By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - 74.8% Of Xbox Series Purchases Were the Series S for April 2022

Well, its a lot cheaper.
Also the PS5 is undoubtedly the preffered choice for people going fully into next gen.

Around the Network

After fully digital consoles comes the streaming services. We are soon in the mercy of publishers total control over our hobby.

Surprising but $300 sounds enticing. Results are less favorable unfortunately.

Norion said:

The ratio will have shifted in the past 1.5 years but this does show that for the first couple years that the Series S helped them when stock shortages were a huge issue. Going forward though I expect that its appeal will continuously decline as demanding games run increasingly rough on it.

zorg1000 said:

Makes sense to me, if I were to buy an Xbox I would definitely get the $300 S model vs the $500 X model.

I don’t think the average gamer can see any noticeable difference in the visuals or performance of games on Series S, PS5 or Series X. It’s really only the hardcore gaming enthusiasts and tech junkies that can tell the difference.

Those people care more of course but I think the average gamer will increasingly notice going forward with the cross-gen period largely over now. While Immortals of Aveum is a uniquely bad example currently as this decade goes on more and more demanding games will look really rough on the Series S.

Sure, it will probably get more noticeable as time goes on but for the average consumer will it be a big enough leap to pay an extra $200? I feel like the price gap needs to be narrower for the premium model to seem like the better value.

Take Switch for example, the OLED model has become the dominant model because $50 more for a bigger, higher quality screen seems like a good trade off.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

That's absolutely insane. So 42 millions PS5's versus 6 millions XSX? No wonder developers are using PS5 as lead platform this generation.

Around the Network
Radek said:

That's absolutely insane. So 42 millions PS5's versus 6 millions XSX? No wonder developers are using PS5 as lead platform this generation.

I was thinking the same thing reading this. :-|

-Adonis- said:
Radek said:

I was thinking the same thing reading this. :-|

I'm kinda of still trying to learn this stuff, but don't games take 3-5 years to develop? So everything that has been released was being worked on before there were any console sales?

...to avoid getting banned for inactivity, I may have to resort to comments that are of a lower overall quality and or beneath my moral standards.

zorg1000 said:
Norion said:

Those people care more of course but I think the average gamer will increasingly notice going forward with the cross-gen period largely over now. While Immortals of Aveum is a uniquely bad example currently as this decade goes on more and more demanding games will look really rough on the Series S.

Sure, it will probably get more noticeable as time goes on but for the average consumer will it be a big enough leap to pay an extra $200? I feel like the price gap needs to be narrower for the premium model to seem like the better value.

Take Switch for example, the OLED model has become the dominant model because $50 more for a bigger, higher quality screen seems like a good trade off.

Keep in mind the price of the digital PS5, the value proposition of the Series S is quite weak when the price gap is that small. Throw in negative PR from the Baldur's Gate 3 debacle and I expect that 2022 will end up being when the appeal of the Series S peaked with it notably boosting Xbox Series sales that year due to the stock issues. It'll keep selling but the average gamer won't wanna play the worst version of games like GTA 6 so most will get them on either the Series X, PS5 or a good PC.

V-r0cK said:

https://www.ign.com/articles/75-of-xbox-series-owners-are-series-s-owners-leaked-court-documents-reveal

----

So about +17M people own the S model.  

There was a thread here recently stating if the S model is still needed; I guess this definitely answers the question; yes MS needs the S model. It's should be no surprise that MS isn't planning on releasing a pro model and leaning towards digital only consoles. It's clear that Xbox consumers prefer digital and cheaper price over hardware. 

Ironic that MS released the most powerful console yet majority of their console sales is the weaker model. So I wonder how this will affect MS's strategy for next gen.

MS should forget making an X slim mid-gen and make an S slim-mid-gen instead of just a black version (or make both).  A series S with similar size of the slim PS2 would be something I'd want to pick up. 

Also makes me wonder how many PS5 owners have the digital-only model.

Thoughts?

This is as of April 2022 when the installbase was around 13 million (9.75 S and 3.25 X).

zorg1000 said:

Makes sense to me, if I were to buy an Xbox I would definitely get the $300 S model vs the $500 X model.

I don’t think the average gamer can see any noticeable difference in the visuals or performance of games on Series S, PS5 or Series X. It’s really only the hardcore gaming enthusiasts and tech junkies that can tell the difference.

Some games get  double performance and many games run at a much better frame rate. besides that physical is great and can save you so much money if you know where to buy and sell. I think it's stupid to get the series S cause it like a 5 year investment and if you are worried about money getting physical is much better cause you can buy from ebay used and sell to ebay or gamestop and get the game for very little money. 

elden ring suck on series s

dead space is only 30fps on series s

games are only gonna become more taxing so series s is just a bad decision if that's your main console.  

Last edited by zeldaring - on 20 September 2023