By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Super Mario Bros Wonder announced; all new 2D Mario (Update: Out now!)

Goddamn I love this game.
It's just so packed with joyous energy and creative ideas, I have a big silly smile on my face the whole time.
In a year packed with great games, this one still shines as something really special.

Around the Network

Made it to World 3 and so far a lot of nice variety and different level of challenge.

The badge system makes this game very enjoyable - moreso than the other 2D Marios.

Nothing where you can get stuck and not continue and nothing too easy for those who want a challenge.

Loving it.

Enjoying it so far, had some moments that took me back to the Super Mario World on SNES days which I thought was absolutely brilliant.

It's basically a fairly solid 1080P/60fps output in docked mode with a little downwards scaling in the overworld... But the presentation is extremely clean and looks great on my 85" OLED.
I wish more Switch games presented like this... With clever use of simple, but effective material shaders, depth-of-field and so forth. A-la. Links Awakening remake.

It's not super-sharp and clean like a Series X or Playstation 5 title, but it also doesn't need to be... I notice very little pixel crawl which I personally think is an achievement in itself, considering the hardware it's on.

Now I know many people hated on New Super Mario Bro's WiiU... But I think those games have their place as well.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Having such a great time with this game! I've been playing with my husband (who doesn't care about getting all 3 big purples coins and even finding every Wonder Flower but it's so fun to discover the game together and all the crazy things that can happen. We just finished World 2.

I also have a separate solo file where I do get all the coins, wonder seeds and secret exit and I've just found the Special World on that file. I think I'll try to keep my solo save file behind my co-op file because the experience of discovering the game together is truly extraordinary.

Signature goes here!

This is going to be the first 2D Mario game since Super Mario World to be a GOTY contender and probably even top at least a few lists.
I'm only on W2, but the game is oozing with fun and charm.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 156 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million, then 151 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 48 million (was 60 million, then 67 million, then 57 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima

Around the Network
Wman1996 said:

This is going to be the first 2D Mario game since Super Mario World to be a GOTY contender and probably even top at least a few lists.

That's another thing, usually World 1 in Mario games is kinda boring because it's plain and easy, but in this game it's amazing from the get-go.

Signature goes here!

Alright, so who had their 'clincher' moment the Piranha Plant Parade? Y'all know exactly what I'm talking about.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Runa216 said:

Alright, so who had their 'clincher' moment the Piranha Plant Parade? Y'all know exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm surprised how early they pulled off that card honestly. Definitely makes a great impression right at the start.

My moment was on Rolla Koopa Derby personally. It was straight up magical

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

TruckOSaurus said:
Wman1996 said:

That's another thing, usually World 1 in Mario games is kinda boring because it's plain and easy, but in this game it's amazing from the get-go.

Too easy first world for me. Cool and all but too easy to get much out of the first world. Starting to get better after World 1 though. Hoping the difficulty keeps cranking up. So far for me the game is cool but it needs to up the challenge the rest of the game for it to turn into something special. Hoping its a Mario+Rabbids situation where the first world showed the game was cool but was wayyy too easy to get much out of it, but then the difficulty kept ramping up rest of the game and the second half of the game was amazing. If Wonder can be like that I'll be happy enough with the game. Right now I'm liking the game a tiny bit more with each passing level. If I remember correctly 3D world was like that too, I wasn't that impressed by 3D World a couple hours in but by the end of the game it was maybe my favorite 2D-style Mario ever, right up there with SMW and SMB3.

But even so far just a bit into Wonder the changes and new things and vibrancy of the game already makes it better than NSMBUD. This is the game they should have launched the WiiU with over a decade ago haha. Crazy we had to wait so long to get a creative new 2D Mario game.

Slownenberg said:

Too easy first world for me. Cool and all but too easy to get much out of the first world. Starting to get better after World 1 though. Hoping the difficulty keeps cranking up. So far for me the game is cool but it needs to up the challenge the rest of the game for it to turn into something special. Hoping its a Mario+Rabbids situation where the first world showed the game was cool but was wayyy too easy to get much out of it, but then the difficulty kept ramping up rest of the game and the second half of the game was amazing. If Wonder can be like that I'll be happy enough with the game. Right now I'm liking the game a tiny bit more with each passing level. If I remember correctly 3D world was like that too, I wasn't that impressed by 3D World a couple hours in but by the end of the game it was maybe my favorite 2D-style Mario ever, right up there with SMW and SMB3.

But even so far just a bit into Wonder the changes and new things and vibrancy of the game already makes it better than NSMBUD. This is the game they should have launched the WiiU with over a decade ago haha. Crazy we had to wait so long to get a creative new 2D Mario game.

It does get harder, which is why my wife and I are not jumping to keep playing :/ It started off relaxing and wonderful, later we got levels that don't work very well with 2 people. If you're not the leader you will likely get dragged into death or off screen and can only follow as a ghost. Plus there are timers that run out if you keep waiting for each other to time jumps and runs. It would be better if it had dynamic split screen like the Lego games.

I don't want to go ahead on my own save (and just make it worse for my wife by feeling like she's holding me back) so I'm playing Spider-man 2 instead. We enjoyed NSMBU a lot, it was the perfect difficulty for us with some extra challenge levels (which we never managed to finish but the rest of the game was great) We'll certainly continue with Wonder, but only when we're both feeling 100%, otherwise it will likely end in frustration instead of wonder.

Not sure if anything can solve this problem of some people wanting more challenge, others just want to be able to keep playing :p Perhaps a slow down option for us older people lol, like running NTSC games on PAL in the past... And in reverse a speed up option for added challenge. Extra/fewer enemies/platforms, smaller/larger platforms, shorter/longer timers, new game+. So much could be done to extend the game play time.