By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Project Q - Destined to fail?

What do you think will happen to Project Q?

It will be a success 1 1.69%

It will do well 11 18.64%

Not sure 11 18.64%

It will fail 28 47.46%

This is the worst idea ever 8 13.56%

Total:59
Otter said:

It seems there is definite interest in the device, with the proof of concept sold I really hope Sony builds the PS5 pro/PS6 with direct streaming in mind so Everyone can have a reliable experience at home ala Wii U. And allow it to function as a controller...

And include streaming capability so it is "fully independent" as we know a real standalone device with capability to play PS5 games would be very hard to happen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

If internet was faster in the US then I think Project Q would have a better chance at suceeding.

BiON!@ 

Honestly it sounds pretty pointless.

hellobion2 said:

If internet was faster in the US then I think Project Q would have a better chance at suceeding.

Every (reasonably populated area) that I've been in the US in the last few years has lightning fast internet service available at a reasonable price.  But, good game streaming doesn't need super fast service.  I stream on XCloud nearly flawlessly, regularly with 200mbps service.  

So has PS Portal been doing well?

Around the Network
KLAMarine said:

So has PS Portal been doing well?

It's sold out, so yes. Ultimately its just a peripheral, so i think a lot of the doom and gloom was people misunderstanding thats its intended to be a niche device 

The PS Portal group I’m in on FB had about 2k members when I entered a few weeks ago. Now is at 20k members and going strong.

It seems that at most countries, the peripheral is doing quite well. There are more people realising that the thing is capable of being used with a different network than the PS5 is connected to

kazuyamishima said:

The PS Portal group I’m in on FB had about 2k members when I entered a few weeks ago. Now is at 20k members and going strong.

It seems that at most countries, the peripheral is doing quite well. There are more people realising that the thing is capable of being used with a different network than the PS5 is connected to

that's great to hear!

I actually look forward to a 2nd gen version with hopefully better battery life and cloud streaming functionality, the latter of which would probably be the sole reason I'd want one. 

I got one and it's nice but I'll be returning it. Steam Deck can do the same thing and then some. If I didn't have the deck already then yea I'd probably stick with the portal.

hellobion2 said:

The device is bitrate limited to around 7Mbps.

So it wouldn't make a difference even if you had 1Gbps internet.

https://wccftech.com/playstation-portal-issues-bitrate-limitations/

It also runs off your Home wifi... I don't know about yours but mine benchmarks at around 5,400Mbps.
It's not even a blip on my bandwidth usage tracker.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--