By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Project Q - Destined to fail?

What do you think will happen to Project Q?

It will be a success 1 1.69%

It will do well 11 18.64%

Not sure 11 18.64%

It will fail 28 47.46%

This is the worst idea ever 8 13.56%

Total:59

I just saw it has a 3-4 hour battery life on a STREAMING device. What a piece of shit

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Around the Network
Leynos said:

I just saw it has a 3-4 hour battery life on a STREAMING device. What a piece of shit

When was the last time you streamed a game for more than 4 hours over the course of a single day?

twintail said:
Leynos said:

When was the last time you streamed a game for more than 4 hours over the course of a single day?

I put 800 hours into Xenoblade X and it was annoying as shit to have to dock the fucking controller so often to charge, open world games like that I want to put in 5-8 hours per session. I got more out of that with my Vita and PSP. PSP still plays longer than that.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

Honestly it just seems like part of a wide net cast. If you have a smartphone you can do the same thing for less. If you have a tablet, you can use that. ETC. Basically this product looks like a filler for people who want something larger than their phone but less than a tablet with built in controllers. Will it be a huge success like an actual handheld product? Not even remotely likely.

Is it even costly to try something like this even if it flops? Part of the cost might have come from the other product they recently announced. They aren't likely to make many of them unless it takes off.

Not that I like this kind of product. Just thinking out loud.

A warrior keeps death on the mind from the moment of their first breath to the moment of their last.

Leynos said:
twintail said:

I put 800 hours into Xenoblade X and it was annoying as shit to have to dock the fucking controller so often to charge, open world games like that I want to put in 5-8 hours per session. I got more out of that with my Vita and PSP. PSP still plays longer than that.

You can only charge the Switch through the dock?

I'm not sure the device is designed for those who want to almost exclusively play away from their PS5, but yeah I get it: if that is what you'd want from it then the battery life seems a bit on the low side. Granted, the battery is taking into account the DualSense functionality, too. 

Around the Network

It’s a low risk way of keeping some players who would otherwise move to Steam Deck or Switch 2. I think they expect it to sell around 5 million.

Success will depend ok how they will market it. They launched the PSTV with similar function with little advertissment, and despite being a fantastic product, it was heavily discounted and then abandonned.

And no, it's not similar as remote play, if anything, it's slighlty better, cause the best case scenario for remote play on the phone is this:

And I don't wanna say it sucks but it tries to remove all the air if a defined space between two objects.

mjk45 said:

In the case of the Q your using your WIFI to stream your installed  PS5 games to the device and its up to 1080P 60fps which should look alright considering the screen size so while you are correct in that it is a niche product, there are differences between products that target the mainstream and need large numbers to succeed and those that are  targeted at a specific segment of the audience like the Q.

Depends on how much compression they use and the accompanying macro-blocking or colour squash.

twintail said:

A dedicated remote play (and most likely future cloud device) is more appealing to some ppl than just using their phone. 

You're either going to need a controller that doesn't have dualsense functionality to clip your phone to, or a flimsy controller clip.

Market for this is niche, I think everyone involved in this project knows that. 

I mean we already have the "backbone" Playstation 5 controller for remote play that you drop your phone into...

I assume Sony has assessed the rate of sales of that peripheral and must have determined it was successful enough to warrant releasing the Project Q.

The project Q does have ONE potential big downside. - Compatibility... As remote play via iOS/Android/Windows still enables access to those entire platforms game library and streaming services.

Leynos said:

My WiiU Gamepad has about 4 hours worth of battery life.

5 hours in Zelda with my Switch OLED. (But that lives docked permanently.)

It's not enough.

If it's a "dumb display" like this is, then I would hope for something closer to 8 hours, but more is better.

twintail said:

I'm not sure the device is designed for those who want to almost exclusively play away from their PS5, but yeah I get it: if that is what you'd want from it then the battery life seems a bit on the low side. Granted, the battery is taking into account the DualSense functionality, too. 

Xenoblade X is a WiiU title. You can't "dock" the console and keep gaming.

But you *can* plug a power cable into the tablet, but that defeats the purpose.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

twintail said:

Xenoblade X is a WiiU title. You can't "dock" the console and keep gaming.

But you *can* plug a power cable into the tablet, but that defeats the purpose.

oh the wiiU title? My mistake.

Still.. I've seen ppl charge their handhelds/ phones and still use them. Can just do the same with the Q I assume if you really needed extra battery life. But yes, it needs more than 4. 

Eh. It's a controller, literally a controller. It won't matter if it sells or not. Both MS and SONY found a market in people buying overly expensive controllers and this is taking it one step further. If anything, I think this is a lot more justifiable than the expensive and edgy DualSense.

The Wii U tablet hindered the Wii U because it prevented price cuts, trying to sell the same concept as an accessory isn't a bad idea.