By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 27, 2023 (Jun 26 - Jul 02)

Astrals said:
Soundwave said:

Square-Enix is already hitting up against their budget limits I think. 

FF16 doesn't look a full generation ahead of FF7 Remake or even FFXV if I'm being honest. It's the first time maybe ever that a mainline FF game on a new hardware generation doesn't look much better than the previous one. 

It kinda looks like Super Mario Galaxy versus Super Mario Sunshine, which was not a full generational leap and even that might be being generous, I honestly think FF7 Remake looks better in some respects. 

So Switch 2 could align well with Square-Enix not being able to go much higher up the graphics ladder at this point. Is Final Fantasy 17 really going to have a monster budget way beyond 16? I doubt it, not with the sales range of the series stagnating, very possibly declining. 

XVI is developed by Creative Unit III which is focused on MMOs, not the usual FF team. Apparently they are using a modified version of XIV engine. That could explain the lack of graphical leap.

FF VII Rebirth is the next main game by the usual team. We can draw a conclusion on that next year.

FFVII Rebirth will essentially be Ragnorok to GOW (2018), don't expect a graphical leap. PS5's hardware will come in handy in allowing that same graphical quality to applied to open world instead of FFVII Remakes linear world, but it's essentially a 2020 UE4 game shifted to UE5. It probably won't be using nanite, and will just clean up the rough corners exhibited in FVII Remake.

Around the Network
Otter said:
Astrals said:

XVI is developed by Creative Unit III which is focused on MMOs, not the usual FF team. Apparently they are using a modified version of XIV engine. That could explain the lack of graphical leap.

FF VII Rebirth is the next main game by the usual team. We can draw a conclusion on that next year.

FFVII Rebirth will essentially be Ragnorok to GOW (2018), don't expect a graphical leap. PS5's hardware will come in handy in allowing that same graphical quality to applied to open world instead of FFVII Remakes linear world, but it's essentially a 2020 UE4 game shifted to UE5. It probably won't be using nanite, and will just clean up the rough corners exhibited in FVII Remake.

I'll be honest there's nothing on the PS5/XBSX or coming to either platform from what I've seen that really makes me go "wow, this is a massive leap over the previous generation". 

For platforms that are about to be 3 years old, that's pretty wild. 

FF7 Rebirth doesn't look much better than FF7 Remake, that's for sure. I have doubts Square-Enix could even afford to make it look a lot better, the budget of the project to take it up several notches in visual fidelity likely just isn't worth it. 

Soundwave said:
Otter said:

I'll be honest there's nothing on the PS5/XBSX or coming to either platform from what I've seen that really makes me go "wow, this is a massive leap over the previous generation". 

FF7 Rebirth doesn't look much better than FF7 Remake, that's for sure. I have doubts Square-Enix could even afford to make it look a lot better, the budget of the project to take it up several notches in visual fidelity likely just isn't worth it. 

Agreed, still waiting to see anything on PS5/Xbox Series that looks like a proper generational leap over the best of PS4/XBO.

FF16 is a pretty game, but nothing about it screams "this could never be done on weaker hardware", especially when it recent years we've seen "miracle" ports like Witcher 3, Dying Light, Bright Memory Infinite, and Doom Eternal for the Switch.

If we assume that Switch 2 will be to the PS5 what Switch 1 was to the PS4, then a port shouldn't be impossible.

Soundwave said:
Otter said:

Yeah, we’re almost 3 years in and most of the big games on PS5/XBX are either cross-gen or updated ports and many of the next-gen exclusives could probably run on previous gen consoles so I find it kind of funny that some people think Switch 2 being in the ballpark of PS4 would be too weak and hold back developers.

Sure, PS5/XBX versions will benefit from things like better resolutions, frame rates, load times, textures, lighting, particle effects, draw distance, etc. but it’s not like Switch 2 versions would be ugly and unplayable messes just like God of War Ragnarok on PS4 or Halo Infinite on XBO aren’t ugly, unplayable messes.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

After a while, there's really not much more in terms of power and graphics that consoles can go.

3 years in and the main PS5 game I'm looking forward to - Spider-Man 2, as awesome as it looks, looks like it could still be a PS4 title.

We've reached the point where any graphical improvements are so miniscule or barely noticeable that you could put Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man PS4 side by side and a casual gamer or random person on the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
From this point on, each new generation of consoles should be more focused on improving the OTHER aspects of the system: loading times, online infrastructure, controller battery life (and system battery life in the Switch's case), storage space, processing, etc.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
IcaroRibeiro said:

Edit: Seems like I lost my replay due to connection issues *sighs* 

By the way, it wasn't a veiled attack, it was a direct attack to you. Poor Soundwave, didn't even think of him 

TLDR version because I'm not typing everything again:

-The sales I've provided are from Sony alone. If you add PC it's  3,5 million as of November 2020. 3,8 lifetime likely against 5 million Rise with all platforms plus Switch is hardly groundbreaking seeing how much better World sold outside. Rest assured next MH will be made with Playstation and PC in mind 

- Nobody is against the game being multiplat, indeed the user to got warning is waiting a PC release. Except maybe some Sony fanatics who don't even play FF anyways 

- Prioritizing Japan won't make FF financially viable. It needs to sells more globally, not in Japan. Just like Monster Hunter

- I don't see any discussions about how to make the game presentation, gameplay and design more appealing to JP or global audiences only the same tiring argument "release on Switch and it will sell better like magic", ignoring the game just don't match JP tastes and a Switch release won't change that 

- PC sales in Japan won't give world 5m in Japan that is wishful thinking on your part as for outside of Japan Switch is likely on par with the PS4 version of world so again your point all in all falls flat especially if your attempt at a counter argument still results in Rise outselling World on two platforms in the region as rest assured Switch successor with still get its own MH in future much like Switch did.

- You and a few others seem to be hence why you're resorting to try and attack others.

- Point to where I said anything about prioritizing Japan oh that's right I never did say anything of the such highlighting my very point that you can't debunk the actual point being made where a suggestion was even given of an Xbox version to offset the decline in the region the whole prioritizing Japan is something of your own creation to utilize as a vehicle to justify you being on tilt and have some veil of having a legitimate argument to hide the fact that your hands are shaking because others have differing views.

- Poor argument games like Zelda have adjusted to appeal to Japan while maintaining appeal to global audiences your assertion that one can't happen with out sacrificing the other is flawed as for the sales part that was the whole point in Soundwave's earlier post about building up a userbase.

1) 5mi was the number you provided for Rise, I stated 3,7-3,8 million for World in Japan (PC+digital) as of 2023, the number was 3,5 in November 2020. Remember Rise is is all platforms (PC, Playstation 4 and 5) and World is not on Switch, so the presence of the game on Switch moved a bit over 1 million

2) Did we even counter any argument about releasing on Xbox or PC day one? Show me where. We only opposed developing a mainline Final Fantasy with Switch 2 in mind. A game like FF heavily benefits from value production, and its perception and marketability are tied to having high-quality models/assets. Hence the development focus should be PC/Playstation. 

3) Most of the posts in this thread suggest recovering Japan should be the priority from Square. It should not. Square needs to get a new market share outside Japan. Japan does not provide enough sales to keep Final Fantasy games budget so high. 

4) This argument always appears magically when discussing Japan's third-party sales decline. It's good that Nintendo somehow did this black magic, but no other developer managed it. Like, literally no one. I've stated Capcom's situation with Resident Evil 2. It became an evergreen title in the west, but bombed in Japan and I don't know what else could they do to recover market share in Japan. Final Fantasy became a story-driven action RPG. It has over 10 hours of cutscenes. It's a game that simply doesn't match Japan's gaming behavior, habits, and tastes. Some genres of games have more cross-appeal compared to others, RPGs aren't that appealing to Japanese people anymore. Take Persona 5, it's a series that was highly acclaimed and became the best-selling Atlus game ever, it's turn-based, very anime-ish, and the setting in modern-day Tokyo, a masterpiece. It was released on all platforms, even on the dead PS3, as has a re-release including a Switch version, PC, Xbox, PS5... Persona 5 still failed to reach 1 million copies in Japan while selling close to 7 million worldwide. 

IcaroRibeiro said:

1) 5mi was the number you provided for Rise, I stated 3,7-3,8 million for World in Japan (PC+digital) as of 2023, the number was 3,5 in November 2020. Remember Rise is is all platforms (PC, Playstation 4 and 5) and World is not on Switch, so the presence of the game on Switch moved a bit over 1 million

This argument is borderline idiotic. Rise only released on Playstation half a year ago and digital only at that. Rise most likely sold 5mil on Switch alone based on having been at 3.7mil right before the PC release, it's high eshop rankings since then and how well the lower priced sku and the Rise + Sunbreak sku sold since then.

I thought it was at 5mil in Japan before 2022 had even ended. I remember on Installbase some people made some great calculations with the stuff I mentioned above which made it look very likely.

Regardless of all that it seems to be very likely that MHR is the best selling Monster Hunter game ever in Japan, whereas MHW is at best the 4th best selling entry being not only behind MHR, but also behind MHP3rd and MH4 and possibly also behind MHX, but I'm not sure about that one.

PAOerfulone said:

After a while, there's really not much more in terms of power and graphics that consoles can go.

3 years in and the main PS5 game I'm looking forward to - Spider-Man 2, as awesome as it looks, looks like it could still be a PS4 title.

We've reached the point where any graphical improvements are so miniscule or barely noticeable that you could put Spider-Man 2 and Spider-Man PS4 side by side and a casual gamer or random person on the street wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
From this point on, each new generation of consoles should be more focused on improving the OTHER aspects of the system: loading times, online infrastructure, controller battery life (and system battery life in the Switch's case), storage space, processing, etc.

Look at the Matrix Awakens and the trailer for Unrecord. Games this generation that'll be a leap over gen 8 games in terms of visuals will come, game development just takes longer now. Improving other aspects should get more focus going forward yeah but we're still at least 10-15 years away from there not being much more to go in terms of graphics.

IcaroRibeiro said:

1-  As someone point out Rise only released recently on non Switch and PC platforms, we know from Capcom's own numbers that Rise sold 8.8m just before the PC release with half the sales being in Japan, this means that Switch alone at that point was around 4.4m in the region to further highlight the liklihood of the Switch version being pass 5m is how all non PC versions only released in January where sales where already around 11.4m.

2- Oh Really in the previous thread when the topic about being multiplatform came up, unlike you this isn't an attack on the user:

"FFXV has sold not much more than 1 million on Xbox. Being multiplatform on console didn't change its overall sales success. XV launched late on PC and XVI will do the same "

My response even to him.

That 1m on Xbox makes up for the 1m they miss out on in Japan, XVI's opening shows the series continues to slide in the region while PC would have given XV another 1 to 2m in sales so again the last entry is only the biggest because of multiplatform releases they helped offset the decline in the region.

The exchange then continued on about an Xbox version you and a few others in this thread have only latched on to Switch as an attempt to undermine the point and justify your conduct, even the original post by someone else had Xbox suggested in it. Do you know what specs Switch 2 will have to oppose such a suggestion? No, a game like FF can even be ported later on down the line after all the are studios who make a living of that which makes this particular attempt at justifying the conduct nonsense after all has The Witcher 3, Doom, Persona 5 etc... suffered on other platforms because the is a Switch version? No.

3- No most of the posts don't say that at all it's again another instance of revising the points put forward to try and justify your conduct, in regards to the argument of someone else suggesting to work on building up a fanbase on another platform is not at all saying prioritize Japan.

4- Difference is Capcom historically have always done better in the west and for decades were considered the most western of all Japanese developers and Atlus were never a massive player in the region until recent times with Sega at the helm, you'll also find P5 has very likely broken 1m link below. SE however are one of the pioneering entities in the region even back when they were two separate companies they're well aware of what appeals to the region, to highlight the absurdity of this part is Persona ironically in which you tried to highlight has shown growth as have other series like Tales and they've done so retaining appeal in the region and increasing appeal elsewhere fact is the problem isn't SE can't appeal to the region they're just not actively trying this is why in the prior thread I put forward the prospect of an Xbox and PC version being the norm as well to make up for it.

Persona Series Sales

Norion said:
PAOerfulone said:

Look at the Matrix Awakens and the trailer for Unrecord. Games this generation that'll be a leap over gen 8 games in terms of visuals will come, game development just takes longer now. Improving other aspects should get more focus going forward yeah but we're still at least 10-15 years away from there not being much more to go in terms of graphics.

Matrix Awakens is also a DEMO and not a full game for a reason but even that, once the "game" part of the demo (and not the scripted/fixed camera angle scenes) starts ... I mean it looks like a fairly normal video game. 

The fact is not many devs want to or even can afford to make a full game that looks like that.