sales that year due to the stock issues. It'll keep selling but the average gamer won't wanna play the worst version of games like GTA 6 so most will get them on either the Series X, PS5 or a good PC.

I’ve never heard about the Baldur’s Gate debacle so can’t really comment on that but weren’t the Xbox One S & PS4 Slim more popular than the X & Pro? I think you’re overestimating how much the average consumer cares about or can even tell the difference between 1440p & 4K or 30fps vs 60fps.

Larian was struggling to get split screen co-op to run well enough on the Series S to the extent that it was gonna delay the Xbox version to 2024 so Microsoft stepped in and is allowing them to release it with the Series X having that feature but not the S.

It's not just gonna be 1440p vs 4k going forward though, it's increasingly gonna be 720p-900p with cutback visuals vs 1080p-1440p with better general visual quality. I'm not saying that the average gamer cares about this stuff a lot, just some. Most don't care enough to get a more powerful premium console or a powerful PC but they care enough to want a normal experience instead of a cutback one.

Last edited by Norion - on 20 September 2023

Mnementh said:
zeldaring said:

elden ring suck on series s

I played and very much enjoyed Elden Ring on Series S. Why are so many graphic whores so adamant that their preferences are shared by all people? In reality a lot don't care much and don't notice the differences.

Kinda ironic when you consider the renaissance we're in for retro-style games lol. I don't think many are comparing the graphics of Sea of Stars on Series S and PS5

Norion said:
zorg1000 said:

Larian was struggling to get split screen co-op to run well enough on the Series S to the extent that it was gonna delay the Xbox version to 2024 so Microsoft stepped in and is allowing them to release it with the Series X having that feature but not the S.

It's not just gonna be 1440p vs 4k going forward though, it's increasingly gonna be 720-900p with cutback visuals vs 1080p-1440p with better general visual quality. I'm not saying that the average gamer cares about this stuff a lot, just some. Most don't care enough to get a more powerful premium console or a powerful PC but they care enough to want a normal experience instead of a cutback one.

Definitely. Look at Immortals of Aveum. Running natively at 720p on both Series X and PS5 but being upscaled to 1080p and 1440. Consistent 60fps in Performance Mode is going to be pipedream as the generation continues. More 40-45fps consistently at best.