By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Split Screen ( a dying practice?)

Split Screen dead?

Yes 12 30.00%

No 4 10.00%

Maybe 4 10.00%

Live Forever 2 5.00%

Should be a standard feat... 12 30.00%

Too much effort 1 2.50%

It can boost sales 0 0%

People too rich and buy multiple console 0 0%

Only on nintendo 5 12.50%

Total:40
Chrkeller said:
Barozi said:

It's cool as a teen with limited budget but as an adult you should own enough TVs, computer monitors, notebooks and consoles to set up multiple gaming systems.

Why play splitscreen on one display when you can simply set up a temporary monitor next to your TV so everyone can have their own display?

Splitscreen is definitely the inferior choice here.

So buy two TVs, two ps5 consoles and two copies of the same game???  No.

Obviously not lol

I own three TVs (soon four), one monitor and have permanent access to two more monitors that my wife uses to work from home (property of her employer but whatever). Add to that my notebook which obviously comes with its own screen.

As for gaming platforms, I have an Xbox One, an Xbox One X, an Xbox Series X, a notebook and a PC that both can play modern games on lower to medium settings. Plenty of options to choose from (crossplay between X1 and Series, crossplay between X1 and PC, crossplay between Series and PC or using only PC/notebook or Xbox One/Xbox One X where no crossplay is needed).

Lastly, on Xbox you only need one copy to play on two different systems. Same is true for subscriptions such as Game Pass which can be shared on two platforms without any extra cost.

Now I can couch co-op/MP any game that offers a MP mode instead of just the tiny library of split-screen games.

Around the Network
Barozi said:

It's cool as a teen with limited budget but as an adult you should own enough TVs, computer monitors, notebooks and consoles to set up multiple gaming systems.

Why play splitscreen on one display when you can simply set up a temporary monitor next to your TV so everyone can have their own display?

As an adult with money, I have better things to spend that money on than duplicate hardware. 

SanAndreasX said:
Barozi said:

As an adult with money, I have better things to spend that money on than duplicate hardware. 

This 

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

Split screen has become less and less common since the 8th gen across the board. I still enjoy it, but playing online is what the majority do now, including myself. With that said, there are still some great split screen games out there. Halo Infinite has had split screen at launch for multiplayer, which is what the vast majority of split screen use for Halo is anyways. Gears 5 has split screen. MCC has split screen. When it comes to the big Xbox 1st party titles with legacy split screen Gears of War and Halo still offer it. Forza will be missing it, but I don't remember anyone clamoring for it like Gears of War and Halo.

The reason split screen is so hard to come by these days is in part because of how technology progressed where it's simply more convenient to play with your friend online than to have to travel to their place or vice versa just to get some game time in.

Plus one thing about split screen gaming was people would stay cheating and looking at each other's side of the screen. And yes, I'm guilty lol

Around the Network

My best memories of gaming are all in the same room, together, co-op. Sure a lot of that was playing Everquest and WoW side by side, 2 PCs, 2 subscriptions, buying everything twice, it was hell expensive and totally worth playing together with my wife.

I've never laughed so hard in my life as playing LBP in the same room with friends, not split-screen, but same screen is also great. Same with my wife and kids all playing together, priceless. Terraria 4 player split-screen on a projector was golden. Our kids had friends over and all 4 of them were playing together. Motorstorm was tons of fun in 4 player split-screen as well. Most recently It Takes Two was a great experience together. And next month we'll be playing BG3 in split-screen.

We used to play Halo and Killzone together in split-screen yet FPS have become rather complicated and my wife could not get into Gears 5. Too many buttons, too much going on. Then Halo dropped split-screen smh.

Online gaming on the other hand, I completely avoid that now. It's not worth the aggravation, too many loose cannons online. Split-screen is always a positive experience, online play usually negative.

I love split screen and one of the most memorable experiences from the last few years was playing Outward exactly that way - I've played it with my son on 4K TV with horizontal splitscreen, so you're basically playing on two 3840x1080 (32:9) screens stacked on one another. I like the game as single player just fine, but as a local co-op (especially since it's survival RPG with no markers of where you are on the map, so you really have to get to learn geography of the place) it was way more satisfying experience.

SanAndreasX said:
Barozi said:

lol I could say the same to some of your expenses yet I don't give a damn on what stuff you waste your money on. 

Btw. is this your first gaming generation and have you been in possession of only one gaming system in your entire life? Because otherwise you should easily have all the hardware available to set everything up as I explained.

Chrkeller said:
SanAndreasX said:

This 

So you're not even trying to respond to my last post?

Maybe come up with some counter-arguments instead.

Barozi said:
Chrkeller said:

This 

So you're not even trying to respond to my last post?

Maybe come up with some counter-arguments instead.

How should anyone come up with counter-arguments. Your argument basically was: "Online MP works for me!" Great that it does. And nobody here says online play should be replaced by split screen, in that case you might have an argument. Instead the thread starts off with Baldur's Gate 3, which supports both online *and* split screen coop. Because apparently Larian is able to recognize, that what works for different people might be different. So why are some arguing so mega hard against the "Why not have both?"

I totally understand why companies don't support the feature, because it costs them money. But I can't see an argument against split screen from the consumers point of view.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]