By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Famitsu Sales: Week 20, 2023 (May 08 - May 14)

They gave us last week's numbers so we know the split for the previous two weeks (golden week holiday).

Last edited by ShadowLink93 - on 18 May 2023

Around the Network
kenjab said:

Mediacreate reported 2.24M copies of TotK, including digital, so it's a 50% digital attachment for that game at launch

Nintendo reported that, Media Create doesn't have digital. They just used Media Create's physical number.

50% digital is excellent. At that price vouchers always have a strong effect.

Signalstar said:

Switch sales actually went down on TOTK launch week. I wonder if anything other special edition Switches or hardware bundles can boos sales anymore.

Man PS5 sales were horrible last year. Both PS5 and PS4 are up greatly.

Xbox is failing even compared to its own sales last year...

The Zelda OLED Switch apparently had stock issues last week right before the game's launch.

Kakadu18 said:
kenjab said:

Mediacreate reported 2.24M copies of TotK, including digital, so it's a 50% digital attachment for that game at launch

Nintendo reported that, Media Create doesn't have digital. They just used Media Create's physical number.

50% digital is excellent. At that price vouchers always have a strong effect.

Got it...that was a misunderstanding on my part.  I've edited my comment accordingly.

Switch: SW-3707-5131-3911
XBox: Kenjabish

Obviously not a complete 50% digital attachment since the 2.24M copies includes physical copies still on store shelves or were in transit (and as pointed below, also physical copies sold at stores that aren't tracked or estimated by Famitsu like the Nintendo Store) but it's close enough. Fantastic first week for TotK.

@Arfen Famitsu estimates the copies sold for Amazon and includes that estimate with its numbers.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 18 May 2023

Around the Network

Maybe I'm Wrong but Fumitsu doesn't count copies from Azmazon or Nintendo Store.. so the rate atthach can be 60/40 at launch week

Norion said:

2nd best 20th week for the Switch though it'll calm down soon. The high digital share makes me wonder what the final game to have a 1m physical launch in Japan will be when the share gets too big for that to happen anymore.

With both Scarlet and Violet and Splatoon 3 managing more than 2.5m last year I think the end of 1m+ physical is a long way off, if ever. It will probably get rarer though.

Try out my free game on Steam

2024 OpenCritic Prediction Leagues:

Nintendo | PlayStation | Multiplat

Nintendo better support Switch until 2025

Megiddo said:

Obviously not a complete 50% digital attachment since the 2.24M copies includes physical copies still on store shelves or were in transit (and as pointed below, also physical copies sold at stores that aren't tracked or estimated by Famitsu like the Nintendo Store) but it's close enough. Fantastic first week for TotK.

@Arfen Famitsu estimates the copies sold for Amazon and includes that estimate with its numbers.

No it does not include copies still on shelves and in transit. Nintendo reported sellthrough. They always report sellthrough in these PRs. If they say sold they mean sold. If they reported shipments they wouldn't need to use any trackers for anything.

Megiddo said:

Nah Nintendo reported 2,240,000 sell-through (retail sales + digital sales), not shipped.

>10,000,000 global 3-day WW is also sell-through, not shipped.  Nintendo has issued many of these PRs during the Switch lifetime and they are all for sell-through.  The shipped data is only reported in their quarterly financial updates.

Nintendo PR Link

US PR

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--In the three days since its launch on May 12, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom game for the Nintendo Switch system sold over 10 million units worldwide, becoming the fastest-selling game in the history of the Legend of Zelda series. With over 4 million sold in the Americas, The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom is also the fastest-selling Nintendo Switch game and the fastest-selling Nintendo game for any system in that territory.

JP PR

Translated by Google

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Headquarters: Minami-ku, Kyoto, President: Shuntaro Furukawa, hereinafter referred to as "Nintendo") is pleased to announce that the Nintendo Switch software "The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom", which was released simultaneously worldwide on May 12, 2023. We are pleased to announce that the cumulative number of worldwide sales has exceeded 10 million units (of which 2.24 million units have been sold domestically) in the first three days after its release (*1 ) .