By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

8 of the top 10 are Nintendo games, the Japanese sure do love the big N.

Switch widening it's YTD lead, now 150k ahead. Looks like even in it's 7th year it will continue as the leading hardware.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:
Farsala said:

Of course, but Nintendo usually doesn't differentiate from the 2, so everyone has to assume sold= shipped. sony PR specifically says "sold to consumers", rather than "sold" to make sure people understand.

Sold means sold, otherwise they always say shipped and shipment. Where do you get that they don't differentiate between them.

I said they usually don't, which is why I said I wanted specific keywords like "sell-through" or "sold to consumers" rather than just "sold".

Example 1: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221108e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 getting off to a good start with sales of 7.90 million units, as well as Nintendo Switch Sports
at 6.15 million units, Mario Strikers: Battle League at 2.17 million units, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at 1.72 million units sold"

Example 2: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221109e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 Initial Sell-Through of 6.7m Units"

Both PRs refer to the same period of time but one says sold, and the other says sell through with a clear difference of 1.2m units. Sold here refers to shipped + digital. Sell through refers to actual number of units sold.

Zelda tears through the charts

@Farsala

Pokémon Sun/Moon had a day one shipment of 10mil. Pokémon S/V sold 10mil in the first 3 days and they said it was the biggest opening of a Nintendo game ever.

Last edited by Kakadu18 - on 19 May 2023

curl-6 said:

Switch widening it's YTD lead, now 150k ahead. Looks like even in it's 7th year it will continue as the leading hardware.

Yeah, looks like it will be rather difficult for Switch to close the year with below 3.5 million.

And I guess this number will be absolutely impossible to reach for PS5. This really would be a miracle.

Around the Network
Kakadu18 said:

@Farsala

Pokémon Sun/Moon had a day one shipment of 10mil. Pokémon S/V sold 10mil in the first 3 days and they said it was the biggest opening of a Nintendo game ever.

3 things.

1. Pokemon Sun/Moon had -day 1 shipments of 10m.

2. Pokemon S/V was the biggest number at day 3. But Pokemon Sun/Moon didn't launch globally (in Europe) until day 6. So technically if they write their PR in a way to ignore the global sales/shipments of Europe, they would be correct. S/V > Sun/Moon.

3. They specifically state it is the biggest Globally AND domestically. Now this is key because Pokemon Sun and Moon did quite poorly in Japan comparatively, with only 1.591m sales reported by media create, which is worse than Pokemon X and Y. So again their PR is correct. S/V> Sun/Moon.

So if Pokemon S/V sold 10m = shipped, they would still be correct with their PR.

@ShadowLink93 thanks for splitting up weeks 18 and 19 correctly. I wasn't aware that Famitsu mentioned anything other than the combined sales for both weeks.

Switch is now a good margin ahead of 2019. That could last until fall and the release of Switch Lite.

I expect that Switch total sales of 2023 are the same as 2017 and 2018 (3.4 M), even if it's currently tracking way ahead of both years. The holidays sales should be much lower this year, though.

We've entered a timeline where Zelda moves more sales than FF in Japan. 

What the F!! Hory sheit!! :O

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

DaAndy said:
curl-6 said:

Yeah, looks like it will be rather difficult for Switch to close the year with below 3.5 million.

And I guess this number will be absolutely impossible to reach for PS5. This really would be a miracle.

We will see.

I still think theres a 50:50 chance of PS5 selling more than Switch this year in Japan.

Switch is near saturation in Japan, look at it not really getting a big bump with Zelda even though they are available, PS5 is still not readily available.

If the PS5 starts outselling the Switch again sometime next month then I expect the end result for the year to be close