By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89

Some people in this thread should go play some old games :)

Stunt Car Racer on Amiga 500 comes to mind as an example.

Around the Network
Spindel said:

Some people in this thread should go play some old games :)

Stunt Car Racer on Amiga 500 comes to mind as an example.

Funny enough playing super street fighter 2 turbo for 400 hours on fightcade made me really notice how bad 30fps is.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

There are plenty of racing/FPS/action games out there that are 30fps. 

We get it, you think 30fps in unplayable, but you don't need to react like it's an insult when someone says that it's fine to them.

I never reacted like its a insult I said its a big down grade in those genres and one poster kept on repeating it doesn't matter. If you thought doom was a very enjoyable on Switch then running at unstable 30fps then you would have rated a 10 on ps4 lol.

Doom is a 10/10 game on most platforms. It's somewhat cut back on Switch but still very enjoyable, and also portable.

What exactly is the problem here? Are people only allowed to enjoy things your way?

Shaunodon said:
zeldaring said:

I never reacted like its a insult I said its a big down grade in those genres and one poster kept on repeating it doesn't matter. If you thought doom was a very enjoyable on Switch then running at unstable 30fps then you would have rated a 10 on ps4 lol.

Doom is a 10/10 game on most platforms. It's somewhat cut back on Switch but still very enjoyable, and also portable.

What exactly is the problem here? Are people only allowed to enjoy things your way?

Where did I say that? I said its a downgrade to the gameplay experience in certain genres where 60fps has basically become mandatory 

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

There are plenty of racing/FPS/action games out there that are 30fps. 

We get it, you think 30fps in unplayable, but you don't need to react like it's an insult when someone says that it's fine to them.

I rate games on their core gameplay moreso than their performance. Unless the performance is really terrible and significantly reduces the fun factor of course, but I did not find that to be the case with Doom.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

I rate games on their core gameplay moreso than their performance. Unless the performance is really terrible and significantly reduces the fun factor of course, but I did not find that to be the case with Doom.

Really depends on the hardware you own. if doom released as it was on switch on PS4 it would be rated a 5, different hardware = different standards.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

Really depends on the hardware you own. if doom released as it was on switch on PS4 it would be rated a 5, different hardware = different standards.

That goes both ways though; a dedicated console obviously has higher graphical standards, but if you prefer portability to motion controls the Switch version might be preferable. I personally wouldn't want to play a game like Sniper Elite or Monster Hunter without gyroscopic aiming, for me it matters more than graphics.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

That goes both ways though; a dedicated console obviously has higher graphical standards, but if you prefer portability to motion controls the Switch version might be preferable. I personally wouldn't want to play a game like Sniper Elite or Monster Hunter without gyroscopic aiming, for me it matters more than graphics.

I'm not even talking about graphics. its a game about fast paced shooting with a unstable frame rate as ps4 pro owner it would be wanna of the worst playing games PS4 AAA FPS, when you get used smooth 60fps.

zeldaring said:
curl-6 said:

I'm not even talking about graphics. its a game about fast paced shooting with a unstable frame rate as ps4 pro owner it would be wanna of the worst playing games PS4 AAA FPS, when you get used smooth 60fps.

Gyro and portability matter more than 60fps to some folks too.

No offense dude but you seem to have a problem handling people disagreeing with you. Whenever anyone expresses an opinion contrary to yours, you always start an argument with them, even going so far as to tell others what they should think, like trying to tell me I'd rate Doom a 10 on PS4. You even started a whole thread on top of this one when you found a poll that fitted your opinion.

You need to relax and realize that some people just don't see things your way.

curl-6 said:
zeldaring said:

Gyro and portability matter more than 60fps to some folks too.

No offense dude but you seem to have a problem handling people disagreeing with you. Whenever anyone expresses an opinion contrary to yours, you always start an argument with them, even going so far as to tell others what they should think, like trying to tell me I'd rate Doom a 10 on PS4. You even started a whole thread on top of this one when you found a poll that fitted your opinion.

You need to relax and realize that some people just don't see things your way.

I honestly don't know what you're talking about now. you are bringing up  gyro and portability we were talking how certain genres get really effected by 30fps but to you apparently it doesn't matter. platformers, fps, racers, and fighting games are not a big downgrade to you at 30fps thats the end of the debate.      

Last edited by zeldaring - on 13 June 2023