By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What do you want to see from next gen Nintendo games?

160rmf said:
mZuzek said:

Star Fox will never be Mario and Zelda and neither am I expecting it to. I wouldn't expect a Star Fox game to ever cross 5 million in sales and that's perfectly fine, lots of great games don't. To be honest, at this point I'm not sure I even expect a new game to come out at all.

Don't need to reach the Nintendo Triforce level (Zelda/Mario/Pokemon), but a considerable jump in sales over SF64 would be great. If they play their cards right, I can see something more than 5M. The key is to be ambitious, but don't be messy (specially with the controls).

I think Star Fox, despite the turds, will always make a return (Maybe they are hoping to strike gold like the first two entries). I just hope this time something really good come out of it and like I said before, the franchise has the potential 

^This. Star Fox doesn't need to do 30 million like Breath of The Wild. Even if it's just 3 to 5 million I'm happy. I'd also like a new Advance Wars that essentially replaces Dual Strike and gets rid of Jake because he was a cheap stand in for Andy.

Around the Network

Yeah I'm with mzuzek, Starfox wouldn't benefit from being open world, that would likely result in too much tedious commuting between the action. Starlink tried this and it sucked. Keep it fast paced and condensed, with no stupid gimmicks. Every Starfox game since 1997 has been shit because they keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

As far as the topic question, I don't really care for 4K or everything being 60fps, just give me a generational leap in the actual lighting, textures, geometry, effects, etc.

That makes a bigger difference to me than pixel count. I'd rather have PS4+ graphics at 1080p than Switch graphics at 4K. It's been over a decade since the last big jump in graphics from Nintendo and I'm really starting to crave more.

I wanna see a Xenoblade game with gorgeous, lush and richly detailed worlds, or a 3D Mario that looks like high-end cartoon games on PS4.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 18 August 2023

LM4 and Pikmin 5. Also Wind Waker HD at 60 fps.

i7-13700k

Vengeance 32 gb

RTX 4090 Ventus 3x E OC

Switch OLED

curl-6 said:

Yeah I'm with mzuzek, Starfox wouldn't benefit from being open world, that would likely result in too much tedious commuting between the action. Starlink tried this and it sucked. Keep it fast paced and condensed, with no stupid gimmicks. Every Starfox game since 1997 has been shit because they keep trying to reinvent the wheel.

As far as the topic question, I don't really care for 4K or everything being 60fps, just give me a generational leap in the actual lighting, textures, geometry, effects, etc.

That makes a bigger difference to me than pixel count. I'd rather have PS4+ graphics at 1080p than Switch graphics at 4K. It's been over a decade since the last big jump in graphics from Nintendo and I'm really starting to crave more.

I wanna see a Xenoblade game with gorgeous, lush and richly detailed worlds, or a 3D Mario that looks like high-end cartoon games on PS4.

For sure better graphics is way more important than 4k or 60fps. 30fps is perfectly fine except for that rare game that has really fast action ie. mario kart, smash, fzero you probably want 60fps, most other Nintendo-made games aren't really fast action so 30fps is great. These days some people act like 30fps is slow lol, 30fps has long been the standard and you only start noticing slowdown if it gets down to around 20fps so a rock solid 30 is perfect for the majority of games. And obviously in handheld it only needs to do whatever the screen resolution is (I'm guessing it won't even be 1080, probably 900), with DLSS maybe it'll be able to push it up to 4k in docked I dunno but really not necessary at all. 4k would be mostly just for marketing rather than actually being important to have for games.

I'd much rather be having a nice big generational graphical leap still playing games at 1080p and 30fps than a somewhat more moderate generational leap playing games at 4k and 60fps.

Anyway, this is supposed to be games discussion not graphics discussion haha

Actually I think Nintendo should stick with what they do currently, that is trying new ideas to mix up gameplay. The physics of BOTW and TOTK are an example and the wild ideas it seems of Mario Wonder look very promising.

Other than that I would like if Nintendo tried it's hand at a simulation like game, preferably a god like game like Populous could be real fun if Nintendo puts their ideas to it.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network

Starlink sucked because it was poorly executed on this aspect, not because it was open world solely.

I am still confident Star Fox can be good with open world

We reap what we sow

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

For sure better graphics is way more important than 4k or 60fps. 30fps is perfectly fine except for that rare game that has really fast action ie. mario kart, smash, fzero you probably want 60fps, most other Nintendo-made games aren't really fast action so 30fps is great. These days some people act like 30fps is slow lol, 30fps has long been the standard and you only start noticing slowdown if it gets down to around 20fps so a rock solid 30 is perfect for the majority of games. And obviously in handheld it only needs to do whatever the screen resolution is (I'm guessing it won't even be 1080, probably 900), with DLSS maybe it'll be able to push it up to 4k in docked I dunno but really not necessary at all. 4k would be mostly just for marketing rather than actually being important to have for games.

I'd much rather be having a nice big generational graphical leap still playing games at 1080p and 30fps than a somewhat more moderate generational leap playing games at 4k and 60fps.

Games wise I am quite happy with the way they make them already; Switch games like BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread, Xenoblade 2 and 3, Splatoon 2 and 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, all terrific stuff.

I mean, it'd be cool to see them take things further with regards to scope and seamlessness, and for something like the next Zelda, even more in-depth physics and interactivity, but even with the Switch we're kinda passed the point where more power means radically more gameplay possibilities. Even on PS5 most games are essentially PS3/360 games with prettier pixels.

Exactly Starlink failed as it was repetitive, and buggy form memory at the start.

Wen I think of a modern Starfox, you take the elements of Freelancer (i.e, the space hub as 160rmf brought up) and you combine it with elements of a Mario/Zelda open world for each place visited, they don't have to each be that huge but vary the sizes based on the planet size / asteroid belt / nebula etc to give it a bit more depth). The reason you have the space hub is to make the lading seamless between the different vast environment of each new area. The missions should also be a mix of flying, and on foot and vehicle missions. Starlink for boring because it was all the same)

Now yes I agree Starfox is small, but like I mentioned before this is where Nintendo's new discovered avenue of media making (i.e. the Mario movie) comes into play. Create a TV series for kids that will help shape the story of a hub/open world game and they will get onboard the game and hep he franchise grow.

curl-6 said:
Slownenberg said:

Games wise I am quite happy with the way they make them already; Switch games like BOTW, TOTK, Mario Odyssey, Metroid Dread, Xenoblade 2 and 3, Splatoon 2 and 3, Kirby and the Forgotten Land, all terrific stuff.

I mean, it'd be cool to see them take things further with regards to scope and seamlessness, and for something like the next Zelda, even more in-depth physics and interactivity, but even with the Switch we're kinda passed the point where more power means radically more gameplay possibilities. Even on PS5 most games are essentially PS3/360 games with prettier pixels.

For sure at this point more detailed graphics isn't gonna improve gameplay, just makes things prettier. Obviously next gen everything will take a leap in graphical quality, but like you said with wanting gorgeous, lush, richly detailed worlds, I prefer that too over something like bumping up fps and resolution. So yeah give us next gen leap in graphics, and don't try to be the consoles with 4k/60fps instead using some of that extra power to make lush richly detailed worlds. Like you said Zelda could have even more in-depth physics....I'd actually disagree with that. I don't see any point in trying to do that, that's an area where Zelda really doesn't need any improvement, but instead use that power to fill out the flora and fauna of the world. That sort of stuff actually would make a difference, as opposed to just more polygons per item, higher res, higher framerate. I mean I expect next gen to put out higher resolutions when docked, but definitely don't want this seeming obsession with console gamers of demanding 4k/60fps, cuz that's just unneccesary.

Luckily because few of Nintendo's franchises go for the realistic art style I think we will indeed have Nintendo using excess power for more interesting things that actually add to the games, rather than just bumping up polygons per item, fps, and resolution.

Slownenberg said:
curl-6 said:

For sure at this point more detailed graphics isn't gonna improve gameplay, just makes things prettier. Obviously next gen everything will take a leap in graphical quality, but like you said with wanting gorgeous, lush, richly detailed worlds, I prefer that too over something like bumping up fps and resolution. So yeah give us next gen leap in graphics, and don't try to be the consoles with 4k/60fps instead using some of that extra power to make lush richly detailed worlds. Like you said Zelda could have even more in-depth physics....I'd actually disagree with that. I don't see any point in trying to do that, that's an area where Zelda really doesn't need any improvement, but instead use that power to fill out the flora and fauna of the world. That sort of stuff actually would make a difference, as opposed to just more polygons per item, higher res, higher framerate. I mean I expect next gen to put out higher resolutions when docked, but definitely don't want this seeming obsession with console gamers of demanding 4k/60fps, cuz that's just unneccesary.

Luckily because few of Nintendo's franchises go for the realistic art style I think we will indeed have Nintendo using excess power for more interesting things that actually add to the games, rather than just bumping up polygons per item, fps, and resolution.

I'm not saying they should put all the extra power into physics; filling out the world with flora, fauna, and rich detail should be a high priority as well. You can do more than one thing with a generational jump of processing muscle.

But yeah, the obsession with 4K/60fps is silly in my opinion. I'd be fine with the next Zelda being 1080p/30 if it had a gorgeous, detailed and highly interactive world.