By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Console players. A question on preference.

Visual fidelity or framerate

I prefer higher framerates 46 51.69%

I prefer better visuals 19 21.35%

Either way. I'm not picky 24 26.97%

Total:89
Pemalite said:
zeldaring said:

Aside from competitive, 30fps just feels much worse to play. Playing a 2d platformer at 30fps feels like you are in slow motion and that applies to many games where 60fps has become mandatory. COD, sim racer, 2d platformers, sports games, and fighters would all be DOA at 30fps. COD at 30fps would have never been the franchise it is today at 30fps. it being 60fps made it blow away the competition in smoothness and responsiveness while most FPS in that generation were 30fps.

1) Platformers tend to require extremely precise timing, ergo they benefit from higher frame rates.
Lower frame rates isn't "lower motion". - You still cover the same amount of area in the same amount of time.

2) COD is a twitch shooter and requires high frame rates due to the need for precision.

3) Sim Racers tend to require precise movements, hence the need for 60fps.

The thing about framerates though, is that it's just an arbitrary number, you can have games which "handle" extremely poorly at 60fps due to high input lag, frame pacing issues and more.

And more often than not, many 60fps games aren't true 60fps games. - Many assets, animations, models will update at a much lower framerate... This was hilariously evident in Pokemon Violet/Scarlet where Windmills were updating at 2fps verses the 30fps output.

Or even Halo 5 where many character animations would update at 5-10fps verses the 60fps output... It looks cheap and janky.

Some games simply benefit from a 60fps output over other games, it all comes down to how the game is designed, how it handles and what goals the developers are trying to achieve.
It's not the end of the world.

Agreed.I was talking about the games designs that Greatly benefit from it being  60fps. I can play 30fps games I don't like thr blur while moving and it's annoying but I can deal with it..

Around the Network

Most mentions 60 fps as a benefit in game play. My main issue with lower frame rates is how it looks, which is kinda strange since I do not value high graphics as much as game play generally.

Some might say that I destroyed my sense of vision by mostly looking at a screen with higher frame rates that fill in and guesses frames between frames in content with lower frame rate. But I just can't stand the jagger or stuttering I experience watching content with lower frame rates. When gaming such tech is turned off in game mode to avoid input lag so they are not used and therefore the game needs to stream higher fps directly to the TV.

The lower frames is one of the reasons I pretty much stopped going to the cinema to watch movies. The bad black-levels is another reason. The viewing experience is just much better for me at home. At least some movies like the hobbit films and Avatar movies uses higher frame rates and to me they look stunning. Sadly many of them is lacking in script but I'm way off topic already.

Last edited by Pajderman - on 14 June 2023

Chrkeller said:

30 fps certainly is playable and acceptable. But 60 fps locked sure is nice.

Did you notice something is off about the roll in elden ring its like they artificially increased the difficulty by making roll delayed input.  

Pajderman said:

Most mentions 60 fps as a benefit in game play. My main issue with lower frame rates is how it looks, which is kinda strange since I do not value high graphics as much as game play generally.

Some might say that I destroyed my sense of vision by mostly looking at a screen with higher frame rates that fill in and guesses frames between frames in content with lower frame rate. But I just can't stand the jagger or stuttering I experience watching content with lower frame rates. When gaming such tech is turned off in game mode to avoid input lag so they are not used and therefore the game needs to stream higher fps directly to the TV.

The lower frames is one of the reasons I pretty much stopped going to the cinema to watch movies. The bad black-levels is another reason. The viewing experience is just much better for me at home. At least some movies like the hobbit films and Avatar movies uses higher frame rates and to me they look stunning. Sadly many of them is lacking in script but I'm way off topic already.

Yer you definitely fucked your brain if it's impacted your movie viewing experience that much.

Every time I get a new TV I turn all that shit off relating to higher motion, so that you get the cinematic experience not the I am in the room with them experience, or for those aussies on the site the home and away experience (just looks like a cheap TV show). The only time I turn it all on is when watching sport.

zeldaring said:

Chrkeller said:

Did you notice something is off about the roll in elden ring its like they artificially increased the difficulty by making roll delayed input.  

Don't the three Dark Souls also have delayed inputs and worse, a massive input buffer? So you are committed to your dumb actions half a second or more after you press the button.

Miyazaki can be such a troll sometimes.

Around the Network

Another reason I detest Souls combat and avoid those games. You can't cancel attacks.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

haxxiy said:
zeldaring said:

Don't the three Dark Souls also have delayed inputs and worse, a massive input buffer? So you are committed to your dumb actions half a second or more after you press the button.

Miyazaki can be such a troll sometimes.

Never been a huge dark souls fan because of this. The combat just feels so slow compared to sikero or bloodborne. sikero is really the best combat system they ever made and imo the best combat ever in a game, but i'm loving the way the new armored core looks. loving elden ring because of the exploration has been amazing so far but it's not gonna top sikero or bloodborne for me because of slow the combat feels thanks to input lag and roll. the input lag is done on purpose it seems.

This is my type of game right looks so sick and pure action.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 14 June 2023

ACVI coming out in August and Daemon X Machina 2 announced plus an English version of Megaton Musashi is coming over. Mecha fans eating good within the next year or so. Not even counting all the Gundam and 2D mecha games I played the last few years on Switch and PS4/5.

Last edited by Leynos - on 14 June 2023

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Leynos said:

Another reason I detest Souls combat and avoid those games. You can't cancel attacks.

Lol just had that in TotK. I start my boulder hammer swing, then notice the game sneakily hid a bomb barrel behind them, still in reach of the slow wide swing. Can't cancel, can't back up, instant death 2 seconds later. I'm the unbalanced force in Newton's first law, let me cancel my attack!

zeldaring said:
Chrkeller said:

30 fps certainly is playable and acceptable. But 60 fps locked sure is nice.

I can't say I noticed it.  I was playing on the ps5, not sure if that has something to do with it.  I found Elden easy compared to the other souls games.  Except towards end game.

Personally I never found souls as hard as people make them out to be.  The invincibility frames are powerful, just need to understand the system.  Like roll past attacks and not away.  Stay close to where the bosses weapon is.  Souls is all about being aggressive.