By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Gyro and portability matter more than 60fps to some folks too.

No offense dude but you seem to have a problem handling people disagreeing with you. Whenever anyone expresses an opinion contrary to yours, you always start an argument with them, even going so far as to tell others what they should think, like trying to tell me I'd rate Doom a 10 on PS4. You even started a whole thread on top of this one when you found a poll that fitted your opinion.

You need to relax and realize that some people just don't see things your way.

I honestly don't know what you talking about now. you are bringing in  gyro and portability we were talking how certain genres get really effected by 30fps but to you apparently it doesn't matter. platformers, fps, racers, and fighting games are not a big downgrade to you at 30fps thats the end of the debate.      

I wasn't even the one who said it didn't matter, but sure, willing to move on if you are.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I honestly don't know what you talking about now. you are bringing in  gyro and portability we were talking how certain genres get really effected by 30fps but to you apparently it doesn't matter. platformers, fps, racers, and fighting games are not a big downgrade to you at 30fps thats the end of the debate.      

I wasn't even the one who said it didn't matter, but sure, willing to move on if you are.

This is a topic about 30fps vs 60fps not the switch or gyro. do you think doom would play much better at 60fps vs 30fps on a ps4?

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

This is a topic about 30fps vs 60fps not the switch or gyro. do you think doom would play much better at 60fps vs 30fps on a ps4?

To me the difference is secondary to other factors. 

zeldaring said:
Shaunodon said:

Doom is a 10/10 game on most platforms. It's somewhat cut back on Switch but still very enjoyable, and also portable.

What exactly is the problem here? Are people only allowed to enjoy things your way?

Where did I say that? I said its a downgrade to the gameplay experience in certain genres where 60fps has basically become mandatory 

But why is it mandatory? if the game is built a certain way you don't loose any competitive advantage no matter what the genre is on a console as everyone has the same limitations.

30fps isn't as bad as people make it out to be. 60fps is a nice to have but if the game is built well 30fps is acceptable. Try playing a FPS on dialup with 400-800ms lag, that buy far is worst than 30fps.

This debate reminds me of when people argue about controllers on consoles. If you have half a brain you can adjust and learn them all and they all are fine for their respective consoles.

Spindel said:
zeldaring said:

Those genres don't even run 30fps anymore that  should give you a clue of how it important it is for gameplay . Unless they are being down ported to switch. I mean everyone here has stated how important it is. So you don't care thanks for sharing your opinion.

It doesn’t matter.

You can have a personal preference but it objectively does matter when there are people who can't play certain games at 30fps without it making them feel sick. That's not even getting into how the genres he mentioned don't work well at 30 above a casual level. Competitive players chase high FPS for a reason.

Last edited by Norion - on 13 June 2023

Around the Network
Norion said:
Spindel said:

It doesn’t matter.

You can have a personal preference but it objectively does matter when there are people who can't play certain games at 30fps without it making them feel sick. That's not even getting how the genres he mentioned don't work well at 30 above a casual level. Competitive players chase high FPS for a reason.

We are talking console though, everyone has the same competitive advantage, therefore they are chasing nothing.

The biggest factors will be your TV lag and internet lag in competitive advantage for a console.

PC sure people chase higher FPS and refresh rates as it helps, however a professional skilled player can still easily beat people playing at 60fps/60hz vs a casual playing at 240fps/240hz. Pro gamers adapt to the environment they are given.

Norion said:
Spindel said:

It doesn’t matter.

You can have a personal preference but it objectively does matter when there are people who can't play certain games at 30fps without it making them feel sick. That's not even getting how the genres he mentioned don't work well at 30 above a casual level. Competitive players chase high FPS for a reason.

This is good point. One of my family members easily gets motion sickness while playing FPS's. A lot I guess is due to the extremely narrow FOV from most FPS games - at least older ones. Another contributing factor may be higher sensitivity to input lag to movement(s). Where the image displayed is simply too far apart from what you are expecting. Its a bit like using VR with low frames. The rapid movements and motion in conjunction with delayed input/output is bound to cause motion sickness from most people.

I finished and loved Dragon Age Origins on PS3 and it ran like dogshit. I had many fights to enter single-digit FPS. I'll likely never replay it for that reason but funny enough it was easier to take than playing Bloodborne on PS4. The frame pacing in BB was so bad I was getting an actual headache. I quit BB after like 20 min and never went back.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Cobretti2 said:
Norion said:

We are talking console though, everyone has the same competitive advantage, therefore they are chasing nothing.

The biggest factors will be your TV lag and internet lag in competitive advantage for a console.

PC sure people chase higher FPS and refresh rates as it helps, however a professional skilled player can still easily beat people playing at 60fps/60hz vs a casual playing at 240fps/240hz. Pro gamers adapt to the environment they are given.

It still applies to console. All fighting games are 60 even on console for example since if one was locked to 30 it would be DOA, games in that genre being 60 instead of 30 is so important that it's basically mandatory. And you're right about the adapting part, I was just saying that to show another reason why it objectively matters.

hinch said:
Norion said:

This is good point. One of my family members easily gets motion sickness while playing FPS's. A lot I guess is due to the extremely narrow FOV from most FPS games - at least older ones. Another contributing factor may be higher sensitivity to input lag to movement(s). Where the image displayed is simply too far apart from what you are expecting. Its a bit like using VR with low frames. The rapid movements and motion in conjunction with delayed input/output is bound to cause motion sickness from most people.

FOV is another big deal for first person games. Even when just looking at low FOV footage it can feel a bit yucky to me so there's no way I could play something like an FPS that way. I stick to at least 100.

Norion said:
Cobretti2 said:

It still applies to console. All fighting games are 60 even on console for example since if one was locked to 30 it would be DOA, games in that genre being 60 instead of 30 is so important that it's basically mandatory. And you're right about the adapting part, I was just saying that to show another reason why it objectively matters.

hinch said:

FOV is another big deal for first person games. Even when just looking at low FOV footage it can feel a bit yucky to me so there's no way I could play something like an FPS that way. I stick to at least 100.

If there’s one thing that even remotley risks giving you motionsickness it’s high FOV.

BTW used to play original Quake at FOV 120 and until you got used to it it was really wierd