By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - LTTP: Super Mario Galaxy

32 stars in and i ask myself why is this game so highly rated? It's a platformer built on a gimmicks. the controls are not really made for precise 3d platforming, and the platforming is weak so far. the levels are very linear with nothing worth exploring. the bosses basically provide little to no challenge and this is the highest rated game on the 7th gen lol. The story is not good. Donkey Kong tropical freeze is in a different league. it does have great music and great graphics considering the hardware.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 26 May 2023

Around the Network

Didnt realize people were expecting good stories our of Mario games

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

brute said:

Didnt realize people were expecting good stories our of Mario games

I wasn't expecting one. just mentioned it cause  i'm looking for a reason of why this game is the highest rated game of the 7th gen. when it's simple a platformer that doesn't even have good platforming.

Last edited by zeldaring - on 26 May 2023

I think the reviews kind of explain why the rated it so highly. My personal favorite game but different strokes for different folks. Sorry you didn't like it as much as me and others did I guess.

JWeinCom said:

I think the reviews kind of explain why the rated it so highly. My personal favorite game but different strokes for different folks. Sorry you didn't like it as much as me and others did I guess.

I'm 32 stars in where mario gets to be ice mario, does it get much better? I don't get it, i love platformers but the whole game being built around the gravity gimmick with very little platforming and mario 64 controls so  much better doesn't make sense.

Around the Network

It's always hard to play a game for the first time that is 16 years old. Are you playing it on the Switch? Sadly it plays quite a bit better on the Wii controller than the Switches. If you don't like it, honestly move onto something else. I always thought Super Mario Galaxy 2 was the superior game of the Galaxy games.

zeldaring said:
JWeinCom said:

I'm 32 stars in where mario gets to be ice mario, does it get much better? I don't get it, i love platformers but the whole game being built around the gravity gimmick with very little platforming and mario 64 controls so  much better doesn't make sense.

I think the gravity mechanic worked well, and the controls were fine. I think Mario 64 controls great except for the camera which isn't really an issue here and the spin move allows you to adjust just enough (as opposed to the hovering mechanic in Sunshine). I don't know how you can say there is little platforming when pretty much the whole game is jumping from thing to thing. Unless you take platform in a super literal sense where you actually have to be jumping onto a literal platform. Even then I feel there's quite a bit of that. I'm not sure what you feel you've been doing if not platforming.

But, if you don't like it so far, I would guess you probably won't. Especially if you have already sampled a wide variety of the levels. There's a chance you would like Galaxy 2 more as it is more challenging. Or if you just don't like the linearity, Odyssey might suit you better.

JWeinCom said:
zeldaring said:

I think the gravity mechanic worked well, and the controls were fine. I think Mario 64 controls great except for the camera which isn't really an issue here and the spin move allows you to adjust just enough (as opposed to the hovering mechanic in Sunshine). I don't know how you can say there is little platforming when pretty much the whole game is jumping from thing to thing. Unless you take platform in a super literal sense where you actually have to be jumping onto a literal platform. Even then I feel there's quite a bit of that. I'm not sure what you feel you've been doing if not platforming.

But, if you don't like it so far, I would guess you probably won't. Especially if you have already sampled a wide variety of the levels. There's a chance you would like Galaxy 2 more as it is more challenging. Or if you just don't like the linearity, Odyssey might suit you better.

its a 7 out of 10. the gravity mechanic is a gimmick  good for a few levels but building the game around is very repetitive and annoying. when i say good platforming i'm talking about something like donkey kong tropical freeze where the controls are perfections and platforming requires skill so far very little in that with this game. the game control are just not that great.  I'm watching Odyssey that looks much better gameplay wise but i hear you have to go through 30 hours of collecting moons before you get a challenge   

Gotta be the first time I've ever heard someone not loving Galaxy, let alone not even liking it lol. It's highly rated because everyone else thinks it is a fantastic game.

But hey not every game is for everyone. I find the GTA games boring, yet that's pretty much the most popular series in gaming haha.

But yea, Galaxy is an absolute gem (for 99% of people).

Slownenberg said:

Gotta be the first time I've ever heard someone not loving Galaxy, let alone not even liking it lol. It's highly rated because everyone else thinks it is a fantastic game.

But hey not every game is for everyone. I find the GTA games boring, yet that's pretty much the most popular series in gaming haha.

But yea, Galaxy is an absolute gem (for 99% of people).

I don't hate it. it just  nothing special. it's repetitive as heck. most levels look the same. the design just doesn't make for good platforming and camera is horrible.