By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

GProgrammer said:
DaAndy said:

Yeah, looks like it will be rather difficult for Switch to close the year with below 3.5 million.

And I guess this number will be absolutely impossible to reach for PS5. This really would be a miracle.

We will see.

I still think theres a 50:50 chance of PS5 selling more than Switch this year in Japan.

Switch is near saturation in Japan, look at it not really getting a big bump with Zelda even though they are available, PS5 is still not readily available.

If the PS5 starts outselling the Switch again sometime next month then I expect the end result for the year to be close

Stock isn't really holding the PS5 back in Japan anymore. It's really unlikely it gets to 3 million and the Switch is pretty much guaranteed to reach that so it's definitely not 50:50.

Around the Network
Norion said:
GProgrammer said:

We will see.

I still think theres a 50:50 chance of PS5 selling more than Switch this year in Japan.

Switch is near saturation in Japan, look at it not really getting a big bump with Zelda even though they are available, PS5 is still not readily available.

If the PS5 starts outselling the Switch again sometime next month then I expect the end result for the year to be close

Stock isn't really holding the PS5 back in Japan anymore. It's really unlikely it gets to 3 million and the Switch is pretty much guaranteed to reach that so it's definitely not 50:50.

Let's see after ff16 releases.  It will give ps5 a bigger boost than TotK gave switch

GProgrammer said:
DaAndy said:

Yeah, looks like it will be rather difficult for Switch to close the year with below 3.5 million.

And I guess this number will be absolutely impossible to reach for PS5. This really would be a miracle.

We will see.

The Switch got a big bump to over 120k, the 88k and then 83k. It was down a lot yoy before that snd now is not just up yoy but also ahead of 2019. And all of that is because of Zelda.

Pinkie_pie said:
Norion said:

Let's see after ff16 releases.  It will give ps5 a bigger boost than TotK gave switch

I doubt that but we'll see. The fact the PS5 will do over 2m this year is already plenty good enough, 3m would be insane so it shouldn't be expected at all.

It seems Ghost of Tsushima has hit 1m.

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/457265/ghost-of-tsushima-sales-top-1-million-units-in-japan/

Physical sales by the end of 2021 was 560k. I imagine shipped is close to sold by this point in GoT's lifecycle, so maybe >400k digital?

Around the Network
Farsala said:
Kakadu18 said:

Sold means sold, otherwise they always say shipped and shipment. Where do you get that they don't differentiate between them.

I said they usually don't, which is why I said I wanted specific keywords like "sell-through" or "sold to consumers" rather than just "sold".

Example 1: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221108e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 getting off to a good start with sales of 7.90 million units, as well as Nintendo Switch Sports
at 6.15 million units, Mario Strikers: Battle League at 2.17 million units, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at 1.72 million units sold"

Example 2: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221109e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 Initial Sell-Through of 6.7m Units"

Both PRs refer to the same period of time but one says sold, and the other says sell through with a clear difference of 1.2m units. Sold here refers to shipped + digital. Sell through refers to actual number of units sold.

You need to stop with that bullshit, Nintendo is the most transparent company when it comes to sales data unlike Sony and Microsoft. 

Sold-through = sold to costumers. This is not from a company that hides flop hardware sales figure by combining with other hardware to make it looks good and using bullshit calculation to inflate revenue numbers. Fortunately there was a figure called operating profits where they made so much lower than Nintendo despite releasing a new hardware. 

DP

GoT hitting 1m would paint a picture of PS digital ratio being somewhere between 30-50%

Worth Keeping in mind when comparing modern releases to their decade old counterparts

LGBTDBZBBQ said:
Farsala said:

I said they usually don't, which is why I said I wanted specific keywords like "sell-through" or "sold to consumers" rather than just "sold".

Example 1: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221108e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 getting off to a good start with sales of 7.90 million units, as well as Nintendo Switch Sports
at 6.15 million units, Mario Strikers: Battle League at 2.17 million units, and Xenoblade Chronicles 3 at 1.72 million units sold"

Example 2: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2022/221109e.pdf

"Splatoon 3 Initial Sell-Through of 6.7m Units"

Both PRs refer to the same period of time but one says sold, and the other says sell through with a clear difference of 1.2m units. Sold here refers to shipped + digital. Sell through refers to actual number of units sold.

You need to stop with that bullshit, Nintendo is the most transparent company when it comes to sales data unlike Sony and Microsoft. 

Sold-through = sold to costumers. This is not from a company that hides flop hardware sales figure by combining with other hardware to make it looks good and using bullshit calculation to inflate revenue numbers. Fortunately there was a figure called operating profits where they made so much lower than Nintendo despite releasing a new hardware. 

No you need to stop it, slow down and read properly.

Sold-through = sold to costumers is exactly what I am saying.