By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Baldur's Gate 3 - “It’s Rockstar-level nonsense for scope”

JRPGfan said:
gtotheunit91 said:

Well, I have no doubt the likes of Obsidian and inXile are keeping a VERY close eye on BG3. Bring on the CRPG golden age!!!

I dont think inXile are capable of handling a tittle like BG3.... the quality and polish wont be there.
Obsidian might be able to, but their next two games are differnt genre's (not really crpgs).

I meant more as both studios seeing what CRPG's are capable of when properly made.

I would love to see another Pillars game from Obsidian though or even Tyranny. Maybe after Avowed brings in more players to the world of Eora, more players would be willing to give Pillars a try. 

Torment: Tides of Numenera was okay for sure, but the quality of Wasteland 3 was astounding for inXile. It did need some extra polish for sure, but now that inXile has a budget to grow and work with, I think they are capable now of making another CRPG. Which they might be. They had 2 projects in the works and we only know of one of them now being Clockwork Revolution. 

I'm not saying every game has to be as big as BG3, I just want more CRPG's to be made out of this.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
Mummelmann said:

This is awesome news, not just for the genre and Larian themselves, but for the industry and us gamers. Once again, a small operator showing the big boys how it's done, and that actual work pays off.

Not to downplay what Larian has been able to accomplish, but I wouldn't call them a small operator. 

They have 6 studios and over 450 employees now. They're in line with the likes of Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games.

Absolutely, but they're small fries compared to the studios that have dominated the RPG space for at least a decade now. The fact that they've kept their passion throughout an impressive growth period is an ever better sign. For me, they're the Bioware of the modern era; let's hope they don't take the same path from here on out.

gtotheunit91 said:
JRPGfan said:

I dont think inXile are capable of handling a tittle like BG3.... the quality and polish wont be there.
Obsidian might be able to, but their next two games are differnt genre's (not really crpgs).

I meant more as both studios seeing what CRPG's are capable of when properly made.

I would love to see another Pillars game from Obsidian though or even Tyranny. Maybe after Avowed brings in more players to the world of Eora, more players would be willing to give Pillars a try. 

Torment: Tides of Numenera was okay for sure, but the quality of Wasteland 3 was astounding for inXile. It did need some extra polish for sure, but now that inXile has a budget to grow and work with, I think they are capable now of making another CRPG. Which they might be. They had 2 projects in the works and we only know of one of them now being Clockwork Revolution. 

I'm not saying every game has to be as big as BG3, I just want more CRPG's to be made out of this.

I had it the otherway around..... didn't enjoy wasteland, but rather liked Torment: Tides of Numenera.
Granted I wanted wasteland to be the "successor" to the old Fallout 1 & 2, and was just left disappointed instead.
While Tides of Numenera, wasnt as great as Planescape (for its time), it was still really solid.

But yes, theres def. potential there (for both a new torment, and better wasteland titles).
I wouldn't mind more CRPGs either.

BG3 peaked at ~594,000 today (concurrent players on steam).
Dont think it'll go higher, as alot of europeans are off to bed soon.
Tomorrow or the day after, should be telling of how well its going to do.

I guess I should finish my (first) Baldur's Gate II playthrough at some point, so I can get this... I'm not expecting this to have much in common with the first two games, but I'd still prefer to play the second game first. Then again, I also have Pillars of Eternity to finish (I've been getting back to it a bit lately) and the second one to play, so we'll see which one comes out on top (or if something else, such as Cities: Skylines II, grabs my attention instead). Really glad that it sounds like the game turned out really good though, even if the gameplay is quite different from the first two games.

I'll just tip my toes into this one for now, I just want to check out character creation, and how it compares overall to tabletop version of 5e, since I currently don't have time for such a long game.

Around the Network
gtotheunit91 said:
JRPGfan said:

Obsidian and inXile are now under the same roof. What if they work together?

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

Mnementh said:
gtotheunit91 said:

That would be definitely be the dream. Reuniting the old band back together that made the first 2 Fallout games. 

I would give anything to see Fallout return to an isometric perspective with BG3 level production value. 

It fits like a perfect bow. Owning the Fallout IP and owning the two studios that have all the developers that worked on the original games. 

gtotheunit91 said:
Mnementh said:

That would be definitely be the dream. Reuniting the old band back together that made the first 2 Fallout games. 

I would give anything to see Fallout return to an isometric perspective with BG3 level production value. 

It fits like a perfect bow. Owning the Fallout IP and owning the two studios that have all the developers that worked on the original games. 

The Black Isle/Bioware/Interplay combo back then was really powerful. They made Wasteland, and then the original publisher EA wasn't willing to allow a sequel and sat on the naming rights, they added new ideas and rebranded it as Fallout. They did the original two Baldur's Gate games, as well as Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

It's no Cyberpunk 2077 but I'm finding a lot of bugs in this game. I expected as much but still.

Just a few critics reviews, but all positive. And the user score is Universal Acclaim with over 620 ratings. This is not an easy thing to do.