By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros Wonder announced; all new 2D Mario (Update: Out now!)

Top 10 selling 2D Mario platformers

1. Super Mario Bros. - 40.24 million
2. New Super Mario Bros. - 30.80 million
3. New Super Mario Bros. Wii - 30.32 million
4. Super Mario World - 20.61 million
5. Super Mario Land - 18.14 million
6. Super Mario Bros. 3 - 17.28 million
7. New Super Mario Bros. U DX - 15.41 million
8. New Super Mario Bros. 2 - 13.41 million
9. Super Mario Land 2 - 11.18 million
10. Super Mario All-Stars - 10.55 million

Where will Super Mario Bros. Wonder place?

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 23 June 2023

Around the Network

NSMB Wii
NSMB U
Super Mario 3D World

All those games were pretty challenging. Mario games aren't automatically easy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

NSMB Wii
NSMB U
Super Mario 3D World

Interesting, 3D world is easy to me, ok maybe not EASY, but not challenging at all 

But NSMB is botherline unplayable 

I wonder if growing up with 3D controllers has anything to do with it

Switch has become my favorite system of all time. Yes, even ahead of previous favorites like the SNES, PS1, PS2, and Gamecube. It's been a RPG paradise.

Looking forward to Super Mario Wonder, especially after how good Odyssey was. That was the best-selling 3-D Mario of all time. Looks like they're going for that, only in 2-D.

Signalstar said:

NSMB Wii
NSMB U
Super Mario 3D World

3D World was a cakewalk up until the extra worlds. Those were pretty challenging, I'll give you that (the final level was a nightmare using anyone that wasn't Peach).

Around the Network
haxxiy said:

3D Marios were designed so you die less (all the way back to Mario 64, which introduced a life bar and auto-completes jumps) but that doesn't mean 3D games are inherently easier. In fact, I think that makes a case for the opposite because the developers knew players would fail a lot. The recent Yoshi and Kirby games, the franchises aimed at really young audiences with very easy games, were all 2D bar the Forgotten Land.

Since gimmicks tend to mean shallow gameplay mechanics that aren't repeated again in the game, they usually indicate easy. I just hope Mario hasn't been too Kirby- or Yoshi-fied. But who knows, maybe this will be a real challenge despite all the changing mechanics, like a DKCR game.

All this sounds like you are bending definitions to make them fit your argument, in particular the slight that games are designed for young audiences.

When you call DKCR (and presumably its sequel Tropical Freeze) real challenges, then there isn't a significant difference between them and all the other 2D games mentioned. The games don't get difficult until the postgame content. Even for Forgotten Land that's true where things culminate with a coliseum boss battle series. There's some variation in just how difficult things get in any of the games, but the conclusion that the games were made for kids doesn't hold water.

As for 3D Mario games aside from 3D Land and 3D World which are different (also more difficult, hence why especially the latter got hate from the hardcore 3D Mario fans, including the complaint about time limits), the inclusion of life bars and the like doesn't change anything about the significantly reduced amount of instant death hazards and the fact that the vast majority of enemies can be conveniently ignored by simply walking around them.

Lastly, it should actually be obvious that 2D Mario games are made for a broader age bracket than 3D Mario games, hence why they sell better. The common belief on the internet may be that 3D Mario is grown-up Mario, but there just aren't reasonable arguments to make that case.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV will outsell Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I was wrong.

So far I've yet to see anybody do a mashup of Elephant Mario with the Pink Elephants from Dumbo. The game even references that song with a level named in the trailer as "Piranha Plants on Parade". XD

For all of you saying 3D World was easy did you try playing it through online co-op with NSO's terrible lag? Game sent me and my buddy into spiraling rage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

Signalstar said:

For all of you saying 3D World was easy did you try playing it through online co-op with NSO's terrible lag? Game sent me and my buddy into spiraling rage.

You just summed up why I prefer local multiplayer, AND made me wanna watch Angry Video Game Nerd. XD

I'm one of those weirdos who really, REALLY loved New Super Mario Bros. U so this makes me mega happy. Looks like a natural progression of that game but actually unique and original instead of the same aesthetics over and over.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android