By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer: "Nintendo future exists off their own hardware"

zero129 said:
SvennoJ said:

And there would be a place for XBox hardware as well if MS actually gave a damn about XBox. MS could have taken a giant leap ahead with VR tied to Kinect, full body tracking in VR. And while Series S feels like it's holding back the X, it's the perfect excuse to turn it into the most powerful handheld rivaling Steamdeck.

MS rather competes with Steam, game distribution instead of creation. And how does MS' future not exists off their own hardware, the Azure platform... MS rather keeps their hardware to themselves and wants you to pay for using it which has been their philosophy since introducing live gold.

Nintendo and Sony are still innovating, MS is turning into a reseller.

This is some of the most bullshit i have heard. What did Sony bring to gaming that Ms or Nintendo didnt already do?.

Nintendo Analog stick --> Sony Dual Analog sticks. Nintendo Rumble Pak --> Sony the dual shock,

MS Hard Drive --> Sony Hardrive. Ms proper online with friends list etc on a console -> Sony now the same thing.

Fuck lets go back to sega. Sega Cd Sony using CD's for the PS1. Clearly DVD was the next stage so what did Sony bring???.

Lol dual analogs were invotive as hell. Doesnt matter if Nintendo made the anlog they didn't make dual analogs. Might as well not give Nintendo credit cause we had joy sticks or the atari anglog stick in the 80s lol

Also ps2 is the first console to use USB ports.

I also consider the 360 triggers to be innovative and the duel sense.

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
zero129 said:

This is some of the most bullshit i have heard. What did Sony bring to gaming that Ms or Nintendo didnt already do?.

Nintendo Analog stick --> Sony Dual Analog sticks. Nintendo Rumble Pak --> Sony the dual shock,

MS Hard Drive --> Sony Hardrive. Ms proper online with friends list etc on a console -> Sony now the same thing.

Fuck lets go back to sega. Sega Cd Sony using CD's for the PS1. Clearly DVD was the next stage so what did Sony bring???.

Lol dual analogs were invotive as hell. Doesnt matter if Nintendo made the anlog they didn't make dual analogs. Might as well not give Nintendo credit cause we had joy sticks or the atari anglog stick in the 80s lol

Yeah thanks for proving what i said. Fuck me using USB such a winner .

zero129 said:

Quest 3 is a very good headset. Dont know why your trying to say otherwise?. Just look at the Quest 2 and its already a pretty big jump over that.

I have watched movies on a massive screen in VR on a much lower res Headset and it was good. I am pretty sure i heard plenty of PS users saying how that was also good on the PSVR Maybe even you at one stage not sure??.

Anyway the Quest 3 is my next VR headset since i can use it away from my pc and than on my PC. Like i said before "If" Sony gave the option maybe i would of got the PSVR2, but even than im not sure since like i said i can use the Quest 3 without my PC.

Oh it's a good headset, I just think xCloud is the worst thing you can use on a headset. I tested xCloud wired to my router on Series X and it still randomly dropped to half frame rate with input lag that made it only just possible to complete the FH5 intro. xCloud is better on mobile screens, not cinema size in your face having to look around to see the edges.

I have watched a movie on PSVR via Netflix and two 3D movies on blu-ray. That was enough to convince me it's not worth it. I've also played a bit of flat games on a VR headset. What you get is a very large pixelated view that is rather uncomfortable to watch since the content isn't scaled to be field of view filling. It's cool the first time you use it that way, but (unlike VR games) the wow factor is gone before the movie is over.

The 3D effect with 3D blu-ray does work on PSVR (not supported on PSVR2 ugh) but it's totally different from VR. And without parallax / reacting to head movements, my mind tunes out the fake 3D effect before the movie is over and it all looks pretty much flat. (I watched Tangled and Prometheus in 3D on PSVR, although only half an hour of Prometheus before I switched back to TV)

Of course I'm spoiled by having my own home theater, 92" screen which blows PSVR/PSVR2 out of the water when it comes to watching flat content. And I don't use that anymore currently since it's 1080p SDR and 65" 4K/HDR is far superior in image quality.

So yes it does work, but don't expect anything great looking. I say this because when PSVR2 came out a lot of disappointed people flooded Reddit that were expecting to get a 4K cinema size screen comparable to a large OLED tv... PSVR2 does have OLED but the resolution in TV mode is more comparable to DVD than 4K. You only get the full res if you use the full size and a screen filling your entire field of view (sitting front row middle in the cinema) is not for me. Anyway you've already used cinema mode I see so you know what to expect. Many people just see the listed resolution and expect to get the same quality as on TV.

Maybe I'll get Quest 3 as Puzzling Places is one of my favorites and only Quest has pass through mode for that game. Quest 3's pass through mode looks awesome. (It's fine in PSVR2 but B&W only and no games make use of it) However I'm not a fan of Meta at all, so probably won't.

zero129 said:
zeldaring said:

Actually Sony had the first analog in their flight stick controller. ... then some other company and THEN Nintendo. ..

1. Analog Stick - Twin Analog Stick

2. Rumble inside the controller

3. DVD Gaming

4. Black Disc Information Tech

5. Superior Audio chips (even SNES had them)

6. Cheap bihigh quality Memory Cards

7. Multitap

8. Motion gaming in the living room (PS Eye on PS2)

9. Vita rear pad (used for pushing items into foreground, using in conjunction with the front screen for pinching, putting ur finger inside the game, more)

10. Playstation Move camera tracking motion

11. Console attachable Mini Screens

12. Internet based portable gaming

13. Disjointed multi-directional Dpad

14. True 3D gaming console (Ps1)

15. Blu-ray based gaming

16. Console stands for placing horizontal or vertical

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

zero129 said:
Chrkeller said:

I've lost all interest in MS.  I owned a xbox, 360 and One.  I see no reason to get a Series.  When I look at xbox I cannot find a single game that I want to play that isn't on Steam.

And I'm curious to see what Sony does with Steam...  if they go full blown PC support like MS, next generation is an easy decision.  PC + Nintendo.

Your a Pc owner. As a Console owner just like PS fans im sure Xbox fans find plenty of reasons for having their console. Also all Sony games are going to be coming to PC to think they would back out now would be silly.

People can justify whatever they want.  And I fully expect Sony to support PC, I'm just curious how long it takes them to port stuff like spider 2.  

Around the Network
zeldaring said:
zero129 said:

Actually Sony had the first analog in their flight stick controller. ... then some other company and THEN Nintendo. ..

3. DVD Gaming

7. Multitap

9. Vita rear pad (used for pushing items into foreground, using in conjunction with the front screen for pinching, putting ur finger inside the game, more)

15. Blu-ray based gaming

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

Some of these weren't actual firsts.

The first games console to ever use an analog stick was by Audiosonic, not Sony.

Other 3D systems beat PS to market like the Saturn.

DS beat PSP to market with online portable gaming.

There were experiments in living room motion controls before the Eyetoy.

Don't get me wrong, Sony have provided plenty of innovations since joining the console market, and popularized many features, but if we're gonna get super technical and say N64 wasn't the first ever analog stick, then technically Sony wasn't always the first either.

zeldaring said:
zero129 said:

3. DVD Gaming

7. Multitap

15. Blu-ray based gaming

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

List is terrible and is filled with mostly stuff that failed or wasn't original.

NES had a multitap in 1990.

Putting Rumble, existing tech, inside the controller was just a natural next step.  It was not a creative next step.  It was a no duh next step.

Horizontal stands?!!??  Lol.  

Sony isn't innovative but pragmatic which can be an excellent trait.

I owned every Sony hardware and have loved it.  But what drew me to Sony was knowing what I was getting, not innovation.

Last edited by Chrkeller - on 29 September 2023

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

3. DVD Gaming

7. Multitap

15. Blu-ray based gaming

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

The first games console to ever use an analog stick was by Audiosonic, not Sony.

Don't get me wrong, Sony have provided plenty of innovations since joining the console market, and popularized many features, but if we're gonna get super technical and say N64 wasn't the first ever analog stick, then technically Sony wasn't always the first either.

That's a good point but that was the guy  discrediting dual analogs because nintendo came out with the first analogs when it was the way the implemented that made it innovative just like PlayStation 2 that standardized the use of the second analog stick to control a game’s camera, as well as making use of the analog as the L3 and R3 buttons. That has since become a common control method in the modern era of gaming, with L3 typically being the sprint button and R3 being used to recenter the camera, that's arguably more innovative then the N64 Analog. The dual sense is alos super innovative as well.  

Chrkeller said:
zeldaring said:

3. DVD Gaming

7. Multitap

15. Blu-ray based gaming

17 console HDD on PS2

18. True console VR

19. Dual sense.

List is terrible and is filled with mostly stuff that failed or wasn't original.

NES had a multitap in 1990.

Putting Rumble, existing tech, inside the controller was just a natural next step.  It was not a creative next step.  It was a no duh next step.

Horizontal stands?!!??  Lol.  

Sony isn't innovative but pragmatic which can be an excellent trait.

I owned every Sony hardware and have loved it.  But what drew me to Sony was knowing what I was getting, not innovation.

Disagree  not that i care that much for innovation but they have done plenty of innovative things 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

That's a good point but that was the guy  discrediting dual analogs because nintendo came out with the first analogs when it was the way the implemented that made it innovative just like PlayStation 2 that standardized the use of the second analog stick to control a game’s camera, as well as making use of the analog as the L3 and R3 buttons. That has since become a common control method in the modern era of gaming, with L3 typically being the sprint button and R3 being used to recenter the camera, that's arguably more innovative then the N64 Analog. The dual sense is alos super innovative as well.  

I personally would disagree; click sticks/R3/L3 is effectively adding two more buttons, much like the introduction of shoulder buttons on the SNES. It's a nice addition, but the way analog transformed game control in 3D space was on another level, I mean imagine trying to play a modern 3D game like TOTK, Elden Ring, etc with a D-Pad instead of a left stick.