By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware"

Leynos said:
EricHiggin said:
PotentHerbs said:

Right, because we're getting AAA titles like Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon and Wolverine instead. 

-Dips finger into top hole(s) of XBSX

-Pulls finger out and tastes finger

-Needs more Halo

A new Resistance or InFamous would be nice eventually, but I think we can all agree it's better than only Resistance and InFamous over and over.

All 3 are mid

Exactly why XB could use less of a focus on Halo and more Zenimax and ABK new and future IP. It's almost like they're learning from PS.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
zero129 said:

Yeah thanks for proving what i said. Fuck me using USB such a winner .

Actually Sony had the first analog in their flight stick controller. ... then some other company and THEN Nintendo. ..

1. Analog Stick - Twin Analog Stick

2. Rumble inside the controller

3. DVD Gaming

4. Black Disc Information Tech

5. Superior Audio chips (even SNES had them)

6. Cheap bihigh quality Memory Cards

7. Multitap

8. Motion gaming in the living room (PS Eye on PS2)

9. Vita rear pad (used for pushing items into foreground, using in conjunction with the front screen for pinching, putting ur finger inside the game, more)

10. Playstation Move camera tracking motion

11. Console attachable Mini Screens

12. Internet based portable gaming

13. Disjointed multi-directional Dpad

14. True 3D gaming console (Ps1)

15. Blu-ray based gaming

16. Console stands for placing horizontal or vertical

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

I disagree with this list

Reading about people wanting MS to buy Nintendo has grown nauseating after all these years; to say the least.

NobleTeam360 said:

Reading about people wanting MS to buy Nintendo has grown nauseating after all these years; to say the least.

It was nauseating the second it was ever brought up 

EricHiggin said:
Leynos said:

All 3 are mid

Exactly why XB could use less of a focus on Halo and more Zenimax and ABK new and future IP. It's almost like they're learning from PS.

What I'm going to say is very controversial and the Xbox community will probably disagree with me, maybe even throw stones, but...

They should focus on the very strong IPs of ABK and Zenimax and forget about the other small Xbox franchises (I mean everything except Halo and Forza.)

Names carry a lot of weight in the industry. Imagine, 1 competent team makes 2 games in the same genre and of equal quality. The first carries the name Fable, the other carries the name Warcraft or Diablo. I have no doubt that the second will be much more successful, so why invest in the first?

Now that it has better IP's, Xbox should become more focused on ABK and Zenimax. It should, for example, put Obsidian to make a new Fallout, and other studios like The Coalition, the initiative and Playground to work with stronger IPs, and not with Gears, Fable and Perfect Dark.

MS has an absurd amount of successful ips. they should focus on the best of ABK, the best of Zenimax, Halo, Forza and new strategic IP to drive innovation.

Yes, this will radically change the identity of Xbox. But that's probably a good thing considering their current position in the market. Destroy the old Xbox, It's outdated, make the "superior ABZenibox" with Halo and Forza.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 23 October 2023

Around the Network
Manlytears said:
EricHiggin said:

What I'm going to say is very controversial and the Xbox community will probably disagree with me, maybe even throw stones, but...

They should focus on the very strong IPs of ABK and Zenimax and forget about the other small Xbox franchises (I mean everything except Halo and Forza.)

Names carry a lot of weight in the industry. Imagine, 1 competent team makes 2 games in the same genre and of equal quality. The first carries the name Fable, the other carries the name Warcraft or Diablo. I have no doubt that the second will be much more successful, so why invest in the first?

Now that it has better IP's, Xbox should become more focused on ABK and Zenimax. It should, for example, put Obsidian to make a new Fallout, and other studios like The Coalition, the initiative and Playground to work with stronger IPs, and not with Gears, Fable and Perfect Dark.

MS has an absurd amount of successful ips. they should focus on the best of ABK, the best of Zenimax, Halo, Forza and new strategic IP to drive innovation.

Yes, this will radically change the identity of Xbox. But that's probably a good thing considering their current position in the market. Destroy the old Xbox, It's outdated, make the "superior ABZenibox" with Halo and Forza.

Nah. Xbox also needs diversity if they want to succeed. It's not like Xbox is relying on Halo, Gears, and Forza anymore like before. It hasn't even been like that since last gen. They have way more to work with now. Not everything needs to be the most popular stuff. Getting a nice mix of games like; Pentitment, Hellblade 2, Grounded, Hi-Fi Rush, etc. is what keeps them honest to gaming should be about. Letting their studios have creative freedom is what is putting them in a good spot going forward. They already have studios for CoD, ES, WoW, Fallout, Halo, etc. They don't need to double down on those unless a studio wants to work on it. 

smroadkill15 said:
Manlytears said:

Nah. Xbox also needs diversity if they want to succeed. It's not like Xbox is relying on Halo, Gears, and Forza anymore like before. It hasn't even been like that since last gen. They have way more to work with now. Not everything needs to be the most popular stuff. Getting a nice mix of games like; Pentitment, Hellblade 2, Grounded, Hi-Fi Rush, etc. is what keeps them honest to gaming should be about. Letting their studios have creative freedom is what is putting them in a good spot going forward. They already have studios for CoD, ES, WoW, Fallout, Halo, etc. They don't need to double down on those unless a studio wants to work on it. 

Dear colleague, I am not against diversity. I support initiatives like Hi-Fi Rush, Pentitment, new ips and other small projects that expand gender and creative options. These games have a low cost and short development time, and if they are successful, they can gain greater investment eventualy becoming something big l.

That said, I will clarify my problem through 3 examples:

The creation of a "TES clone", Avowed, when you own TES! Why not use the name and the world of TES!? 

Leaving a potential Fallout 5 on ice, waiting for Bethesda, for +15 years, instead. Why not use the IP with another studio?

Letting studios work for +6 years on small IPs like Fable, Hellblade, Perfect Dark, among others, like Avowed. Why not focus on big IPs that could be adapted in the same genre and gameplay. Make almost the same game, the same gender, Just use the setting of the bigger ip.

I feel like Xbox has a team with some of the best athletes in the sport. But it insists on using the least talented reserves and "untested rookies" in the team's most important positions, while the "superstars" sit idle on the bench.

can you understand me?

Edit:

I will go deeper. Think about all shit named "Mario". Mario kart, Mario Tênis, Mario Golf, Mario Party... whit the "Mario" name Nintendo makes the game gain 2X Sales and appeal.

Last edited by Manlytears - on 23 October 2023

Manlytears said:
smroadkill15 said:

Dear colleague, I am not against diversity. I support initiatives like Hi-Fi Rush, Pentitment, new ips and other small projects that expand gender and creative options. These games have a low cost and short development time, and if they are successful, they can gain greater investment eventualy becoming something big l.

That said, I will clarify my problem through 3 examples:

The creation of a "TES clone", Avowed, when you own TES! Why not use the name and the world of TES!? 

Leaving a potential Fallout 5 on ice, waiting for Bethesda, for +15 years, instead. Why not use the IP with another studio?

Letting studios work for +6 years on small IPs like Fable, Hellblade, Perfect Dark, among others, like Avowed. Why not focus on big IPs that could be adapted in the same genre and gameplay. Make almost the same game, the same gender, Just use the setting of the bigger ip.

I feel like Xbox has a team with some of the best athletes in the sport. But it insists on using the least talented reserves and "untested rookies" in the team's most important positions, while the "superstars" sit idle on the bench.

can you understand me?

Edit:

I will go deeper. Think about all shit named "Mario". Mario kart, Mario Tênis, Mario Golf, Mario Party... whit the "Mario" name Nintendo makes the game gain 2X Sales and appeal.

I understand what you are saying. From a business standpoint, it makes sense to have teams work on a game like Fallout instead of Wasteland for example. 

There are a few points I would like to make.

I think Xbox is big enough now to work on those smaller IPs, along with the big ones. I wouldn't be surprised if Obsidian is planning on making a Fallout game once they are freed up from Avowed and/or Outer Worlds 2. Those were already in development before Zenimax was acquired. 

We don't know if one of those smaller IPs might turn into a big one. For all we know Avowed could be the next ES. Fable might see a triumphant return of success. Perfect Dark has been needing a reboot for some time and it could be their next big game. Hellblade 2 goes from indie budget to AAA so it might be more successful than we are expecting. 

I imagine if Xbox doesn't see some form of success from these games, they might go the direction you are saying. Or with how successful their big games are, they can take those gambles on smaller and new IPs like they are now. 

There's a place for smaller projects and niche franchises, certainly, but in today's market, especially with Xbox selling like sand in the Sahara, it's not smart to have so many of your A-teams working for years on them when they could be making system sellers.

curl-6 said:

There's a place for smaller projects and niche franchises, certainly, but in today's market, especially with Xbox selling like sand in the Sahara, it's not smart to have so many of your A-teams working for years on them when they could be making system sellers.

Exactly, that's my point. Xbox has to forget, a little, about the small Ips of the past and focus on the "stars of the team".

Warcraft, Diablo, Overwatch, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Doom, Skylanders, COD, Halo, Forza.

Secondary IPs:
Starcraft, Gears, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, Dishonored, Guitar Hero, and other names...

10 giant Ips and a notable number of secondary names. XBOX now has a huge number of very famous IPs, IMHO, more than Nintendo and Sony combined. They just need talented developers to make the games.