By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Project Q - Destined to fail?

What do you think will happen to Project Q?

It will be a success 1 1.69%

It will do well 11 18.64%

Not sure 11 18.64%

It will fail 28 47.46%

This is the worst idea ever 8 13.56%

Total:59

Looks like it sold out

Around the Network

If we call success meeting their target (and not our own expectations) Portal being sold out in several major markets very fast and scalpers already making very high price I would say it seems like it was successful.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

If we call success meeting their target (and not our own expectations) Portal being sold out in several major markets very fast and scalpers already making very high price I would say it seems like it was successful.

Well I think success/failure comes down to more than just the first couple weeks, like it could sell above expectations this holiday season then sales crater in following years and overall underperforms.

I hope it does well though, seems like a cool device. If/when I get a PS5, I’ll probably get one.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

Well I think success/failure comes down to more than just the first couple weeks, like it could sell above expectations this holiday season then sales crater in following years and overall underperforms.

I hope it does well though, seems like a cool device. If/when I get a PS5, I’ll probably get one.

You are totally right here, it could have a nice/decent opening and a couple months later fail completly.

PSVR2 had a nice opening month but without reports since we have no idea how it is doing (and considering lack of 1st party content and Sony saying their priority now is getting the 25M shipped PS5 and not PSVR2 content/sales it is reasonable to say it isn't doing great).

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

You are totally right here, it could have a nice/decent opening and a couple months later fail completly.

PSVR2 had a nice opening month but without reports since we have no idea how it is doing (and considering lack of 1st party content and Sony saying their priority now is getting the 25M shipped PS5 and not PSVR2 content/sales it is reasonable to say it isn't doing great).

I'm more confident in The Portal vs PSVR2.

Around the Network
TheLegendaryBigBoss said:

Looks like it sold out

Yep, i think it was in spain? it sold more than 3 times the amount (portal) than the series S/X consoles did.

A product that more than 66% of VGZs thought was doomed to fail (myself included)..... is actually outselling the series consoles.
At its price point, to stream your PS5 games, to anywhere in your home.
Its basically a higher quality version of the Wii U tablet... and somehow it manages to sell well.

KLAMarine said:
DonFerrari said:

I'm more confident in The Portal vs PSVR2.

It certainly have a much bigger margin while being cheaper priced and it seems like there is a bigger market to playing it out of your TV (even if you are still home) than to playing on VR (that well also needs specific SW designed for it).

One thing that could make it even more attractive would be couch co-op using it allowing 2 screens of the game without shrinking or "stealing glances of enemy position". For some maybe a 4 people versus using this would be a pro.

Every time a new batch of the system shows up at the official retailers, it goes sold out in minutes.

The device is getting a lot of positive reviews and users claim they are now gaming more than ever on their PS5's due to this, I haven't been able to test it since it will release until February 2024 in Australia.

I think that once more people start to test it, the device can have very decent sales, of course, it all depends on Sony's production.

Seems like it's not going to fail at all.

It seems there is definite interest in the device, with the proof of concept sold I really hope Sony builds the PS5 pro/PS6 with direct streaming in mind so Everyone can have a reliable experience at home ala Wii U. And allow it to function as a controller...