By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 30, 2023 (Jul 17 - Jul 23)

Olivernintentoal said:
UnderwaterFunktown said:

Let's go Pikmin!

Wonder how high it can go? Games have made it to 1 mil with lower openings, but that's probably a stretch this late in the Switch lifespan. Regardless it should easily set a series record.

I'll take that bet! I think Pikmin 4 will definitely hit over 1 million in Japan, especially with digital.

Oh with digital for sure, I agree with that. Physical I'm not so sure about though, but it's certainly not impossible.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Around the Network
Machina said:

I knew people were sleeping on Pikmin 4 a bit. The 171k debut for a Deluxe port pointed towards big things for the next mainline entry on Switch.

True, but I was expecting more something like 300k, not 401k. Pikmin is entering the big league in Japan with that launch.

The PS5 is continuing to sell very well.

Hey don't write off Final Fantasy 16 yet, there's the price difference. 3000 yen difference is HUGE. However, Pikmin will probably prevail

Sheesh, I’m pretty sure if you include digital, Pikmin 4 is already over half way to a million!

Around the Network

Oh BTW,
Switch is just 4,817 units away from 30M.

After three entries in a row released on flops it's nice to see Pikmin finally get a good chance to increase its audience.

According to Famitsu Xbox Series X | S is now the second best selling Xbox in Japan.

Here are the numbers

Xbox 360
Release Date: December 10, 2005
Retail Price: ¥37,900
Units Sold: 1,616,128 

Xbox Series X | S
Release Date: November 10, 2020
Retail Price: ¥49,980 | ¥32,980
Units Sold: 473,570

Xbox
Release Date: February 22, 2002
Retail Price: ¥34,800
Units Sold: 472,992 

Xbox One
Release Date: September 4, 2014
Retail Price: ¥39,980 (Xbox One + Kinect ¥49,980)
Units Sold: 114,831 

rapsuperstar31 said:
Pinkie_pie said:

So you think square and other developers are devastated about their games not selling as well as most 1st party switch titles in Japan? My argument was about that

Square Enix decided to put the game on a console with less than 12% of the Switch's sales.  If Square didn't always need their mainline Final Fantasy games to be the best graphical experiences possible, they could have easily made a mainline Final Fantasy over the last 7 years on the Switch that would have debuted with over a million physical sales in Japan.

I much prefer Square putting mainline Final Fantasy on platforms that meet their ambitions, that made the franchise what it is when it reached it's golden era & switched to playstation to utilise CDs. I'm not crazy over FFXVI's gameplay system but I'm in love with everything else & I'd hate to see that sacrificed to squeeze it onto the Switch.

I'd love to see them make a spin off series with smaller budgets (2.5 year development cycles), a modern and polished match to FFXII HDs standard. Not bleeding edge graphics but still artistic ambitions with style/story/world/characters (I think Bravely Default is a bit too safe)...

But the mainline franchise shouldn't default to Switch just so it can boast of 1m openning week in Japan. 

Last edited by Otter - on 28 July 2023

rapsuperstar31 said:

Square Enix decided to put the game on a console with less than 12% of the Switch's sales.  If Square didn't always need their mainline Final Fantasy games to be the best graphical experiences possible, they could have easily made a mainline Final Fantasy over the last 7 years on the Switch that would have debuted with over a million physical sales in Japan.

I think people expect all games to overperform in Japan just because the Switch, demographics are different.

If that was the case, games like Bayonetta 3 or FE engage might had exploded in sales, but the former for example, bombed.