By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

Arfen said:

Maybe I'm Wrong but Fumitsu doesn't count copies from Azmazon or Nintendo Store.. so the rate atthach can be 60/40 at launch week

They only don't count the Nintendo store. They estimate Amazon's sales.

Around the Network
UnderwaterFunktown said:
Norion said:

2nd best 20th week for the Switch though it'll calm down soon. The high digital share makes me wonder what the final game to have a 1m physical launch in Japan will be when the share gets too big for that to happen anymore.

With both Scarlet and Violet and Splatoon 3 managing more than 2.5m last year I think the end of 1m+ physical is a long way off, if ever. It will probably get rarer though.

My guess is it'll be a Pokemon game sometime in the 2030's so 10-15 years from now.

Good PS5 numbers considering it was having some stock issues.

Too bad most of the Switch software didn't get much of a boost despite the mastodon launch of Zelda TOTK.
Also yeah the 50% physical/digital split is mostly due to the price increase which lead more people to actually use the vouchers instead since it is cheaper.

Despite that, Nintendo has the physical market in lock with these releases, you won't see these numbers on launch often knowadays unless it's from Monster Hunter hahaha

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909 

Kakadu18 said:
Megiddo said:

Obviously not a complete 50% digital attachment since the 2.24M copies includes physical copies still on store shelves or were in transit (and as pointed below, also physical copies sold at stores that aren't tracked or estimated by Famitsu like the Nintendo Store) but it's close enough. Fantastic first week for TotK.

@Arfen Famitsu estimates the copies sold for Amazon and includes that estimate with its numbers.

No it does not include copies still on shelves and in transit. Nintendo reported sellthrough. They always report sellthrough in these PRs. If they say sold they mean sold. If they reported shipments they wouldn't need to use any trackers for anything.

I thought that Nintendo always reports sold as shipped. Any PR that they specifically say sellthrough or sold to consumers?

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Kakadu18 said:

No it does not include copies still on shelves and in transit. Nintendo reported sellthrough. They always report sellthrough in these PRs. If they say sold they mean sold. If they reported shipments they wouldn't need to use any trackers for anything.

I thought that Nintendo always reports sold as shipped. Any PR that they specifically say sellthrough or sold to consumers?

On their financial reports they report shipped because that is what matters for finances.

Outside of that they talk about sold, meaning how many actually sold. So whenever they mention launch sales they are talking about launch sales, not just how much they shipped for the launch.

Slownenberg said:
Farsala said:

On their financial reports they report shipped because that is what matters for finances.

Outside of that they talk about sold, meaning how many actually sold. So whenever they mention launch sales they are talking about launch sales, not just how much they shipped for the launch.

Of course, but Nintendo usually doesn't differentiate from the 2, so everyone has to assume sold= shipped. sony PR specifically says "sold to consumers", rather than "sold" to make sure people understand.

Farsala said:
Slownenberg said:

Of course, but Nintendo usually doesn't differentiate from the 2, so everyone has to assume sold= shipped. sony PR specifically says "sold to consumers", rather than "sold" to make sure people understand.

Sold means sold, otherwise they always say shipped and shipment. Where do you get that they don't differentiate between them.

Because any product that is sold to a retailer to be placed on a shelf to be sold to a customer is "sold", especially in Japan where there are no returns of unsold products like there are in some other countries.

PS5 is one week away from passing last year's total.