By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS5 Ships 59.3M by 31.03.2024. LT sales expectations?

Lifetime sales expectations

Under 100M 4 12.90%

100-110M 14 45.16%

110-130M 11 35.48%

130-150M 0 0%

150M+ 2 6.45%

Total:31

Like PS4.

Around the Network
LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Megiddo said:

Nah, that's not aggressive at all. Aggressive would be like the PS4, when Sony permanently cut the base PS4 price by 5000 yen in Japan and permanently cut by $50 in USA less than two years into the life of the console. It then had a slim model in its 3rd year for $100 off the original PS4 price. Sony was really aggressive for PS4 but for the PS5, they've been the opposite since they actually raised the base MSRP in many regions around the world. 

Sony SIE made around $350m profits in Q1 while Nintendo made around $1.35b in the same timeframe, and yet Sony still cut the price of PS5 for the sake of moving PS5 units. That sounds too aggressive in my opinions.

Apples and oranges.

1. Nintendo's operating profit in an actual (aligned-ish) similar timeframe (FY2019 Q1) was about 25 billion yen vs Playstation's 52 billion yen. Nintendo's FY2020 Q1 profit was like 5 times higher YOY due in part to the lockdown boom (which other platforms couldn't capitalize on nearly as much) and Animal Crossing's launch/explosion.

2. Playstation's profitability among several other aspects have never been better since PS5 launched despite the economical challenges.

3. Nintendo's real profit driver isn't hardware. It's their 1st party software which annually sell a lot more (twice~ or more) than Sony and retain their prices a lot better. If there is one thing where Nintendo objectively crushes Sony, it's this.

4. Mergers and Acquisition expenses are apparently partly factored into profitability. I'm not sure how this exactly works.

5. Actually-aggressive pricing didn't do shit for the Series S. So much for PS5 facing a much stronger competition compared to PS4! "PS4 only did well because the Xbox One and the Wii U sucked. PS5 is facing much stronger competition" I was told.

PS5's pricing so far isn't aggressive no matter how you spin it. Let me remind you that everyone whined and bitched about the $70/80 game price, and they whined again (myself included) when the PS5 got a price hike everywhere outside the US, claiming Sony is being super greedy and evil. Funny how quickly the narratives shift!

Last edited by Kyuu - on 13 August 2023

they will beat PS4, but not by much, 120-130M.

Kyuu said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

Sony SIE made around $350m profits in Q1 while Nintendo made around $1.35b in the same timeframe, and yet Sony still cut the price of PS5 for the sake of moving PS5 units. That sounds too aggressive in my opinions.

Apples and oranges.

1. Nintendo's operating profit in an actual (aligned-ish) similar timeframe (FY2019 Q1) was about 25 billion yen vs Playstation's 52 billion yen. Nintendo's FY2020 Q1 profit was like 5 times higher YOY due in part to the lockdown boom (which other platforms couldn't capitalize on nearly as much) and Animal Crossing's launch/explosion.

2. Playstation's profitability among several other aspects have never been better since PS5 launched despite the economical challenges.

3. Nintendo's real profit driver isn't hardware. It's their 1st party software which annually sell a lot more (twice~ or more) than Sony and retain their prices a lot better. If there is one thing where Nintendo objectively crushes Sony, it's this.

4. Mergers and Acquisition expenses are apparently partly factored into profitability. I'm not sure how this exactly works.

5. Actually-aggressive pricing didn't do shit for the Series S. So much for PS5 facing a much stronger competition compared to PS4! "PS4 only did well because the Xbox One and the Wii U sucked. PS5 is facing much stronger competition" I was told.

PS5's pricing so far isn't aggressive no matter how you spin it. Let me remind you that everyone whined and bitched about the $70/80 game price, and they whined again (myself included) when the PS5 got a price hike everywhere outside the US, claiming Sony is being super greedy and evil. Funny how quickly the narratives shift!

I'm sorry people, but the only opinion that counts is that of the guy who claims to be an analyst and who predicted that the PS4 would never overtake the Wii. I've forgotten his name, but he's a sure bet.

-Adonis- said:
Kyuu said:

Apples and oranges.

I'm sorry people, but the only opinion that counts is that of the guy who claims to be an analyst and who predicted that the PS4 would never overtake the Wii. I've forgotten his name, but he's a sure bet.

I'd forget their name too! I mean PS4 not being able to outsell the Wii was a rather common sentiment until like early 2018.

The PS4 was only a second to the Switch when it comes to underestimation and embarrassing predictions.

Around the Network

Time to renew the thread!
Vote and post if you expectations have moved.

My sales comparison threads:

Ultimate Showdowns: JP 2023 / JP 2024 / 2024 / 2023 / 20222021

Lifetime Showdown / Historical Showdown / YOY Charts / 140M+ Club Chart

Still sticking with my expectation of roughly the same as the PS4

How are people thinking it won't outsell the PS4? It's selling as well as the PS4 did the first 3 years even with supply issues and no permanent price drop. It will most likely have a longer lifespan than the PS4. It will have a new main GTA game

PS5 is about to take over PS4 launch aligned and Xbox hardware this year has been a disaster despite actually releasing some games this year unlike last year. The PS5 is looking to be more dominant than the PS4 was so I'm seeing it breaking the 120m mark. If this generation lasts a year longer than the previous one as has been suggested then the 130m mark shouldn't be a problem either.

2027 gen end = 120m-130m
2028 gen end = 130m-140m

They're my rough estimates currently.

I'm surprised that it's still selling quite well despite the pricing fuckery (I don't care anymore if it's Sony's greed or inflation and what have you is causing this). Right now I think 120-130 million units is the safest bet, but I'm gonna have to wait and see how the market will react to the "Slim" revision. At the prices they're asking, it's hard not to see PS4 outpacing it in the near future... hopefully that would be the point it gets a permanent price drop as opposed to another damn hike!