By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Project Q - Destined to fail?

What do you think will happen to Project Q?

It will be a success 1 1.69%

It will do well 11 18.64%

Not sure 11 18.64%

It will fail 28 47.46%

This is the worst idea ever 8 13.56%

Total:59
twintail said:
Pemalite said:

Xenoblade X is a WiiU title. You can't "dock" the console and keep gaming.

But you *can* plug a power cable into the tablet, but that defeats the purpose.

oh the wiiU title? My mistake.

Still.. I've seen ppl charge their handhelds/ phones and still use them. Can just do the same with the Q I assume if you really needed extra battery life. But yes, it needs more than 4. 

Or just buy the Playstation 5 Backbone controller and enjoy 8+ hours with a smartphone.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Any handheld that needs an internet connection to function is destined to fail, and since this seems to be a streaming box connected to your actual PS5, I don't see this working at all. Then again, I imagine they are setting very low expectations for this, so I can see it as a very niche product. Beyond that, no, it won't work.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Pemalite said:
twintail said:

oh the wiiU title? My mistake.

Still.. I've seen ppl charge their handhelds/ phones and still use them. Can just do the same with the Q I assume if you really needed extra battery life. But yes, it needs more than 4. 

Or just buy the Playstation 5 Backbone controller and enjoy 8+ hours with a smartphone.

I dunno. Like yes, that is a viable alternative. But not everyone wants to go through the hassle of having their phone strapped to a controller, and playing a game while also trying to message other ppl at the same time. 

At the end of the day, you're gonna need to charge that phone too. And, unless you're in an ideal situation, you're not gonna have the capacity to stream for 8+ hours.

Personally I think Sony should have went to route of Valve/Asus and released their own Steam Deck competitor with playstation goodies than release this project Q thing that's tied to the PS5. The issue with Q is that remote play is available not only on phones and tablets but on laptops and PCs. So if you have a laptop or macbook that isn't very powerful, you can still use remote play on it and have a much bigger screen to play with.

So it really limits the usefulness of Q because if all your devices can already do remoteplay, then do you really need another device that can do remoteplay? Where as a steam deck competitor, they could do a number of things with it. Playstation could have their own store front on PC where they could give you exclusive deals or tie in PS+ somehow. And they wouldn't necessarily be losing money on hardware either considering a company like Asus can make one without needing money from games.

The other question is the price. There are other streaming handles out there like the Logitech G cloud that can not only stream Remote Play from a PS5 but also Xcloud, Geforce Now, etc. So Q would need to be cheaper than that imo.

It just feels like Q is a waste of resources than anything else tbh.

Last edited by Jizz_Beard_thePirate - on 27 May 2023

PC Specs: CPU: 7800X3D || GPU: Strix 4090 || RAM: 32GB DDR5 6000 || Main SSD: WD 2TB SN850

twintail said:
Leynos said:

I put 800 hours into Xenoblade X and it was annoying as shit to have to dock the fucking controller so often to charge, open world games like that I want to put in 5-8 hours per session. I got more out of that with my Vita and PSP. PSP still plays longer than that.

You can only charge the Switch through the dock?

I'm not sure the device is designed for those who want to almost exclusively play away from their PS5, but yeah I get it: if that is what you'd want from it then the battery life seems a bit on the low side. Granted, the battery is taking into account the DualSense functionality, too. 

Xenoblade X is only on Wii U and you need the gamepad for in game mechanics.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network

I think if Sony was going to go all-out with this idea of something dedicated to doing this, I would have expected a better end result than what we got. Seriously, it looks exactly like someone Zelda-fused two parts of a Dual Sense and a tablet screen together. I'm sorry, but why is Sony's hardware this gen so UGLY!?

Like others have said, this is going to have to be priced high enough to see gains for Sony and if the battery life is as bad as mentioned earlier then that makes it even worse. Don't see it having much appeal; I see more people who want the handheld home experience using remote play with the devices they already have, or just playing their Switch on the couch instead.

Would have been nice if they actually gave it a name. The letter Q certainly is problematic in this day and age. Not sure how aware they are of this fact.

The only way I see Project Q being considered a failure is if it ends up losing a ton of money for Sony. It feels to me like a niche product with a small audience but priced at a premium. At worst, I can see this being a slightly profitable accessory.  

I dont get it, but then again I really didnt get the point of the Switch Lite either...

I did vote fail, but I don't think it's going to be a massive failure.
Sony's not expecting this to sell much, I would think. If they can sell a million or two of them and break even, it probably will succeed or at least be in that small gray area between failure and success.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima