By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want to see from next gen Nintendo games?

Depends on the game.

Something like 3D Zelda, Animal Crossing, or RPGs like Pokemon, Fire Emblem, or Xenoblade Chronicles, I don't really care that much about frame rate. Because in those games where there's a bigger emphasis on the world you're exploring and the things in it - resolution and picture quality take more of a priority. Because if I'm going to be looking at this thing for very long, extended periods of time, it better be pleasing to the eye. So, if those can be 720-1080p or even 4k (assuming Switch 2 reaches that level), then I'm perfectly fine w/ 30 fps, especially if it's a smooth and consistent 30 fps w/ little to no dips.

But for something like 2D/3D Mario, Mario Kart, Smash Bros. Splatoon, or 2D Metroid, I absolutely care about frame rate above all else. Because in those games, there's more emphasis on the action and what you're doing. Which requires quick response and reflexes from the player. As such, you're not really paying attention to the world or environment you're in because your eyes are glued on Mario, Samus, or whoever you're playing as trying to dodge whatever attack or projectile is coming towards you and then attacking when the opportunity presents itself. So those moments when I try to do something, those button responses and controller-to-console feedback better be right on point!

Around the Network

I kinda expect one re release of SMT V

Cobretti2 said:

Exactly Starlink failed as it was repetitive, and buggy form memory at the start.

Wen I think of a modern Starfox, you take the elements of Freelancer (i.e, the space hub as 160rmf brought up) and you combine it with elements of a Mario/Zelda open world for each place visited, they don't have to each be that huge but vary the sizes based on the planet size / asteroid belt / nebula etc to give it a bit more depth). The reason you have the space hub is to make the lading seamless between the different vast environment of each new area. The missions should also be a mix of flying, and on foot and vehicle missions. Starlink for boring because it was all the same)

Now yes I agree Starfox is small, but like I mentioned before this is where Nintendo's new discovered avenue of media making (i.e. the Mario movie) comes into play. Create a TV series for kids that will help shape the story of a hub/open world game and they will get onboard the game and hep he franchise grow.

Definitely, I like that idea, they can always make some hazards or an U turn if the airwing reach the limits of the world.

To add on the part of the missions, for each level, they can make a checklist and when you reach a certain point you unlock an on rails segment that will lead to a boss battle, after defeating the boss you reach a complete status. Complete all the missions and it'll lead to another on rails segment to a second boss battle and then after that you finally reach the accomplished status. Just to keep with the franchise's essence.

In reality, there is so many things they can add that respect the franchise's essence but also exploring planets with more freedom than previous games 

Last edited by 160rmf - on 20 August 2023

We reap what we sow

1080p 60 FPS per game.
More voice acting would also be nice.

Smash Bros the only thing I can think is keep Ultimate but make a Deluxe edition with a proper story mode. I won't forgive them if they cut some characters, even the fire Emblem ones (as long if they don't add 5 more slots for the franchise)

We reap what we sow

Around the Network
Chrkeller said:
curl-6 said:

60fps comes with compromises; for a game like modern Zelda, a big part of its appeal is the richness and dynamic nature of its world. 30fps allows for much more processing time for physics, interactive systems, AI, simulation.

60fps is great for some games, but its not always the best use of limited processing power, in my opinion.

I see where you are coming from and don't get me wrong I love tears and breath.  But fps directly impact gameplay.  60 fps is so smooth and accurate with aiming.  I'll take fps over resolution.  

60 fps and 30 fps aren't the only options anymore, especially if Nintendo chooses the display for the next Switch hardware.

This will allow other fixed display frequencies like 40 Hz, 45 Hz or 50 Hz for undocked mode. Also dynamic 40 - 60 Hz if they use a VRR / G-Sync-compatible display. 

And in docked mode there could be an option to fixed 40 fps on 120 Hz displays or also dynamic 40 - 60 Hz on TVs with VRR-support.

160rmf said:

Smash Bros the only thing I can think is keep Ultimate but make a Deluxe edition with a proper story mode. I won't forgive them if they cut some characters, even the fire Emblem ones (as long if they don't add 5 more slots for the franchise)

They aren't gonna outdo Ultimate, and they shouldn't just "Deluxe" it, so either:

(1) keep battle mode the same but grow the story mode, as you're saying 160rmf, into a full lengthy action-adventure game, perhaps in the style of Subspace Emissary but much much bigger and deeper, with real story and plot for different characters, plot lines for characters diverging and converging, and really worthy of being a great standalone game by itself. Though it definitely shouldn't be just "Ultimate Deluxe" because that would be terrible marketing and make people much less interested in it if they thought it was just an updated version of a game they've already bought. Next gen Smash should not be an Ultimate port no matter how "Deluxe". It should be a different game, as all Smash games have been, not trying to outdo Ultimate but just making the normal small changes/tweaks to the gameplay and content, probably simplifying down a bit to get rid of some characters and stages but also of course add a few new characters and a few new stages, and of course do normal small updates to the moves and so on, but then really make a proper expansive full-on game for the story mode.

(2) make Smash fully online and make it come with NSO expansion pack to get more people to sign up for the subscription, and this way they don't have to keep making a new Smash each gen and trying to iterate on a pretty perfected formula, and they can either add a bit of content annually or do a 'seasons' format like some other games do.

(3) keep the gameplay the same and give us just another iteration of Smash as we are used to, but totally change up the art style so that even if the game is just another Smash it looks totally different. Could be really cartoony cel shaded graphics, maybe even anime-ish, or they could make the first actual 2D Smash but give it a really badass stylized art style. Just something that would make it look totally different if they are just gonna do another normal Smash bros. The art style would give it uniqueness in the series.

I could go with any of these options, the one thing I think they can't do is just give us another plain iteration on Smash. They've already done the "ultimate" version of what Smash has been working towards since they created the series. I can't think of something outside these three unless they actually changed up the core fighting gameplay but that would obviously be risky to do for one of their most popular franchises.

Last edited by Slownenberg - on 20 August 2023

If not a new F-Zero, than at least give us a new action game starring Captain Falcon called Captain Falcon and have it be about his work as a bounty hunter. And definitely with his moveset from Smash Bros.

Slownenberg said:
160rmf said:

Though it definitely shouldn't be just "Ultimate Deluxe" because that would be terrible marketing and make people much less interested in it if they thought it was just an updated version of a game they've already bought. Next gen Smash should not be an Ultimate port no matter how "Deluxe". It should be a different game, as all Smash games have been, not trying to outdo Ultimate but just making the normal small changes/tweaks to the gameplay and content, probably simplifying down a bit to get rid of some characters and stages but also of course add a few new characters and a few new stages, and of course do normal small updates to the moves and so on, but then really make a proper expansive full-on game for the story mode.

Yeah, I agree. I didn't put much thought about, because bringing Ultimate for next gen would solve them the problem to re-do the license rights for the outside fighters (I think).

Also would save them time to give a huge focus on story mode and make something way better than subspace emissary, which despite being the best approach in the series for story mode, I am not a big fan regarding the gameplay segments.

So in my mind, making the story mode as something so great that would shy the main game as just extra content, would make it hard for people having second thoughts about this being an enhanced port. 

But that's just me who don't want cut the roster and want the necessary attention for story mode lol Maybe they can solve this without the need to resorting to a Deluxe edition 

We reap what we sow

For Animal Crossong I would like to have bigger quests designed to befriend the villagers. New Horizons is fantastic, but it's more like a farm/city simulator than a life simulator. Most of villagers are identical, except of their aesthetics and they are in the island only to be part of the scenario. More diversity in their roles and the activities would make them more special and giving a sense of accomplishment for befriending them other than just giving random gifts until they decide you're their friend

For Fire Emblem I want a return to 3 Houses social sim elements, just more streamlined with sobre QoL when NG+ to make some activities less of a shore. Also want to have multiple routes but please make good maps and cut scenes for all the. 3 Houses needed one more year to be developed, maybe two, to be a 10/10 game

Foi 2D Metroid, I wanted the map to have more freedom to explore in any sequence we want, more like Ori 2 or Hollow Knight. I loved Dread but it looks an action game more than a Metroidvania.

For Zelda bigger and better dungeons. I really want to say more challenging combat but honestly this will never happen with Nintendo IPs so yeah

For new IPs, I wanted more RPGs or at least actions RPGs. Xenoblade is definitely not for me.