By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2023 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

znake said:

King Switch getting another 10 million seller I fear

Uh, 10M is a stretch. You overestimate the previous entries. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the only one past 2M. Pikmin 3 and Deluxe combined are at 3.5M. So yeah, Pikmin 4 is much bigger with these numbers, but that means it has a chance to break 5M, not 10M.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Around the Network
pikashoe said:
curl-6 said:

Pikmin? I really doubt it.

It's a big hit for what it is, but an RTS game on a console just isn't mainstream enough to hit 10 million.

Previous Pikmin games have all sold less than 2 million (on original release)  so if Pikmin 4 can pass even 3 million that'd be a big success.

I feel like 3 million is the floor for this, with pikmin 3 deluxe selling at least 2.23million (probably closer to 2.5mil+ since sales haven't been updated in a long time). This is also the first time a new Pikmin game has released on a successful console. I'm expecting somewhere in the 3.5-4.5 mill range for this one.

Oh I expect it to do well over 3 million as well, just saying what I'd consider the threshold for it being a hit.

Pikmin 3 deluxe should be getting a sales update very soon as well

Hardware sales in Japan really look to me to be skewed because of a not insignificant amount of units going to China, PS5 baseline is way too high, even PS4 being way up over last year tells me a lot of systems (Switch too) are going to China because no one there wants to buy the Chinese systems (can't blame them).

Also lol, Pikmin 4 is going to outsell a mainline Final Fantasy game in Japan, who'd have imagined that 20 years ago. 

curl-6 said:

Excellent numbers for Pikmin 4, looks like it will be yet another franchise to shatter its previous sales ceiling on Switch.

I was there in Japan last week and this tallies with what I saw; the Switch section of game stores quite active, ads for Pikmin 4 all over the place, long lines at Nintendo Tokyo.

kazuyamishima said:

Bayonetta 3 didn't bomb, it sold over a million in its first two months. It's simply a niche series.

He was talking about how it sold in Japan. But even so it didn't bomb since it sold over 160k with digital in Japan up until March 31st of this year, which is very strong for a game of this type and more than 10% of it's worldwide sales.

Around the Network

04./00. [NSW] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Awakening (Koei Tecmo) {2023.07.20} (¥10.800) - 10.633 / NEW
05./00. [PS4] Nobunaga’s Ambition: Awakening (Koei Tecmo) {2023.07.20} (¥10.800) - 10.434 / NEW

Pretty close to one another. Curious how it was for the last Nobunaga game.

At any rate, it's nice to see Pikmin finally... bloom. ;)

Switch is only areound 200k or less than 10% down YTD in its 7th year by now which is bonkers.
Also, Pikmin's first week almost outsold the entire install base of Xbox Series lmao

Pikmin 4 beasting party 🎉

I was not amongst those who expected it to completely floor is with such a result. 400K in FW sales puts a little bit closer to a franchise like Kirby if y'all want some perspective.

I'd agree to think that 3M is about what we should expect with this game's floor but 5M early on seems to be quite the lookers too.

Nintendo next fiscal report will prolly touch on the game's first week sales

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Agente42 said:
CosmicSex said:

The PS5 is continuing to sell very well.

Excellent for Sony but videogame was only a box you get the games. The physical market in the dominant physical market is not existant is concern. Retail presence in Japan matter and the space for the exhibition of sony videogame diminishing in stores.

I'm not really concerned with physical sales in Japan.  I think it's well documented that most of the PS5 game sales are digital. I think when you look at the 10x more Switch owners in Japan along with the greater digital distinction,  games probably have similar tie ratios on average.

I don't think anyone seriously believes that people in Japan buy any games for their PS5.